Steelers @ Bengals MNF Game Thread

HoosierCat

It was only a five yard penalty but one horrible call was the encroachment on Carlos Dunlap with about 7 mins to go in the 3rd qtr. DeCastro clearly moved first. You have officials staring at the line trained to watch for this. How they missed it is beyond me but unacceptable for the NFL. Since it awarded 5 yds to Pitt instead of us, it really cost us 10 yds

Yup, that was bad. So was the phantom holding call on Gresham that wiped out a nice run by Bernard for a first down.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As bad as Dalton was starting out the game, I think he rebounded VERY well. As someone pointed out above, his pass to Gresham when he was getting drilled was fantastic.

I was also very impressed by his 3rd down conversion to Marvin Jones on the sideline. The guy can make throws, and owes a lot to his offensive line for giving him the time to make them.

Hoosier, I agree about Gruden last night. The imbalance in the 1st half was inexcusable. And, as I pointed out earlier, I couldn't believe how often they yanked Eifert on 3rd down plays. It's clear how dangerous they are with Bernard and Eifert on the field.

I was also very impressed by his 3rd down conversion to Marvin Jones on the sideline. The guy can make throws, and owes a lot to his offensive line for giving him the time to make them.

it was his best throw. One could argue that it was his only good throw. Even some of the nice plays (eg Eifert's long catch) were thrown off a little by his passes.

Every QB has his off games. It's nice that in spite of being off,Dalton found ways to help win this game.

also, he had to throw a lot of outs, which can quickly be pick 6's. Andy read the defense correctly and attacked the defense, rather than handing over points.

Enjoy some misery from Stiller-land...

http://stillers.com/...bd-cf6148714be0

Synopsis: A sorry outfit going nowhere fast. No vision, no leadership, no intelligence, and too little playmaking talent. It's 1998-2000 all over again. Sure, there are plenty of games remaining, but does anyone have the slightest bit of faith in this coaching staff turning around this listless ship?

lol.gif Wow Venom City here we come.

By the way the Steelers are 2-7 over their last nine games including the two from this season. They beat the Ravens in early December and the Browns on the last day of the season.

http://www.nfl.com/s...12/REG/Steelers

Yeah, the Stillers guys are way over the top. :lol:/> I actually think that Pitt will have a decent second half of the season. Not enough to make the playoffs, but getting Miller and Bell back will do wonders for the offense, which has nothing in the way of playmakers at the moment. However, their last few drafts have been so-so and they've got another salary cap train wreck in 2014. So they could do just well enough this year to miss out on a blue-chip pick, and have to let more vet talent go next year, too. In other words, a win-win. :lol:/>

I agree with Army that BJGE deserves more credit. I don't think the Bengals staff is going to pay much attention for media and fanbase demands for Gio to become the feature back, and I can't blame them. I love Gio Bernard and am completely thrilled to have him on this team causing matchup nightmares every time he sees the field. But Green-Ellis is the one that milked the clock in the fourth quarter (and due credit to his boys up front too) with some beautiful physical running. He knows his role and he fills it wonderfully. I trust that man more on 3rd and 1 than any Bengals back since Dillon.

I don't know which one should get more carries, but I hope they both continue to get their opportunities. The combination seems so perfect.

I can't multi-task during the game, so I don't usually post in the ongoing game thread. I just had to come and see this morning if anyone (everyone?) had the same impression that Dalton was consistently inaccurate, especially in the first half. It almost became comical. I thought he was going to throw a hand-off high he was floating so many balls. I was attributing it to nerves for a while, but it just kept going. Second half was generally much better, so at least there's that. I just don't remember seeing so many high throws since Palmer left. Here's hoping that is better on Sunday or some of those are going to start getting picked.

I agree with Army that BJGE deserves more credit. I don't think the Bengals staff is going to pay much attention for media and fanbase demands for Gio to become the feature back, and I can't blame them. I love Gio Bernard and am completely thrilled to have him on this team causing matchup nightmares every time he sees the field. But Green-Ellis is the one that milked the clock in the fourth quarter (and due credit to his boys up front too) with some beautiful physical running. He knows his role and he fills it wonderfully. I trust that man more on 3rd and 1 than any Bengals back since Dillon.

I don't know which one should get more carries, but I hope they both continue to get their opportunities. The combination seems so perfect.

I agree with everything you said here, except for the 3rd and 1 thing. Rudi had a damned fine nose for short-yardage situations. I'm on the side of the people (few as they seem to be) that think Law Firm plays his role well. I think as a two-headed monster, he and Gio are fantastic combination. Law Firm by himself is problematic, but the dynamic duo turns him from a liability into a useful tool.

I can't multi-task during the game, so I don't usually post in the ongoing game thread. I just had to come and see this morning if anyone (everyone?) had the same impression that Dalton was consistently inaccurate, especially in the first half. It almost became comical. I thought he was going to throw a hand-off high he was floating so many balls. I was attributing it to nerves for a while, but it just kept going. Second half was generally much better, so at least there's that. I just don't remember seeing so many high throws since Palmer left. Here's hoping that is better on Sunday or some of those are going to start getting picked.

Oh yeah, and the officials officially sucked. Looks like we got a Pac-12 crew out there.

OK, everyone who chastised the Bengals for drafting Gio Bernard instead of Eddie Lacy, be a man and admit your sins here right here and now

In looking back at the draft thread, there wasn't really anyone who flat out hated the pick. Some thought Lacy would have been the better option, but weren't mad about Gio. I always contended that Gio was the better fit for what our offense wanted to do and felt BJGE would also benefit having Gio to counter what he does within the offense. There was talk about the Bengals being all in for Lacy, but I think that was more a screen than anything else. The Bengals were noted to have been talking with Gio from early on in the draft process. It shouldn't have surprised anyone.

BJGE and the o-line are tops in my book from last nights game.

/>http://stillers.com/Article/View/265eb3cb-d77c-45b4-97bd-cf6148714be0

What the hell is that about ??

First he calls the Bengals a mediocre team.

Mediocre as in holding their offense to 44 yards on 16 attempts ??

Or maybe it was the 2 sacks, 1 INT and forced fumble from our defense and holding them to 278 yards ??

I don't know, but that was a funny word to use.

Anyone catch him calling Antonio Brown a "fag".

Classy website right there.

/>http://stillers.com/Article/View/265eb3cb-d77c-45b4-97bd-cf6148714be0

What the hell is that about ??

First he calls the Bengals a mediocre team.

Mediocre as in holding their offense to 44 yards on 16 attempts ??

Or maybe it was the 2 sacks, 1 INT and forced fumble from our defense and holding them to 278 yards ??

I don't know, but that was a funny word to use.

Anyone catch him calling Antonio Brown a "fag".

Classy website right there.

Saw this on another board:

"Anyone got 6 feet of rope for me to borrow?"

"Just untie the chick in Roethlisberger's trunk."