Bengals @ Steelers Game Thread

walzav29

[if Baltimore wins tonight], I hope the Bengals still play to win next week. The injury risk is a real one, but we'd almost certainly be going to Foxboro. Any confidence they can build by potentially sticking it to the Ravens to end the regular season would only be beneficial I think. That's an advantage worth playing for heading into a game where they might literally be double-digit underdogs.

that 4th and 22 was unforgivable. I don't know how/why that would even occur. Totally insane.

That the Bengals won this game is a testaent to the defense. 99% defense, 1% offense.

I disagree to a point Willy. Greens catch from Dalton set up the winning FG against the best defense in the league.

We had a good day, and yes the defense was awesome.

Random thoughts:

John Connor plus Boom Herron might give a feel to this offense that the Steelers haven't seen from the Bengals before.

Which, brings me to the point of in order to win this game, the Bengals HAVE to dominate by running the ball.

Which, brings me to the point of for the passing game to have a prayer, the Bengals HAVE to dominate in the running game.

I don't see this turning out well. However, with a solid game plan and a week plus to rest and practice...you never know what might happen.

Well, I was wrong....very wrong. That was one of the weirdest, least stylish, but most satisfying wins I can remember.

Lost the total yardage, TOP, and turnovers...and STILL won?

I caught the last 8 minutes at my in-laws....and about had a stroke. Great, great win!

No matter what, that was a "get over the hump" type of win. No doubt.

Nice try. That is the attitude you have to play with.

Green will be there in the end.

f**king post of the day. Way to keep the clear head, Billy.

Ya' know Hokie, I've been watching the eyes of our players. Look inside the facemasks. AJ was pissed off when he made his turnover. Andy wasn't sending out FTD flowers and candy grams after his INT. They didn't take off their goddam helmets! THAT is what I look for in a player.

It's in the eyes.

Well, I was wrong....very wrong. That was one of the weirdest, least stylish, but most satisfying wins I can remember.

Kinda like the fat chick you pick up at last call? :P/>

The last chick I picked up at last call was about 2000 at Ft. Hood in a bar called Sandy's. Long time ago. Not fat but not nice to look at. The rest of the story will remain untold.

12 years later, I'm married with a kid and watching the Bengals in the playoffs in back to back years for the first time since I was 6 years old. I'll take it!

Kinda like the fat chick you pick up at last call? :P/>/>

The last chick I picked up at last call was about 2000 at Ft. Hood in a bar called Sandy's. Long time ago. Not fat but not nice to look at. The rest of the story will remain untold.

12 years later, I'm married with a kid and watching the Bengals in the playoffs in back to back years for the first time since I was 6 years old. I'll take it!

Wait that was before they changed the don't ask don't tell policy...so it wasn't a man was it?

Again, the 4th and 22 call was kinda fun. I enjoyed the go for it mentality there.

As did I. It speaks more for confidence than insanity.

No. It was insane. Try the field goal or punt the ball. 4th and 22 is just silly. Do we need to look up the stats on the likelihood something along those lines?

They were lucky that Pitt. only got 3 points out of it.

But that's okay...it sure is nice to be arguing something this like after a win than it is after a loss. cheers.gif

Skyline, I wouldn't say it was sane.

Just that it was "kinda fun". Hell, it almost worked. Punt has marginal utility, as odds of a touchback from that close are high. Field goal from that distance doubtful. So, possibly, they ceded 10-15 yards in field position in going for it. Green makes the play, or a PI, or a defensive holding, etc., and they cash in their lottery ticket on the call. Hell, maybe even put the game away at that point, the way the defense was playing.

It was definitely unconventional, but given how conventional Marvin usually is, I didn't mind it.

Now, the 56 yarder? That was indefensible. On all levels.

FWIW the advanced nfl stats 4th down calculator says he safe bet in the 4th and 22 was to punt. However, if I read the numbers right, net/net the projected impact is less than one point either way. So basically it's a coin flip.

I wonder how that's calculated. I would imagine that nearly all 4th and 22 attempts or longer happen to be hail mary's at the end of a game/half that have very little chance of success, but also very little chance of the other team scoring afterwards.

Holy......something. That game was tense. In the process of cheering I lost my voice and threw out my back. Totally worth it.

About the game, for those saying Andy needed to step up, in the 4th quarter he was 9-13 for 128 yards. May not have been the prettiest, but he performed enough there. I will say kudos, beating pittsburgh who has given him so many problems in that fashion is a huge mountian to climb. The entire defense was absolutely sick today apart from one blown coverage. I love it, absolutely love it. Steelers are out, we are in.

Final note, is it to early to start ordering my Josh Brown jersey?