Dunlap Extended

HoosierCat

6 years, $40 million. :sure:/>/>/>

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/15/bengals-do-long-term-deal-with-carlos-dunlap/

Seems a bit risky given his injury history but it's not insane $$. Front loaded with $20 million over the next two years.

Enjoy the last year of MJ in stripes.

As between MJ and Dunlap, Dunlap is the better player IMO. That said, the red flags are there. Injury history and (for whatever reason) the fact that he has consistently landed in Zimmer's doghouse are some reason for concern. All in all, I'm pretty pleased they made this deal now. Kinda wish they hadn't tagged MJ now, but hindsight...

This has the potential of looking like a genius move in a couple years IF he can stay healthy.

This from Albert Breer's twitter:

Bengals' final offer to Johnson was around $40M over 5 years. But considering he has $11.2M guar for '13, really $28.8M in new $ over 4.

Interesting, to me at least, that they topped out at $40 million. They just don't seem willing to go over that number.

I like the move as well. This is part of what the team said it was going to do and it's hard to argue with the decision.

There were reports going back last season that Zimmer thought MJ was more coachable, but Dunlap was the better of the two players.

They got Dunlap the same way they need to get Atkins. Offer him a great deal that puts a large amount in his pocket RIGHT NOW.

I simply think it's too hard for a player to take that kind of risk in turning it down.

While there are injury concerns, I think things will work out just fine.

Margus Hunt gets a whole season to learn more and get snaps and there is always the 2014 draft to continue the build.

It's been a pretty good day for Bengals fans.

Come to think about the 20 million over the first two seasons.

If the Bengals hold off on Atkins and tag him in 2014, the last 4 seasons of Dunlap's contract are probably an easier hit on the cap.

With there being a club option for a 5th year on AJ and then a possible tag, this could get interesting in how things get done.

Just trying to reason things out.

So far I think things on the defensive line have played out about how conventional wisdom expected: Dunlap extended, MJ replaced by Hunt next year and Atkins in line for the 2014 tag.

As for Green, the Bengals can indeed exercise a fifth year option following this season. Because AJ was drafted in the top 10, that option would be priced at the average of the top 10 wide receivers, aka the transition tag amount. That is just under $8.9 million this year. Franchising him for the following two years would cost in the neighborhood of $23 million at today's prices.

Also to be considered is Green's age. He will be 25 this season. He will be 27 in that option season, and two tags would carry him to 29. At which point he would be a 30 year old wide receiver in FA, not exactly the most desirable target.

If I am the Bengals I come at Green with a five year, $40 million deal next year.

So far I think things on the defensive line have played out about how conventional wisdom expected: Dunlap extended, MJ replaced by Hunt next year and Atkins in line for the 2014 tag.

As for Green, the Bengals can indeed exercise a fifth year option following this season. Because AJ was drafted in the top 10, that option would be priced at the average of the top 10 wide receivers, aka the transition tag amount. That is just under $8.9 million this year. Franchising him for the following two years would cost in the neighborhood of $23 million at today's prices.

Also to be considered is Green's age. He will be 25 this season. He will be 27 in that option season, and two tags would carry him to 29. At which point he would be a 30 year old wide receiver in FA, not exactly the most desirable target.

If I am the Bengals I come at Green with a five year, $40 million deal next year.

Interesting thought in regards to multiple tags for Green when considering the tag vs. a Megatron contract and his age.

I hope they work something out though, because I could see that option pissing him off. We don't need that drama with Green.

I also still think they get Atkins done.

He has a risk on injury, still isn't making sh*t in the grand scheme of things and making him the highest paid DT seems about right.

Hell, doing that would cost them less per season than what MJ is making this season on the tag.

Unless someone feels Atkins shouldn't be the highest paid DT in the game.

Come to think about the 20 million over the first two seasons.

If the Bengals hold off on Atkins and tag him in 2014, the last 4 seasons of Dunlap's contract are probably an easier hit on the cap.

With there being a club option for a 5th year on AJ and then a possible tag, this could get interesting in how things get done.

Just trying to reason things out.

Which seems like great deal for the Bengals if geno willing take less money to resign now then no big deal but if he hasnt resigned in two years then gain cap space make easoer give him a mega deal...

The things for people to bitch about dwindles...

/>http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2013/07/15/dunlap-agrees-to-six-year-extension/?odyssey=obinsite

First off, good move by signing Dunlap. Between him and MJ I take Dunlap because he has had some success over multiple seasons even though he has been plagued with injuries. MJ had a solid season last year but I'm just not as high on him as I am Dunlap. I think he will have this season to prove it and get his payday somewhere. Having Still and Thompson in the wings along with Hunt gives them options should MJ leave.

This evening Brad J. mentioned that he believes that the signing of Geno Atkins could follow behind this one before camp starts. Let's get that done and out of the way this week.

Lastly, somehow Peter King will give Ozzie Newsome and the "Raven way" all oft the credit for this signing in his next article.

Thing is too Dunlap put up better numbers overall theb johnson with 300a less snaps

You bring up my biggest concern, that they pull a Geathers with Dunlap and screw him up. Historically you don't get paid to be a role player in Cincy. Hopefully they don't try to cram him into an every down role based on his paycheck. If he earns it on the field, fine.

Thing is too Dunlap put up better numbers overall theb johnson with 300a less snaps

You bring up my biggest concern, that they pull a Geathers with Dunlap and screw him up. Historically you don't get paid to be a role player in Cincy. Hopefully they don't try to cram him into an every down role based on his paycheck. If he earns it on the field, fine.

Maybe not looking good from that perspective...

/>http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20130715/SPT02/307150100/Dunlap-gets-40-million-extension

“One of our key offseason goals was to continue signing and extending our key players, and the signing of Carlos is another positive step,” said head coach Marvin Lewis. “Over his three seasons with us, Carlos has continued to progress and develop. He has demonstrated the ability to be productive as a three-down player, and we are glad to have him committed to be a part of our future.”

Personally, I'm very happy with the signing. I agree that Dunlap probably has more potential based on talent than MJ. The key, it seems, is motivation and work ethic. Here's hoping that throwing a bunch of money his way won't quench his drive... :cheers:

Maybe not looking good from that perspective...

/>http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20130715/SPT02/307150100/Dunlap-gets-40-million-extension

“One of our key offseason goals was to continue signing and extending our key players, and the signing of Carlos is another positive step,” said head coach Marvin Lewis. “Over his three seasons with us, Carlos has continued to progress and develop. He has demonstrated the ability to be productive as a three-down player, and we are glad to have him committed to be a part of our future.”

Grumble grumble grumble. :angry: Not going to make a federal case out of it until I see what actually happens on the field...but that was exactly the kind of talk I didn't want to hear, even if I half-expected it.

When considering Dunlap's skill set, the thought of him being a starter isn't far fetched.

Heck there was talk about him getting the nod over Geathers last year.

While I understand the apprehension due to past results, as soon as he was extended, you knew this was coming.

The key, it seems, is motivation and work ethic. Here's hoping that throwing a bunch of money his way won't quench his drive... :cheers:

To that point, there is this quote:

/>http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20130716/SPT02/307160129/Atkins-next-on-Bengals-list

“I haven’t really started for the Bengals yet. I feel like my best football is in front of me as long as I stay healthy,” he said. “I want to be the best player at my position. This is definitely a big step in the right direction, but I’m not there yet. I’m still going to be working towards that. I’m motivated now more than ever.

Good to hear, right?

Well, earlier in the article we read this gem:

Besides crediting his family, Dunlap credited Robert Geathers and Adam Jones along with former Bengals Chad Johnson, Terrell Owens and Tank Johnson for helping him understand the business of football along with having fun with the game.

:o !!! Quite the list, there...

The key, it seems, is motivation and work ethic. Here's hoping that throwing a bunch of money his way won't quench his drive... cheers.gif

To that point, there is this quote:

http://news.cincinna...on-Bengals-list

"I haven't really started for the Bengals yet. I feel like my best football is in front of me as long as I stay healthy," he said. "I want to be the best player at my position. This is definitely a big step in the right direction, but I'm not there yet. I'm still going to be working towards that. I'm motivated now more than ever."

Good to hear, right?

Well, earlier in the article we read this gem:

Besides crediting his family, Dunlap credited Robert Geathers and Adam Jones along with former Bengals Chad Johnson, Terrell Owens and Tank Johnson for helping him understand the business of football along with having fun with the game.

ohmy.gif !!! Quite the list, there...

That's quote a who's who list of.....well never mind.