Bengals @ Lions

Scottishbengal

After last weekends first road win in Gruffalo we move onto Detroit for the Battle of the Big Cats .... The Clash of The Big pu**ies :lol:/>

For British / Euro fans you can see the game live on SKY starting at 5:30pm on Sunday ....... :sure:/>

I'm feeling rather iffy on this one. Maybe it's just the bad 4th quarter yesterday giving me pause, but my initial perspective is to expect a close loss. I actually think we match up pretty nicely with Detroit, but they've been playing pretty well and will be in the comfort of their stupid dome. Reggie Bush may pose a problem considering the success Spiller just had. Stafford is a capable quarterback, but I think this defense has proven that the quality of the quarterback is completely irrelevant to their performance.

Some notes from Detroit:

/>http://www.freep.com/article/20131014/SPORTS01/310140107/detroit-lions-snap-counts-calvin-johnson

Expect Megatron to be limited in practice this week as they ease him back from injury. He should play Sunday.

Rashean Mathis was hurt Sunday.

They have a UDFA TE who caught three touchdowns yesterday. Not good news for us considering how the Bengals struggle covering TEs.

Initial thoughts without looking at anything other than the teams ?? Bengals lose.

Much like the Patriots game, a win wouldn't surprise me in the least either.

That's the thing with this Bengals team.

Seeing them doing anything from losing big, winning big, to anything in between that wouldn't surprise me.

Eh, I think we struggle in this one. Especially if Calvin Johnson is 100% healthy. We do not have anyone (as much as I like Leon) that can remotely cover that guy. I also think we'll struggle with Reggie Bush out of the back field. The Lions remind me a lot of us...superbly talented. Their interior D-Line is pretty nasty and Suh is going to be hard to handle. The fact that it's in Detroit and we're just not very good on the road only compounds the fact. I'm predicting a loss in this one, 31-20.

Also predicting people will be back to jumping off the bandwagon, Bengals suck, Andy Dalton needs to be benched for Josh Johnson or any available bum on the street, and all that nonsense. When in reality, it's just going to be a loss to a good NFL team on the road. That's Bengals fans for ya...gotta love 'em.

The Lions D sucks. A lot.

I like to see their run defense sitting proudly at 29th in the league (and 21st against the pass). I'm just not convinced that will translate to consistent offensive success. If they can build on the good things they did in Buffalo then that would be great.

The defense seems to be at its best against the most talented offenses for some reason so we'll see. This one feels iffy to me going in, but the Bengals are certainly capable of winning. They're better put together than the Lions are.

I wasn't aware the Lions defense was so bad and in looking at who they've played, the win against the Bears is the only that stands out.

I suppose last week against the Browns in Cleveland as well, but their schedule hasn't been brutal.

This is going to come down to which defense can hold the other teams offense in check.

Megatron, Bush, and their new found TE will present some major concerns for our defense.

This one appears to have shootout written all over it.

Bengals- 31

Lions- 28

Some notes from Detroit:

/>http://www.freep.com/article/20131014/SPORTS01/310140107/detroit-lions-snap-counts-calvin-johnson

Expect Megatron to be limited in practice this week as they ease him back from injury. He should play Sunday.

Rashean Mathis was hurt Sunday.

They have a UDFA TE who caught three touchdowns yesterday. Not good news for us considering how the Bengals struggle covering TEs.

Aslong as they keep Carlos off the TE i thought we've done better job this year outside of the Browns game.

It's all about ball control, Marvin said that's the way this team is built, and I don't see it any different. Run the ball then run it some more. The offense is much better when they control the clock.

Time for the defense to make turnovers, that's what I'm hoping for in this game more turnovers!

Hello everyone I'm a Lions fan. I joined to come in and welcome your team to DET. I'm not a smack talker but I do love to talk football. I hope you don't mind me stopping by to talk about this weeks match-up.

Here's to a hard fought injury free game and may the best team win.

I'd like to address some statements made in this thread.

First to the poster who wants to come to DET to see the game. Please come on up. You won't be disappointed. DET can be a safe town and its not nearly as bad as the press it gets. I frequent down town DET a lot and I always feel safe. I've been to most NFL stadiums and I can honestly say Ford Field is one of the best to watch a game at. There's no bad seats and its a real nice stadium. If you do decide to come up I would be willing to recommend hotels, restaurants and parking to make your stay in DET a fun, safe and enjoyable time.

On the Lions DEF - It doesn't suck by any means.

Here's some stats for you.

Giving 23 PPG = 14th

Giving 393 YPG = 7th

Giving 268 Pass YPG = 21st

Allowing 125 rush YPG = 29th

Allowing 61% completion% = 17th

Getting 10 INTs = Tied for first

Getting 5 fumbles = Tied for 3rd

As for our run DEF - Were inconsistent. We shut down Forte and Petterson most the game but then blew a big run to skew those numbers. We're much harder to run on then the stats show but expect us to make a crucial mistake for a big gain.

Our DEF is very opportunistic and will create turnovers and out a lot of pressure on your QB. Our CBs are suspect and your QB should have little trouble completing passes against their soft zone coverages. Our safeties are pretty good. We have a stud DL.

Our offense when healthy is very high powered but right now were not healthy.

At WR - CJ is nursing a knee injury. He was out two weeks ago against GB but was back in limited action again CLE. Nate Burleson our #2 is out due to a broken arm. Our #3 Broyles is not 100% and coming off two ACL injuries. Our #4 Edwards has been hurt and inconsistent so we just cut him to make room for us to go in another direction.

TE's are pretty good Pettigrew can be inconsistent but he's a solid TE, Schefler a receiving TE is out but this is not a concern because Fauria his back-up is better reciever then him and will get more snaps.

RB's have been banged up but Bush is 100% Bell is a great number two but he could be out this week. Leshoure is a nice number 3. Bush is a stud on Ford Field turf because it plays fast.

Honestly I think this should be a good match-up. DET is a bit beat up right now but their still playing fairly well.

Good luck and I'm willing to answer any questions.

Thanks for the overview, Air.

You make a good point about an opportunistic defense, and that's very likely what this game will come down to. The Bengals have struggled to control the ball at times this season. If they can do that this week, then I like their chances. If not, then we could be in for Chicago v 2.0.

I hate the matchup between the Lions' d-line and the interior of our o-line. Cook and Boling are servicable against an average front but elite players tend to dominate them. Gruden is going to have to move Dalton around and that hasn't really been his game.

I hate the matchup between the Lions' d-line and the interior of our o-line. Cook and Boling are servicable against an average front but elite players tend to dominate them. Gruden is going to have to move Dalton around and that hasn't really been his game.

Boling has been solid this year.

According to Cincy Jungle, it looks like Boling and Zeitler will be handling their big guys for most of the game.

NO WORRIES: One might think surrender to a nervous breakdown thinking about the attack Suh and Fairley could bring against Cincinnati's offense, especially with Kyle Cook at center. While it's true that Cook scores the worst grade as a pass blocker, Suh and Fairley should generally be assigned to Clint Boling and Kevin Zeitler. According to Pro Football Focus, Boling and Zeitler are ranked as the fourth and seventh best offensive guards in the NFL.

Uh huh. And according to PFF Dalton ranks 32 out of 38 QBs in the league who've taken at least 25% of snaps. And that figure is way out of whack versus anything from QB rating to espn's QBR to Football Outsiders' DVOA rankings.

I have found myself becoming increasingly skeptical of anything PFF says. And Boling being in the top 10 guards league-wide just doesn't pass the smell test to me.