Our Roster!!

Not a fun thought but we have to consider Hall maybe being cut if his Achilles is wasted

I don't know, but you hear good things about his surgery and recovery. Not mention they just gave him a good extention can't see them throwing it away. Who knows!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is eveybody so down on Scott. When he got into the game he produced for us. Got more yardage then Benson and didn't fumble!! The bottom line, we have some great players for some awesome competitions this upcoming season!!

He didn't produce more than Benson. Look it up. 3.4 yards/carry compared to Benson's 3.9 yards/carry. And Scott sucks as a receiver.

Newman was playing in a defense that no longer suited him and played hurt most of the season, this is the danger of looking at one year grades. I think Ghee is gone but I will bet Newman makes a big comeback this year.

I feel like Newman will stay as well because Zim loves that guy. Even if that means somebody moves to safety or Jones is gone, I don't think Newman goes anywhere.

You guys are acting like Newman was targeted by the Bengals in FA. But he was cut by the Cowboys, and there wasn't a single team that showed interest in him.

He didn't sign with the Bengals until April 11th... almost a full month after Pacman and Jason Allen were both signed. Newman was an afterthought.

He's insurance in the event that Leon Hall isn't heathy (and perhaps in case the Bengals were unable to land a good CB in the draft). If Hall started the season hurt, and the Bengals didn't manage to get Kirkpatrick, Newman was still only the 4th string CB at best. Now... he's completely unnecessary. He will only make this team if Hall is PUP'd.

this is one of the more difficult rosters to predict... a lot of ifs and whens...

ifs/when - hall, shipley, muckelroy, brandon johnson UFA, bobbie williams UFA

then you've also got the chronically injured - dontay moch, rod muckelroy, otis hudson, adam jones, brian leonard to some extent

i see us going two QBs that will allow more flexibility

-----

TE cochart makes it, maybe they keep 4... or lee is cut (they almost consider Roland as a 4th TE)

WR Green, Jones, Shipley, Sanu, Hawkins... the battle is between Tate, Whalen, Binn, and Hazelton. Tate has the upper hand because of sp. teams... still i can't determine who is going to make it. My gut says Binn is the 6th guy.

OL Obvious guys stay (Bell is obvious in my mind)... I think Hudson beats out O'donnel... what I'm not sure is if they keep 10 or say goodbye to Bell or Roland. If it comes down to it, Hudson and O'donnel both get cut to keep Roland and Bell. Hudson has battled injuries too long. (Roland is Alexander's secret lover)

RB BGE, Scott, Leonard, Pressley ( Herron to PS ) no way they cut pressley in Gruden's offense

I don't think you replace Scott with Herron

-----

DL I can't really figure it out. If you keep 5 DTs (includes this years draft picks and sims) then maybe you keep only 3 ends. Can any of those DTs play end? My best guess is the following guys get cut or traded: Geathers, Anderson, Harvey. Evans and Hayden are gone, either cut or to the PS.

I got the top 8 as the two rookies, Peko, Atkins, MJ, Dunlap, Sims, Geathers

I keep trying to figure out a way that Geathers gets cut. I just see him as making too much money for his age. But i believe he is a great locker room presence and a good run stuffer. Trying to put myself in shoes of the Front Office. Evans or one of the former 1st round pick rehabs could come replace him

DB Another toughy... My top 10 are CB Hall, Clements, Kirkpatrick, Adam Jones, Jason Allen, Prater

at S Reggie Nelson, Taylor Mays, George Iioka, Robert Sands,

I can see Prater going to the PS and Miles making it for teams. I can also envision Allen getting beat out by prater. I think it is goodbye to Ghee. I think Newman only makes the team as a saftey and that means Iioka disappoints and ends up cut or on the PS. Miles is a wildcard to make it as backup saftey/cb, teams

Jones makes it on shear talent not only for CB but as a Punt returner/ (maybe kick returner)

All of this is assuming Leon plays from the start of the season. If not, look for Hall or Newman to take his spot temporarily.

LB Well... Burfict makes it. Rey M., Howard, Lawson, Burfict, Muck, Moch, Skuta... the problem is here is too many MLBs. And what if Brandon Johnson comes back into the fold? If he does, maybe Skuta is gone.

Special Teams Huber, Nugent, Clark Harris

-------

Disagree on the front of Jamaal Anderson or Jason Allen being cut. Guys both signed deals for 3mil this year, and Mikey is not going to eat those deals IMO.

There's nothing to eat. Anderson's deal includes a mere $200k in bonus money for 2012 (probably workout bonuses) and then $1.6 million in salary for the year. In 2013 he's got $1.2 million in bonus money coming, including a roster bonus of $1 million, and then $2.5 million in salary. Bottom line is cutting Jamaal this year costs at most $200k.

Details on Allen's contract are sketchier. Spotrac suggests its pure salary, but I doubt that. However, i also doubt if cutting him (which I don't expect) would cost much more than Anderson.

Reedy/PFT saying Clements could be possibility of getting cut because of his 4.5 Price Tag...Would hate to see it happen >.<

I could see it. Clements is scheduled for a total 2012 cap hit of $7.3 million, about $3 million of which is in bonuses.

I could also see Geathers getting the axe. He's due $4.2 million, all salary. So cutting them both frees up $8 million plus in cap space.

Right now the Bengals are about $19 million under the cap. Even Hobsonizing the numbers for rooks and the injury pool leaves them enough to do an extension, maybe two. And they will inevitably gain some cap space as they cut the roster down in August. But because they prefer pay-as-you-go financing, I wouldn't be surprised to see them cut these two as sacrifices to the Cruel God of 2014. If they do, I just hope they do something constructive with the funds.

Reedy/PFT saying Clements could be possibility of getting cut because of his 4.5 Price Tag...Would hate to see it happen >.<

I could see it. Clements is scheduled for a total 2012 cap hit of $7.3 million, about $3 million of which is in bonuses.

I could also see Geathers getting the axe. He's due $4.2 million, all salary. So cutting them both frees up $8 million plus in cap space.

Right now the Bengals are about $19 million under the cap. Even Hobsonizing the numbers for rooks and the injury pool leaves them enough to do an extension, maybe two. And they will inevitably gain some cap space as they cut the roster down in August. But because they prefer pay-as-you-go financing, I wouldn't be surprised to see them cut these two as sacrifices to the Cruel God of 2014. If they do, I just hope they do something constructive with the funds.

Hobsonizing? You're inventing new but constuctive words here. :lol:

Could both of those guys getting the axe happen ??

Sure, but I don't expect either to be going anywhere THIS year.

I expect both gone in 2013 however.

Allow me to elaborate a little on my previous thought.

The reason I see Geathers sticking for another season is that him and Dunlap are the two LDE's on the roster and while there can be some movement, all three of the other DE's (MJ, Harvey, and Anderson) are considered RDE's. The coaches have also always thought highly of Geathers and obvisouly felt comfortable enough they didn't target DE early when they could have grabbed Upshaw at the bottom of the first.

Clements, while older, was solid last season. Yes they got some more guys to come in, but if Hall gets PUP'd as I expect do you really get rid of Clements ?? You would be counting on Kirkpatrick and a choice of Pac Man, Allen, or Newman. I suppose you could make that arguement, but if that's the route they go, I would rather they wait until campsare winding down.

Bengals going to try out a new QB. Tony Pike played at the University of Cincinnati and is from Reading (Reading HS). I liked what he did for the bearCats!! Now I wouldn't want him over Dalton but it could be interesting if we did keep three QB's!!

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy but I don't see him making the roster. Cool he gets a shot though.

From Joe Reedy

/>http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2012/04/30/rosterology-post-draft-edition/

The first depth chart will not be released for another four months but here is the way early look at how things are shaping up after last week’s activity in free agency.

The Bengals roster officially has 72 players post-draft, meaning there are 18 more spots to fill (most have been unofficially with college free agent signings not confirmed by the team). That means we are not putting Vontaze Burfict into rosterology until it is announced.

A couple other notes to keep in mind:

* Offensive line traditionally goes with 4 guards, 4 tackles and a center. Currently the roster shows 5 guards, 5 tackles and a center. Kevin Zeitler and Clint Boling can both back up at center.

* Defensive line usually goes 4 ends and 4 tackles. The current roster has 5 ends and 6 tackles.

* Secondary last year had 4 corners and 6 safeties due in large part to special teams. However it might go with the 5 corners/5 safeties mix this season. Currently the roster has 8 corners and 5 safeties.

* DeQuin Evans, who was on the practice squad last season, has gone from LB to DE.

OFFENSE (25 usually kept/35 currently on roster)

QB (2/3): 14 Andy Dalton, 7 Bruce Gradkowski, 5 Zac Robinson

RB (5/8): 42 BenJarvus Green-Ellis, 28 Bernard Scott, 40 Brian Leonard, 30 Cedric Peerman, 36 Chris Pressley, 35 James Develin, 33 Aaron Brown, 34 Dan “Boom” Herron

TE (3/4): 84 Jermaine Gresham, 81 Colin Cochart, 86 Donald Lee, 87 Orson Charles

WR (6/9): 18 A.J. Green, 11 Jordan Shipley, 19 Brandon Tate, 16 Andrew Hawkins, 17 Vidal Hazelton, 85 Armon Binns, 88 Ryan Whalen, 12 Mohamaed Sanu, 82 Marvin Jones

OL (9/11): 77 Andrew Whitworth, 70 Travelle Wharton, 64 Kyle Cook, 68 Kevin Zeitler, 71 Andre Smith, 73 Anthony Collins, 74 Dennis Roland, 62 Jacob Bell, 65 Clint Boling, 60 Otis Hudson, 76 Matthew O’Donnell

DEFENSE (25/33)

DL (8/12): 91 Robert Geathers, 94 Domata Peko, 97 Geno Atkins, 93 Michael Johnson, 96 Carlos Dunlap, 90 Pat Sims, 95 Derrick Harvey 98 Nick Hayden, 92 Jamaal Anderson, 69 DeQuin Evans, 75 Devon Still, 79 Brandon Thompson

LB (7/8): 99 Manny Lawson, 58 Rey Maualuga, 53 Thomas Howard, 51 Dan Skuta, 52 Dontay Moch, 50 Micah Johnson, 56 Roddrick Muckelroy, 57 Vincent Rey

DB (10/13): 22 Nate Clements, 29 Leon Hall, 26 Taylor Mays, 20 Reggie Nelson, 25 Jason Allen, 24 Adam Jones, 23 Terence Newman, 21 Brandon Ghee, 45 Jeromy Miles, 31 Robert Sands, 27 Dre Kirkpatrick, 38 Shaun Prater, 43 George Iloka

SPECIAL TEAMS (3/4) – P/H: 10 Kevin Huber; K: 2 Mike Nugent, 3 Thomas Webber; LS: 46 Clark Harris

NOT FACTORED IN

ABOUT THOSE UNDRAFTED GUYS: The unofficial list, which doesn’t become official until the team announces the signings — Bowling Green OL Ben Bojicic, Western Kentucky CB Derrius Brooks, Arizona State LB Vontaze Burfict, UCLA S Tony Dye, New Mexico DB Bubba Forrest, Colorado QB Tyler Hansen, Indiana State WR Justin Hilton, Butler DL Grant Hunter, Arkansas State DE Brandon Joiner, Kansas State S Emmanuel Lamur, West Virginia DE Justin Miller, Connecticut WR Kashif Moore, Notre Dame OG Trevor Robinson, New Mexico State WR Taveon Rogers, Connecticut OL Mike Ryan, Colorado RB Rodney Stewart, Clemson OT Landon Walker.

BENGALS UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS STILL UNSIGNED: RB Cedric Benson, CB Kelly Jennings, LB Brandon Johnson, TE Bo Scaife, OG Bobbie Williams, S Gibril Wilson.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them cut these two as sacrifices to the Cruel God of 2014. If they do, I just hope they do something constructive with the funds.

More constructive than stuffing it under the mattress? This is one of those moves that is just about money. They're thin at CB, especially pending a real-world evaluation of Hall, so if they cut Clements, it had *better* be because they have more constructive plans for that money. Otherwise, even if he's a bit overpaid, who cares?

But as you said with pay-as-you-go financing - they don't seem to have a larger plan beyond a near-term, cost-accounting view of the world. Except when something like 2014 can be used as a bogeyman to justify all sorts of nonsense.

It would be a shame if a budding core of young players is wasted because the Brown family can't see the strategic for the tactical.

More constructive than stuffing it under the mattress? This is one of those moves that is just about money.

It would be a shame if a budding core of young players is wasted because the Brown family can't see the strategic for the tactical.

Meh ... can't see it being about money at all. Mike Brown has never been adverse to paying $$ .... Kitna's multi million dollar bonus when he just failed to reach the target springs to mind....he could've said no, but Mr.Brown said yes.

Plus the contracts given to one-season journeymen over the years ....Scott Mitchell, Michael Westbrook, TO

Nope, I don't believe the almighty dollar has anything to do with this.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them cut these two as sacrifices to the Cruel God of 2014. If they do, I just hope they do something constructive with the funds.

More constructive than stuffing it under the mattress? This is one of those moves that is just about money. They're thin at CB, especially pending a real-world evaluation of Hall, so if they cut Clements, it had *better* be because they have more constructive plans for that money. Otherwise, even if he's a bit overpaid, who cares?

But as you said with pay-as-you-go financing - they don't seem to have a larger plan beyond a near-term, cost-accounting view of the world. Except when something like 2014 can be used as a bogeyman to justify all sorts of nonsense.

Jesus you are f**kin' downer nowadays.

Its true, the Bengals f**kin' suck.

If I had to pick a practice squad player to look forward to seeing through camps and the preseason it would be:

DeQuin Evans- We didn't address DE in the draft and brought in some guys that may or may not amount to much in Harvey and Anderson. If the thought is to attempt to replace some of what was lost in Rucker and Fanene, I think Evans is equally capable of doing that as the guys brought in. He's been in the system for more than a day and the coaches have always liked him.

If I had to pick a practice squad player to look forward to seeing through camps and the preseason it would be:

DeQuin Evans- We didn't address DE in the draft and brought in some guys that may or may not amount to much in Harvey and Anderson. If the thought is to attempt to replace some of what was lost in Rucker and Fanene, I think Evans is equally capable of doing that as the guys brought in. He's been in the system for more than a day and the coaches have always liked him.

I like Evens and hope he makes it. I could see him as a rotational pass rusher.

I don't believe the almighty dollar has anything to do with this.

Well, if either Geathers and Clements get cut, it is definitely about money... but you're right in that it isn't so Brown can pocket it. It's so he can use it elsewhere (the idea that Geathers is making nearly 10 times the amount that Geno Atkins and Carlos Dunlap is making is a joke).

If he wanted to pocket the extra cash, he would have done it at the end of 2011. Instead he carried $15 million of cap space into 2012. The Bengals would already be over the cap if Brown hadn't done that, and cutting Geathers/Clements would be a necessity.

Instead, it'll will only be necessary if there are serious attempts made to extend the likes of MJ, Howard, Smith, Dunlap, and Atkins. And I'd be ok with that.

Per Reedy:

On yesterday's Clements mailbag item. No, I don't think he will get released. When you assess various options in the secondary and consider what might or might not happen, especially in a secondary that has a ton of veteran corners at the moment, that was just one scenario out of many, albeit remote. We have covered a lot of secondary scenarios the past month, that was just one more.

In other words... "This isn't a report. It's speculation... just like the fans do. I've got a lot of columns to write, and that's difficult to do during the offseason if I'm not allowed to make stuff up every once in a while."

Yes, it would be. But we're not there yet and I'm willing to give the FO time to work out new deals.

The clock is ticking, though...

I don't believe the almighty dollar has anything to do with this.

Well, if either Geathers and Clements get cut, it is definitely about money... but you're right in that it isn't so Brown can pocket it. It's so he can use it elsewhere (the idea that Geathers is making nearly 10 times the amount that Geno Atkins and Carlos Dunlap is making is a joke).

If he wanted to pocket the extra cash, he would have done it at the end of 2011. Instead he carried $15 million of cap space into 2012. The Bengals would already be over the cap if Brown hadn't done that, and cutting Geathers/Clements would be a necessity.

Instead, it'll will only be necessary if there are serious attempts made to extend the likes of MJ, Howard, Smith, Dunlap, and Atkins. And I'd be ok with that.

First off, Rivers cap # was $2.4M. Crocker's was $2.2M. Andre Smith's is $4.5M

For reference Hall's cap # is $8.4M

Geathers has been less and less effective.... I think he is at the top of the list of probable cuts. Clements is needed. However, if Hall does not get back he might be the surprise cut, as crappy as that might seem. Another cut could be Fat Andre, should Collins be able to handle the right side next to Zeitler. Andre is due some big coin and there is not much drop off from him to Collins. Roland then backs up Collins and Whit.

It seems silly that the cap discussion cuts so deep.