1st Round: Tyler Eifert

ArmyBengal

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LMAO. Dallas fans freak and blatantly boo their 1st round pick. They drafted Rasputin to play center for them, I didn't even know he was in this draft. Or this century.

Well, c'mon, his ability to absorb punishment is legendary, plus he can hypnotize MLBs...

Studio guys try to wrap it up. Kiper verbally jizzes over the Bengals pick, also Jones to the Steelers. He then cracks on Jets and Bills usual stupid picks.

Not sure why there's so many semen references in this thread, but ignoring that, yes, the Jets' ownership/coaching staff are idiots, what a stupid pick, they have become pathetic.

Again, I don't hate the kid in the least.

I'm trying to understand the reason.

These are my questions and I ask in hopes of liking the pick more.

Didn't we hear about Charles allowing us to have an unstoppable two TE set last year ??

Does Charles suck that bad ??

Is Gresham going to allowed to walk come free agency ??

Are we actually going to use the TE's more to warrant having 2 first round and 1 third round selections at that position on the roster ??

I really like Eifert actually and want to love LOVE this pick.

No hate, just confused.

I agree ...

Personally, I thought that the team was pretty well loaded at TE already.

And if they did want a TE who can also play like a WR why not just bring back Chase Coffman.

Oh wait never mind ...

Chase was a TE who could catch like a WR but simply could not play like a TE so never mind.

But I am trying to love the pick ...

Walterfootball

Player Comparison: Jason Witten.

Witten is one of the best tight ends in the NFL, so this is lofty praise for Eifert.

The two share similar playing styles terms of their playing style.

Both players are reliable receivers with surprising speed to get downfield.

Witten (6-6, 261) is 10 pounds heavier right now, but it wouldn't be surprising if Eifert hits 260 after spending time in a strength and conditioning program.

The Cowboys stole Witten in the third round of the 2003 NFL Draft, and if that draft was redone, Witten would be a first-rounder.

Eifert will go a lot earlier. If Eifert pans out, he could turn into a tight end like Witten.

REALLY ?????

Like Jason Witten ?!?!

If this guy turns out to be the second coming of Witten I think that all of us will learn to love the pick.

Well time will tell.

But in any case, at the very least ...

Eifert should provide the team with another big powerful weapon to keep the chains moving down the field and to hopefully finish off drives once they do get into the red-zone.

Cant log in much or comment much or even watch the draft this year but put me on the side that really likes this pick. He was the best value of any player who can help this team right now. Cyprien and Elam were reaches at that point and reaching for need rarely goes well. I don't think we needed help at corners. Lacey and the rbs just are not that strong this year. Plus I would perfer a back with a bit more explosion than lacey. And the line backers out there offered little value in my opinion(though I do love Aurthur Jones long term.) And I believe this guy just flat ends up as a better player than any of the wide receivers out there. Best player available is how the good teams work, and it is something we did right tonight.

got off the plane from Denver and saw they took Eifert. First reaction was: huh? Geno Smith, Cordarelle Patterson, Ogletree, Elam, Rhodes, Floyd...all available. And they take a TE????

Then I got to thinking about how much I slagged on Gresham, and how he really has underachieved... so I guess it makes sense.

I like Eifert and what he brings, I just think he probably would be there at 37...

Now he's a Bengal so let's throw some love his way. Could end up a major addition.

I thought we were pretty well sorted at TE and could have used this pick on a more needy position.

Was Eifert too good to pass over at the expense of plugging the more obvious gaps???

Can't say I'm enthused by this pick, still scratching my head about it.

From Bengals.com .......

"Although Gresham has struggled at times and had a terrible game in the playoff loss, he's still viewed at Paul Brown Stadium as a legit NFL playmaker and is the starter while Eifert is a backup with veteran Alex Smithicon-article-link.gif figuring to have the edge as the No. 3 tight end. That could mean last year's backup tight end, Orson Charlesicon-article-link.gif, a fourth-rounder last April, is ticketed to some type of H-Back if the Bengals opt not to carry a full back".

"Gruden said. "But that attack with A.J. and Mohammed Sanu can be very effective. Like I said, it keeps the base personnel on the field and you can create matchups favorably if you use it properly. Hopefully, we’ll get that done offensively and get him out there on the field as soon as possible. But still, you can’t discount the fact we have (wide receivers) Andrew Hawkinsicon-article-link.gif and Sanu. And we’ll bring him along gradually and if he picks it up, we’ll use him as best we can.”

So it seems Charles may not be the TE he was originally thought he could be if they're considering a switch to H-Back.

And they way I read Grudens comments is that Eifert is either a "project" and not envisioned to make an immediate impact to the team, or he may have dificulty in learning the playbook/scheme. Either way I can't say I'm at all impressed with this selection as the Bengals 1st rounder.:angry:/>

With all the positions that need to be addressed why oh why use your first round pick on what the coach, for all intents and purposes, see's as a developmental player.

Desmond Trufant (CB), Xavier Rhodes (CB), Deandre Hopkins (WR), Cordarelle Patterson (WR), Alec Ogletree (LB), Matt Elam (FS), Eddy Lacy (RB), John Cyprien (FS) were all still available and could be argued would be better placed to serve the team this season.

I think Gruden talks a lot and loses track of what he is saying or it could be a good way to cover up his true intentions for the team. He talks a lot, he is giddy and witty, the media likes him, but he doesn`t really mean what he says. Remember how Binns was the next HOFer...

As for this pick, I think we all started talking about it when it was predicted in mock by Peter King, (i think), and we figured there were better ways to go. The 2 TE set is going to be something we have never seen in Bengalland. I think the greatest advantage, like Shula said, is that now we can actually pass out of a 2TE set. The Bengals have been just too predictable at critical moments.

This is the year that no one will be able to predict what will happen because we actually have more than one playmaker on offense. (Just think if Corey Dillon was our RB instead of BGE right now.)

There is a part of me that is waiting for Mike Brown to come out of hiding and cut Gresham and not resign Smith just so that the universe slides back into order.