Bad idea to sign James!!

After letting it sink in and hearing a few interviews, I don’t think it was such a good idea signing James Harrison. He doesn’t seem to be appreciative of the Bengals signing him (to me that is). When asked what he thought about our QB, he replied, I have no comment! The professional and tactful answer would have been to say something positive. Then he spoke about spending 4-600k a year on his body. That’s crazy! Personally, I think he’s only in it for the money, not for the team or football. That could hurt us in the long run. I hope to God, I’m wrong!!

After letting it sink in and hearing a few interviews, I don’t think it was such a good idea signing James Harrison. He doesn’t seem to be appreciative of the Bengals signing him (to me that is). When asked what he thought about our QB, he replied, I have no comment! The professional and tactful answer would have been to say something positive. Then he spoke about spending 4-600k a year on his body. That’s crazy! Personally, I think he’s only in it for the money, not for the team or football. That could hurt us in the long run. I hope to God, I’m wrong!!

Who in their right mind would really expect Harrison to be humble, thankful, or gracious? He is a true hard-ass. a serious hard-ass. I'm liking his addition, and what he could bring to the team, more and more.

Harrison is a f*cking idiot and always has been a grade A douche.

He's always been that way, so this isn't anything new from him.

I could care less if he just wants some money (we gave him FAR less than the Steelers were offering) and all I want to see him do is use that desire to pop Rottenfurburger in the chops twice a year. In my book there is no long term for him here anyway. I would bet he only sees one of the two years he signed here.

When asked what he thought about our QB, he replied, I have no comment!

He was asked what he thought of Dalton while he was a Steeler. He said "I have no opinion. Next question."

I see that as him giving the finger to a reporter for asking a stupid f**king loaded question. Frankly, every time I've seen him speak since the signing, that has been the recurring theme. The reporters constantly nag him with absolutely ridiculous questions that must grate on him. They sure as hell grate on me as a spectator. It's as though they can't possibly believe he wanted to sign with the Cincinnati Bengals and is happy to be a member of the team. It's humiliating to see it as a fan.

The dude said in the very same interview that he is "happy to be here". I don't know what else he could say.

I don't really expect him to be a serious difference maker on the field, but I am not offended by his behavior behind the microphone.

Weird. I thought his response to the dumbass Dalton question was pitch perfect.

Loved his attitude in the presser. Love the edge he appears to be ready to bring to the locker-room. As good as this defense is, it still has never really acquired a swagger. This guy should help with that.

All for this ahead of the signing, all for it after the signing. Giddyup.

It's harrison same guy whos been been layin wood on our players for years,I do feel like the Bengals should have used more incentives in his contract just to make sure he's motivated...Instead of a Carrot they can use a little Asian "massage therapist"

PS,Just watched it I really don't see how people could have a problem with his answers.I thought they were fine (Okay Maybe Massage Whore was going abit far but it was funny =D )

I wish players would give more "no comment" answers. Sure, he could ramble on about Dalton and throw out some generic compliments, but to what end? It would just be the same canned response we've heard people give about their teammates time and time again.

Keep your mouth shut, and play football?

Yes, please.

He hasn't made the team yet. If he turns out to be a first class douche who can't play anymore we can cut his ass this summer and that'd be kinda fun

If he turns out to be a first class douche

If ??

He's always been that way. ALWAYS.

That being said, I could care less if he's a douche if he can make the linebacking corps and the team better.

I'm not sold that's a given at this point and still think Maybin could be the dark horse in this thing.

It remains to be seen.

That aside, the players all seem to be pretty happy about the signing and what Harrison is bringing to this point.

Read into that what you will, but they could have offered up "no comments" as well.

He hasn't made the team yet. If he turns out to be a first class douche who can't play anymore we can cut his ass this summer and that'd be kinda fun

Yeah, it'd be super fun to find our LB core in worse shape than we already think it is! Awesome!

Unless of course you already believe our LB corps is in worse shape than we think...which I do. That said, I'm not sure how much it will matter. With the defense in the nickel so often the position group is arguably the least important part of the D.

Yeah, it'd be super fun to find our LB core in worse shape than we already think it is! Awesome!

and all that cap (signing bonus) money down the drain

My only concern is injuries. If he stays healthy, then I have no doubt that he can help.

Zimmer's smart enough to use him wisely, and the coaching staff was clearly more than happy to see the end of the Lawson era.

Thomas Howard still hasn't signed with anyone has he? They seemed pretty confident in their ability to bring him back, which would be a big deal assuming he's healthy.

Joiner is certainly the "feel good story" and I would love nothing more than for him (or for anyone for that matter) to just take over that position.

Whether it's Harrison, Joiner, Maybin, whomever, just get in there and make it theirs. That position is as up for the taking as any.

My concern (if you want to call it that) is that Joiner was a DE in college and not an OLB.

Call it what you like, but they haven't had much luck having players make that move in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

If your Memorial Day is anything like mine -- rain -- Joe Goodberry has started his own site and is deep into some very good breakdowns of the 50 top Bengals players for 2013. So if you're looking for some good reads, here they are. His latest is a breakdown of Emmanuel Lamur. He adds this nugget at the very end, which seems appropriate to post here as it bears on the issues of how Maualuga and Harrison will be used this season (emphasis aded).

2013 Projection

After playing less than 150 snaps in 2012, expect Lamur to be a starting Nickel LB in 2013. In OTAs, this already has taken place. Rey Maualuga is being removed, Burfict is sliding inside and Lamur is entering the game. The Bengals have played their Nickel package for just over 50% of their total snaps since 2011. It it their most used personnel package on defense and it’s why I consider it the starting defense.

Lamur adds much needed athleticism and pass coverage abilities to the LB unit. I expect him to play the 2nd most snaps of the LBs in 2013 only to Vontaze Burfict. He’ll be a top 25 Bengal in 2014.

So the 4-3 alignment will have Harrison, Maualuga and Burfict, and the nicklel will have Burfict in the middle and Lamur.

• 3 months later...

A few months back we were wondering how much opportunity Harrison would get to rush the QB. I asked Joe G. this morning how he looked during his second viewing of the game. Combining two tweets:

They used him pretty much the way I expected. Run down defender with a few (5) pass rush opportunities. He's really not very good as a rusher or in coverage anymore. Great run defender though. I think they also recognize it.

One of the other guys I follow, cbrains, chimed in with similar observations.

I thought Harrison did well at run stuffing. Not making plays but affecting them. Would blow up linemen and take on dbles to string out the play to other players. Not something u get ur name called for but I saw it a lot in review

So one game in there's no evidence he'll be much of a pass rush threat, but he is contributing, which is good.

A few months back we were wondering how much opportunity Harrison would get to rush the QB. I asked Joe G. this morning how he looked during his second viewing of the game. Combining two tweets:

They used him pretty much the way I expected. Run down defender with a few (5) pass rush opportunities. He's really not very good as a rusher or in coverage anymore. Great run defender though. I think they also recognize it.

One of the other guys I follow, cbrains, chimed in with similar observations.

I thought Harrison did well at run stuffing. Not making plays but affecting them. Would blow up linemen and take on dbles to string out the play to other players. Not something u get ur name called for but I saw it a lot in review

So one game in there's no evidence he'll be much of a pass rush threat, but he is contributing, which is good.

I pretty much agree with the above analysis. I specifically recall one TFL in the flat that he took on the 2 blocks and freed up the CB (?? I think) to make the tackle. I don't know if he will be effective at any point rushing the passer, didn't see any pressures vs. Bears, but he has, and can, contribute used properly. He's a blunt object for sure.