Quest for 31 in Cincinnati

Questfor31

I've been traveling around the NFL for the last seven years attending a game in every stadium in the NFL. It's a feat I call the Quest for 31. I started in 2006 and completed the Quest for 31 in 2009, but I just kept on traveling for NFL games in an effot to continue to improve my website (www.nflfootballstadiums.com). Anyway, I'm planning at trip to Paul Brown Stadium for the New York Giants at Cincinnati Bengals game this weekend (November 11). I'm pretty excited to be back in Cincinnati since the last time I was down there was back in 2006 (http://www.nflfootballstadiums.com/PaulBrown.htm). My first visit resulted in a pretty lackluster stadium review comparatively, and I'd really like to correct that this time through.

Anyway, what I attempt to do for each of my stadium visits is to create the ultimate home team experience. I go to the popular bar districts or sports bars at night, do the touristy things during the day, drink local beer, hit up the best local restaurants to eat the types of food that make each city unique ... Oh and then there's gameday traditions and tailgating. So I'm writing to find out what there is to see and do in Cincinnati. Where's the best tailgating? What touristy sites does everybody go down there to visit? I know about Skyline Chili, what other foods or local eateries do I need to hit up.

Bengals Culture: Do you guys have a fight song? Are there any gameday traditions that I need to know about? Any accessories that all fans have? I want to come out of Cincinnati with a thorough understanding of what being a Bengals fan is all about, so I can write about it for my site. Can you guys help me out?

One of the newest fads some of us Bengals fans have started doing is, the moment the game gets ready to come on TV, we immediately turn the TV off and go cut the grass. In doing this, we no longer have to watch this sad excuse of a team and can tune in later to find out what we already knew was going to happen. Maybe you will also be able to witness someone burning Marvin Lewis in effigy.

Outside of that, try some Skyline chili.

One of the newest fads some of us Bengals fans have started doing is, the moment the game gets ready to come on TV, we immediately turn the TV off and go cut the grass. In doing this, we no longer have to watch this sad excuse of a team and can tune in later to find out what we already knew was going to happen. Maybe you will also be able to witness someone burning Marvin Lewis in effigy.

Outside of that, try some Skyline chili.

Lol lol this is too funny, but so true! I don't care anymore till Mike Brown gets a clue, and fires Marvin and this lame coaching staff!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_Bengals#Chant

Skyline Chili (as my username indicates). Newport on the Levee is right across the river from the stadium. I suppose a visit to Cincy may not be complete without a stop by Montgomery Inn to try the ribs. Graeter's ice cream. Nationally recognized zoo. A couple of great museums, etc. I haven't lived there in ages, though, so someone else is going to have to help you with the lesser known local haunts.

Army, stop posting. I don't possess the amount of anti-depressants necessary to keep me from jumping off a bridge every time I see one of your posts around here :lmao:

I don't know what the hell my problem is.

Seriously, I can't remember a season in recent history where I have been so completely irritated with almost everything associated with this team. Owner, coaches, players, hell if given the chance I might go on a tirade about the scoreboard operator.

The game sold out last week, was on local TV, and I went to Home Depot to look at paint. They got all kinds of paint in there: eggshell, flat, semi-gloss. I went with the eggshell due to having kids that can't keep their hands off the freakin' walls. Then there was the choice of brushes, tape, and pole extensions. Yeah, I missed the whole game.

Don't worry, the draft will be here before we know and my attitude will shift.

Skyline Chili (as my username indicates). Newport on the Levee is right across the river from the stadium. I suppose a visit to Cincy may not be complete without a stop by Montgomery Inn to try the ribs. Graeter's ice cream. Nationally recognized zoo. A couple of great museums, etc. I haven't lived there in ages, though, so someone else is going to have to help you with the lesser known local haunts.

I highly recommend the Hofbrauhaus in Newport. 200 East 3rd Street in Newport. I think Army will back me up on this one.

I highly recommend the Hofbrauhaus in Newport. 200 East 3rd Street in Newport. I think Army will back me up on this one.

You know it Billy !!! :cheers:

Nice selection of good beers and German food.

This is exactly what I'm looking for. Restaurants and bars to hit up, different types of food to try that traditionally Cincinnati. Is there any particular beer that's from the area?

What about tailgating? Where's the best tailgating? I understand there's a fight song? Do you guys sing the fight song after a score? No cheese heads or towels or the equivalent in Cincy?

Appreciate the feedback ... thanks very much.

First off, let me admit I've never lived in Cincinnati. My first game at PBS was a few years ago and, prior to that, I had no idea there was a fight song. After a TD, I heard this bizarre, uuumpa type song with the sing-along lyrics posted on the scoreboard. It was very polka-inspired in tune, but had kind of a fun retro feel to it. The lyrics are:

Hear that Bengal growlin',

Mean and ang-a-ree,

Here he comes a prowlin',

Lean and hung-a-ree,

An offensive brute,

Run, pass, or boot,

And defensively he's rough! Tough!

Cincinnati Bengals,

That's the team we're gonna cheer to vic-to-ry!

Touchdown Bengals!

Get some points up on that board

and win a game for Cincinnati!

Hope you have a fun time in Cincy and get to hear the above early and often (although I'm not betting any of my $$ on it). BTW - love the idea of the stadium tour. My friends and I started a similar quest, but we only get to go every other year or so. We've been to PBS (duh), Fed Ex Field, Raymond James Stadium, the Superdome, Oakland Coliseum and Qualcomm.

As you know from traveling to NFL cities, the local favorites do not always mean "great" or even "good". That said, I do recommend Cincy style chili. I prefer Skyline, though Dixie Chili and Gold Star does work for the untrained palate. For a real Cincy chili experience, a visit to Camp Washinton Chili is a good experience: http://www.campwashingtonchili.com/

For dessert, and as mentioned Graeters, is tough to beat. They are peppered through the area. In a pinch, a UNited Dairy Farmers (UDF) Vanilla Malt can satisfy.

Beer becomes a true pandora's box in Cincy. At one time, late 1800's, Cincinnati had more breweries operating in town than all of the rest of the USA. Huge brewing tradition in this town due to the German heritage. Local (traditional) beers still clinging to life are Christian Morlein. You can find it at the Party Source, and also randomly at bars around town. As a tailgate beer, I recommend Shoenling's Little Kings Cream Ale. Funny little bottles, clean smooth ale that is great to drink with burgers and dogs. Hofbrauhaus is a must-stop. Commit a whole evening to enjoying the monster selection, eating some great food and the atmostphere can be excellent. During football season, a Saturday night there with good games on is a treat.

As mentioned, Montgomery Inn for bbq/ribs is a good call. The boathouse (on Ohio side along river), is a cool stop for an evening of gluttony. http://www.montgomeryinn.com/boathouse-montgomery-inn.php

That, along with a Bengals game, should pack a weekend of local, legal debauchery.

Hope you have a fun time in Cincy and get to hear the above early and often (although I'm not betting any of my $$ on it). BTW - love the idea of the stadium tour. My friends and I started a similar quest, but we only get to go every other year or so. We've been to PBS (duh), Fed Ex Field, Raymond James Stadium, the Superdome, Oakland Coliseum and Qualcomm.

Very cool... lots of folks have found my website to be a great tool for planning stadium trips. Hope it works for you, keep me in the loop on your journey, if you have any additions to make to the content on my site, feel free to send an e-mail any time.

So, I've been digging up some preliminary city of Cincy stuff, but I still have all types of questions ...

I understand you guys host the 2nd largest Octoberfest in the country and the world's largest chicken dance ... any other German influences I might wanna know about? Great german restaurants or beer gardens, perhaps?

Local foods - So I'm pulling up references to a "mystery meat" that you guys call "goetta". I gotta get some of that. I looked it up online and it looks ... interesting .. like spam. Where's the best place to get some goetta? I'm aware of skyline chili and goldstar chili, are there any other local foods that outsiders would not know about? What exactly is goetta? Oh and mettwurst, where's a good place to get some of that?

Local Beer - Looks like I need to try anything brewed by the Christian Moerlein Brewing Company including some of this Hudepohl. Somebody suggested Shoenling's Little Kings Cream Ale ... gotta get some of that. Anything else I should look for?

Bar districts - Where are the best bar districts to go to on gameday weekends? Are there any in the city that I'm going to want to check out? Are there any special Bengals sports bars that I should be sure to stop in at? is the city safe at night?

Restaurants - I'm always intrigued by local restaurants. I'm seing that Montgomery Inn ribs at the Boathouse are a must and you guys have also have a Hofbrauhaus in the city (gotta get there too). What other restaurants offer an excellent pre and post game meal?

Bengals Culture - Anything I need to know about being a Bengals fans for the day? Any accessories I need to have? I know about the "Bengal Growl" fight song (i'll be practicing) and "WhoDey!". What am I missing?

Last Item ... Tourist attractions

What kinds of things to tourists in the city want to go to. I'm familiar with the Cincinnati Zoo, National Underground RR freedom museum, Newport aquarium, Reds HOF, am I missing anything?

thanks guys. Really appreciate your assistance on this.

Little Kings is undrinkable and I say that as one who drank a tanker full as a teen. The little pony bottles are fun tho.

I hammered that stuff down like there was no tommorow. That and Robin Hood cream ale. Then I had to go to a lot of meetings for like 15 years.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQUyEEnucLI

I know about the "Bengal Growl" fight song (i'll be practicing) and "WhoDey!". What am I missing?

If you have 5 minutes, you can watch this video. It shows PBS in the 4th quarter the last time we beat Pittsburgh at our place. The crowd sings the song about 3 minutes into the video, followed by a round of who dey chants. You may not experience the same atmosphere Sunday, but I hope you do.

For all things "Moerlein", I recommend you head to the newly opened Moerlein Lager House (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/32/1635929/restaurant/Downtown/Moerlein-Lager-House-Cincinnati) that is within walking distance of the stadium. This is a fairly expensive place to eat at, however.

There are two "drinking districts" I know of, both with a short cab ride to and from the stadium - Mainstrasse in Covington and The Gateway Quarter in Over The Rhine. I am not much of a drinker myself so I can't tell you much more, other than that there has been a huge surge in popularity in "craft" beers in Cincinnati and both these areas are sure to have a number of these available, both by the bottle and on tap.

There is a restaurant where you can get excellent Cincinnati style chili AND goetta in the same sitting, and virtually 24 hours a day, and within sight of I-75 so you can't get lost - Camp Washington Chili. Make sure to try Cincinnati-style chili in all three primary configurations - on spaghetti (called a "Way"), on a hot dog (called a "Coney"), and by itself in a bowl. Typically the first two get topped with a heavy layer of shredded cheese. Watch orders go to tables before you order, and you will see what I mean. Highly recommended

I do not recommend Montgomery Inn because although they call what they serve barbeque, it isn't - they boil then grill their meat, and then it is drowned in sauce. Sauce on the side is not really an option like it would be for actual real 'que. Also a very pricey joint to boot.

If on the other hand you want real 'que, hit up Jus Q'in in Newtown (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/32/1542974/restaurant/Newtown/Just-Qin-Barbeque-Cincinnati), but be aware seating is very limited

Some of the best burgers in town are at a place called Terry's Turf Club. Very popular, expect a wait. Ask for the fries well done. and one order of fries is plenty for two people. If you are from an area that does not have a White Castle and/or a Five Guys and/or a Sonic and/or Rally's and/or a Jack in the Box, we have all five here for a cheap fast food burger.

Despite our German heritage and the Oktoberfest thing and all, I don't think any of the remaining German restaurants in town are very good, so I can't recommend one. Hofbrau Haus has been mentioned in this thread but it is really a beer place that also serves (mediocre) German food rather than the other way around. There is a new place in Florence (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/32/1710705/restaurant/Cincinnati/Steinhaus-German-Restuarant-Florence) that I have hopes for but the reviews so far have not been promising. The only one I really like - Iron Skillet in Newtown - is only partly German, with plenty of other eastern european dishes in the mix

If you want pizza, stay away from the local megachain LaRosas - the crust is terrible - and instead go with a independent place. For NY/thin style, I recommend Goodfellas in Covington or Brooklyn Pizza and Pasta in Montgomery. For neopolitan/Naples style, I recommend A Tavola in Over-The-Rhine, but be aware it's loud, crowded, and yuppie-ish. For deep dish/stuffed pizza, I recommend Bourbon House in Florence. There are two locations of Bourbon House and the one on Oakbrook drive is far superior to the other.

For a good gyro, head to Sebastian's in Westwood

For a superb but expensive prime dry-aged steak and all the usual high-end trimmings and libations, you want Ruby's on Walnut downtown or the Precinct in east End.

We have two really good ice cream places in town - the nationally known Graeters and the less well known (but better, in my opinion) Aglamesis Brothers.

One other recommendation - if you like (or would like to try) Vietnamese food, head to Pho Lang Thang at the Findlay Market. "Pho" is broth soup, usually beef broth, and "Banh Mi' is their french-influenced baguette-based sandwich. That aside, the market itself is a pretty cool place to visit.

For any of these, call before you go to make sure they will be open at the time you plan visiting.

Little Kings is undrinkable and I say that as one who drank a tanker full as a teen. The little pony bottles are fun tho.

I hammered that stuff down like there was no tommorow. That and Robin Hood cream ale. Then I had to go to a lot of meetings for like 15 years.

OMFG Robin Crud Ale! I thought I was the only one who remembered that swill. Bleeech :puke:

Hello All,

I finally posted my review about my incredible Cincinnati Bengals Fan Experience at Paul Brown Stadium - http://www.nflfootballstadiums.com/PaulBrown.htm. Just wanted to say a huge "thank you" for all of those that contributed to helping me uncover what there is to see and do and eat and drink when I was out your way. I think I did a pretty effective job of capturing what being a Bengals fan is all about. I even sang your fight song, "Bengals Growl" (I thought it was a pretty cool fight song) ... you can see it in the video at the bottom of the page.

Thanks Again,

Hans Steiniger