Sunday night football Bengals vs Steelers thread

combatbengal

Defense stunk up the joint most of the night and let an early ST's gaffe turn into a blow out. Offensive line blew it in the 1st quarter, terrible protection, 2 penalties (on Whit I believe).

Not having Newman sucks, #1 and #2 CB's not playing, need Newman back for post season.

Zimmer better figure out what's up with his defense quick. That was as bad as i've seen them play in a long time, from the standpoint of just getting beat and out-played.

Pretty flat-looking team over-all. Never going to win a playoff game on the road, gotta win these next 2 now and make sure they get a 1st round home game.

I don't normally get frustrated and try to stay positive because I know this team doesn't quit. I think the injuries are very concerning and I knew at the beginning of the season that the injuries would be the only thing that keeps them from a division win.

This game is over. We are still in control of our own destiny. We need to get a punter/holder and do what needs to be done at the CB situation.

Root for the Lions tomorrow night, and hope that we can get the punter and get ready for the last 2 at home!

We win the last 2 at home, we win the division, and at least play the first game at home!

WHO DEY!!

Defense stunk up the joint most of the night and let an early ST's gaffe turn into a blow out. Offensive line blew it in the 1st quarter, terrible protection, 2 penalties (on Whit I believe).

Not having Newman sucks, #1 and #2 CB's not playing, need Newman back for post season.

Zimmer better figure out what's up with his defense quick. That was as bad as i've seen them play in a long time, from the standpoint of just getting beat and out-played.

Pretty flat-looking team over-all. Never going to win a playoff game on the road, gotta win these next 2 now and make sure they get a 1st round home game.

Our defense has kept us in the game and won the few road games that we've won.

I said it before pre-season games Shula, that the only thing that would keep us from a division win would be injuries.

We couldn't even get out of the gate without losing 2 good players in Geathers and Lamur!

We need to root for the Lions tomorrow night and adjust and beat the Vikings at home!

It's 10 hours later and I am still full-blown irate over the dirty and unflagged hit that ended Huber's season. So much wrong with that its hard to know where to begin.

I'm with you mem. Call me crazy but I thought I remembered this whole controversy about a new rule outlawing leading with the crown of the helmet last offseason. Guess that was just my imagination.

As to the game, a rotten outing in all phases. The oline was routinely beat. The stupid pre-snap penalties returned, for no reason whatsoever, it wasn't like there was a crowd to make noise. Receivers couldn't get open. Dalton didn't look particularly bad but couldn't do much, in part because he was running for his life half the time. Playcalling was back to looking like Gruden was picking random plays out of a hat. And Gresh fighting for yards fumbles...again. Green was about the only guy on O who looked like he came to play. Nice job by Jones getting open for a TD.

Defense couldn't get any pressure. The undermanned secondary was abused. Kirkpatrick looked like dog poop. Ought to be renamed Misspatrick, I don't think I've ever seen someone wiff as many times as he did. Was there even another LB on the field other than Burfict? Pacman did make a nice play on that pick.

Teams completely spit the bit. Flubbed a punt, allowed a return TD. Minor props to Nugent and Andy for ably filling in for Kevin.

Neither Gruden, Zimmer nor Marvin had any answers last night.

Just a crap game. Oh well, it happens. Bring on Minnesota.

I'm not nearly as angered by the loss as I am what happened to Huber.

I just had that feeling in my gut the rest of the game that I wanted to see them go get some revenge.

Get mad, get aggressive, get even, get something. No grrrr and sh*t whatsoever.

While not trying to be negative, I am really concerned about their chances with the amount of injuries we have suffered.

There is only so much "next man up" a team can absorb and I think this team has reached it's limit.

To their credit, the fact they have maintained this long is admirable.

Now get back out there, get angry, and win the last two games.

The two games that we truly lost this year were kind of similar. Last night and the first game against the Browns.

Opposing defense very aggressive and opposing offense could do no wrong.

You had the bad snap on the punt last night and the one bad snap in the Browns game where Cook hit his leg and Bernard ended up falling on it for a huge loss.

I was just on the Bengals site and it appears all the players are still positive.

We need a win tonight by the Lions, a punter, and to go undefeated at home this year.

Yes, with the losses it's going to be tough, but it can be done.

The Ravens did it last year with I believe 15 injuries!!

I will say this about Dalton, given NO running game, shoddy offensive line play (didn't see that coming), and receivers dropping balls all over the place, along with the 21-0 hole thanks to special teams, I was pleased that he didn't compound the problems with some INTs while forcing the ball places. Was glad to see him play mistake free football for the most part in a tough spot, given the cold, the wind, and a Steelers team that could pin their ears back. Baby steps of progress.

Florio, of all people, acknowledging the dirty with the Huber hit:

If Kevin Huber weren’t the Bengals punter, the helmet-to-chin hit applied to him by Steelers linebacker Terence Garvin may have been legal. Since Huber is a punter, it doesn’t matter.

Punters and kickers at all times fall within the definition of defenseless players. This means that they can’t be struck by an opponent with a helmet or in the head or neck area.

In this specific case, Garvin hit Huber with a helmet in the head, breaking Huber’s jaw. A flag should have been thrown.

Don’t be shocked if the league admits the mistake during the week. Even if an express admission isn’t made, the fine that inevitably will be imposed on Garvin will do all the talking.

Not that any of that will fix Huber's jaw. Eff the NFL for enabling that BS from the Steelers, constantly.