Bengals looking at a OLT early

TJJackson

The article is about the Bengals asking weird questions, but the fact that they are interviewing him at all says (to me) they are looking at this spot
/>http://cincinnati.com/blogs/sports/2013/02/28/lane-johnson-calls-interview-with-bengals-weirdest-ever/

His profile
/>http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1700429/

The fact that he can play either OT spot means he can take the Flesh Zeppelin's spot should he depart in FA and still be groomed for Whit's spot down the road

My take: of course, I always want lineman, and given that we were far weaker on the offensive side of the ball than on the defensive side last year, I don't oppose such a move. I do honestly believe that Whit is fading faster than expected and ergo want to groom a replacement sooner rather than later. I am not sure I want this guy with our 1 but if he slips to the Raider pick, then yeah, I'm good.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way they get him is to make a trade WAY up in the draft.

That being said, it's been said around here for the past couple seasons that sooner or later they are going to have find Whit's replacement. I would prefer they do that the same way they did when Whit was drafted. His replacement would be capable of starting in another position and then move when the need presents.

Sorry TJ, but after his performance at the senior bowl and the combine, Lane Johnson won't be there at 21, much less the second round.

I dunno

I see the projections generally have him in the range of picks 10 to 20

I see where his athleticism is top notch

--but--

I know players slide every year

and

I know this kid is kinda on the raw side as OTs go

and

I know that his college oline was considered a weak link on the overall team - and he was of course part of that

so

we'll see

The Steelers have drafted an 0-lineman on day one something like 15 out of the last 18 seasons. They also draft a shi%load of LB's on day one.

This works. Not sure what the thought is here, but I guess they talk to everyone. I figured they didn't franchise Smith because they thought he'd be signable.

I suppose you can also move Whit to RT if you get a guy like LJ, and get him on a strength program.

I do honestly believe that Whit is fading faster than expected .

Whitworths performances hampered by the knee injury ???? If the surgery to clear out scar tissue has been succesful we may well see improvement naturally anyways

I know trading up is generally an unpopular option here, but given that we now need more quality and less quantity I would be OK with the following scenario

1) Assumption/Scenario: The 2nd ranked OT on the board, the big athletic kid out of Central Michigan, remains available when pick number 10 comes up (unlikely, but players fall every year)

2) The Bengals know that the Chargers are desperate for a OT and will take him at 11, so they trade into the 10 spot with the Titans (who need quantity more than quality) in exchange for the 21st pick, the 2b pick, their 4th rounder, and one of their 6th rounders. Yes, I know, this won't add up in the "draft pick trade value chart" but rather it comes down to the Titans feeling they can improve their team more with the 4 picks than they can with just pick 10, and (hopefully) no one has made a better offer

3) The Bengals then select Eric Fisher OT Central Michigan Draft Profile

We play this guy at ORT if FZ leaves, or otherwise at OLG next to Whit as he is groomed to take over Whit's spot. If Whit gets hurt, this guy takes over at OLT.

If there were some stud player (at any position) who slipped to the mid-teens I would be OK with them cashing in their third (and probably a sixth as a sweetener) to move up, but jumping up 11 spots is just too costly. Specifically regarding a tackle, I think the class is too deep to justify much of a trade up.

(And for the record, were they to do something like your proposal after losing Moobs in FA, I would break Army's TV set myself. Over Mike Brown's head.)

I wonder about the trade up as well, but I would see it later rather than sooner.

I simply think there is enough depth early on that you don't have to give up picks.

When considering the picks we have in the first 3 rounds, we can fill holes that we do in fact have.

RB, OLB, S, OL

If Tavon Austin were to fall, I would be happy with this in those first 4 picks:

Austin, WR, RB, KR/PR (used in a myriad of ways, including change of pace RB)

Barret Jones, OL (start at Center, backup everyone, move later if need be)

Kaseem Green, OLB

Bacarri Rambo, Safety

I would sh*t all over myself.

I know, gross, but it is what it is.

I wonder about the trade up as well, but I would see it later rather than sooner.

I simply think there is enough depth early on that you don't have to give up picks.

When considering the picks we have in the first 3 rounds, we can fill holes that we do in fact have.

RB, OLB, S, OL

If Tavon Austin were to fall, I would be happy with this in those first 4 picks:

Kaseem Green, OLB

Bacarri Rambo, Safety

I would love it if they got Rambo, I'm hoping he is still there and the bengals like him enough to pick him.

RB, OLB, S, OL

Kaseem Green, OLB

Bacarri Rambo, Safety

You should go over to Hoosier's house to do that after he breaks your TV :-)

I like everything about Rambo (in the 4th) except the drug suspensions. I emphasize the plural here. Its a waste of a roster space and training camp snaps to have a player who will be sitting at home on suspension all the time. Give me a player who doesn't have these worries, or prove to me this guy has definitely turned a new leaf

I've watched film on Tavon and he is exciting, yes, but I'd honestly rather find a bellcow 3 down running back. I just dont think the Law Firm is that guy.

(And for the record, were they to do something like your proposal after losing Moobs in FA, I would break Army's TV set myself. Over Mike Brown's head.)

If they lost the FZ, they'd have to replace him, tho, right?

Unless you're good with Collins or Otis (he makes you want to SHOUT throw your hands up and SHOUT) taking over at ORT?

I honestly think FZ is still pissed off that we did not pick up his option and has no intention of re-signing here even if we offer the most money. I have no proof, mind you, this is just on feeling.

If they lost the FZ, they'd have to replace him, tho, right?

Right, but if they let Moobs go and then used three picks to replace him, as you suggest here, that would officially suck. Very MB-ish, tho.

AB ..... your posting in Germany was far too long !!

Im a little slow this morning Scottish, wha??

All I know is, they have the money to take care of Smith and there is no reason not to.

Talk about his first two seasons all you want, but that is neither here nor there.

Since getting over those injuries, he has become one of the best RT in the league and at least in the top 5.

He has become the OT I thought he would and the reason I wanted to draft him.

Replace him now ?? Spend picks ?? Reduce continuity ??

No sir...

HE shouldn't be pissed we didn't pick up his option.

He stands to make much more now.

Its a more about the lack of confidence we showed in him when we declined the option

It was the right move given that he hadnt shown us anything yet, and a wake up call for the player, but I think he still holds a grudge over this

Replace him now ?? Spend picks ?? Reduce continuity ??

No sir...

and yet, given the brilliance of our beloved SoaG, you won't be surprised if he isn't re-signed, even if we offer the most money

right?

If we offer the most money and he doesn't re-sign...yes...I would be shocked.

Agree, if we offer a top end deal that is declined, then it's personal and he just doesn't want to be here.

It should be interesting to see but I want to see him here for the foreseeable future.

I don't want to see first round picks leave when they are due if they've earned the pay.

I think people (in general) need to let go of the hate when he was our pick years ago.

I understand it wasn't a popular move, but it proved to be the correct one.

Heck, look at the other tackles drafted that year. Not much...

Its a more about the lack of confidence we showed in him when we declined the option

It was the right move given that he hadnt shown us anything yet, and a wake up call for the player, but I think he still holds a grudge over this

It was the wrong move then and still is now, but no use re litigating what can't be changed. I highly doubt he holds any grudge. If I were him I would have been praying for them not to pick up the option. If they had Moobs would have made about $1.5 million more last season, but would be stuck making "just" $11.5 million in 2013-14. Whatever new deal he inks now, my guess is he will make at least $20 million over the next two seasons. By not picking up his option Mike Brown made him at least $7 million richer.