Our Roster!!

The Moore story is a good one for sure, but I think it's going to be a challenge for him to make one of the final 6 spots.

I would compare it to Dez Briscoe coming in here when there really wasn't a spot for him.

With the spots being wide open after Green, it should be one hell of a battle !!!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Moore story is a good one for sure, but I think it's going to be a challenge for him to make one of the final 6 spots.

I would compare it to Dez Briscoe coming in here when there really wasn't a spot for him.

With the spots being wide open after Green, it should be one hell of a battle !!!

Maybe they keep 7 WR?

Green - lock

Sanu - lock

Jones - lock

Shipley - probable lock

Whalen - maybe

Hawkins - maybe, depends on how many slot/ST guys they want to keep.

maybe one more spot for Tate, Binns, Moore or Hazelton, Rogers, Hilton?

Questions I have about the group:

Hakwins - made quie a few nice plays, always seemed to get YAC and plays bigger than his size. I really like Hawk, and he fits the scheme to a T.

Shipley - is he back and can he be durable? Seems like Hawkins more than filled in for Shipley. Seems it is Hawkins job to lose, to me.

Whalen - Good hands and physical player but is he redundant? Could he run back kicks and play teams?

Tate - one trick pony: retrun kick-offs. With the amount of kicks being brought out, is he wort a roster spot?

Binns - has the size and speed, and I like his play at UC but he is an unknown in this offense.

Moore- Maybe the fastest guy on the team, so finding a way to use the speed would be nice. KR/PR might be where he wins a job.

Hazelton - another size/speed prototype but what can he do to learn the offense and get a spot? will e tough.

Rogers - seems like a PS player.

Hilton - Ditto.

If they go with 7 WR's, where do they go light? Having some versatile O-lineman would be key.

I don't get why cutting Andre wouldn't save $9mill fom the cap? If he gets that much this yr and there's no further yrs to spread it into, why wouldn't it be a $9mill savings cap-wise?

Because $5 million of Smith's cap hit is bonus proration. They take that hit whether he's on the roster or not.

I took it mean a roster bonus. If it's already been paid out then I see your point

Jacob Bell retired today.

Kind of strange. I wonder if he was hoping he would be the starter, and the Zeitler draft pick made him want to quit. Weird.

Hopefully Boling and Otis will be ready to step up if there is an injury.

Do you agree with me now that OG was a huge priority? We absolutely had to get either Zeitler or Decastro in the 1st rd last month.

I'm becoming less and less convinced that OG is high on the Bengals radar.

Don't get me wrong... I'm hoping the Bengals OG early. But Wharton and Bell have a lot of starting experience, and the Bengals can bring back Bobbie Williams if the draft doesn't fall the right way.

Honestly, I think a guy is going to have to fall much further than expected for the Bengals to draft an OG in the first 2 rounds.

Maybe they keep 7 WR?

Green - lock

Sanu - lock

Jones - lock

Shipley - probable lock

Whalen - maybe

Hawkins - maybe, depends on how many slot/ST guys they want to keep.

maybe one more spot for Tate, Binns, Moore or Hazelton, Rogers, Hilton?

Questions I have about the group:

Hakwins - made quie a few nice plays, always seemed to get YAC and plays bigger than his size. I really like Hawk, and he fits the scheme to a T.

Shipley - is he back and can he be durable? Seems like Hawkins more than filled in for Shipley. Seems it is Hawkins job to lose, to me.

Whalen - Good hands and physical player but is he redundant? Could he run back kicks and play teams?

Tate - one trick pony: retrun kick-offs. With the amount of kicks being brought out, is he wort a roster spot?

Binns - has the size and speed, and I like his play at UC but he is an unknown in this offense.

Moore- Maybe the fastest guy on the team, so finding a way to use the speed would be nice. KR/PR might be where he wins a job.

Hazelton - another size/speed prototype but what can he do to learn the offense and get a spot? will e tough.

Rogers - seems like a PS player.

Hilton - Ditto.

If they go with 7 WR's, where do they go light? Having some versatile O-lineman would be key.

IMO they'll keep 6 and only Sanu/Green are locks. If Shipley shows his old form then he's a lock too but he doesn't have a step to lose.

Moore's strictly PS material.

Shipley - probable lock

Probable? I say he's more of a lock then Sanu or Jones,The only way he isn't on our roster week 1 is because of injury.

Hawkins looked decent but he really didn't bring what ship did a year before...Shipley with a T.O/Chad in front of him produced great numbers for a rookie WR 52 rec 600 Yards & 3 tds vs Hawkins who had 23 for 263...I like Hawkins but I don't see him getting anymore then a 2-10 snaps a game that will be plays that are designed around his speed...5'7 is just too short for WR in the NFL

Shipley - probable lock

Probable? I say he's more of a lock then Sanu or Jones,The only way he isn't on our roster week 1 is because of injury.

Hawkins looked decent but he really didn't bring what ship did a year before...Shipley with a T.O/Chad in front of him produced great numbers for a rookie WR 52 rec 600 Yards & 3 tds vs Hawkins who had 23 for 263...I like Hawkins but I don't see him getting anymore then a 2-10 snaps a game that will be plays that are designed around his speed...5'7 is just too short for WR in the NFL

I don't think that Shipley is more of a lock than the 2 guys who will be competing for the #2 WR spot. However, he's still a lock.

Do you agree with me now that OG was a huge priority? We absolutely had to get either Zeitler or Decastro in the 1st rd last month.

Yes. I agree with you now... Captain Hindsight.

:lol:

Love it! There'll be times when I need a visit from Capt Hindsight too...hopefully after I underestimate our Bengals in some way

Shipley - probable lock

I think they are locks too but rookies get cut it happens shipley has produced already he showed he can make it in the nfl.Point was just see like 0.01 chance of ship getting cut it unless its injury related but by all reports hes doing fine

I don't think that Shipley is more of a lock than the 2 guys who will be competing for the #2 WR spot. However, he's still a lock.

• 2 weeks later...

Per Joe Reedy....

As for the roster, it is back up to 87, including 13 offensive linemen, after the Bengals claimed guard Matt Murphy on waivers from Indianapolis and signed center Reggie Stephens.

Murphy (6-4, 307; UNLV) is classified as a first-year NFL player. He was signed on Sept. 28 of last year to the Colts practice squad, where he remained until season’s end. He entered the NFL as a college free agent with Atlanta on July 27 of last year and was waived by the Falcons at the end of 2011 preseason.

Stephens (6-3, 325; Iowa State) was drafted by the Bengals in the seventh round of the 2010 draft and was here until the final roster cuts last preseason. He was signed on Oct. 26 to Chicago’s practice squad, where he remained until season’s end. He was signed to the Bears’ offseason roster but was waived on May 15. Stephens was inactive for all 16 regular-season games in 2010.

• 3 weeks later...

Per Gruden, it appears that Brandon Tate is making his case for the No. 2 WR spot.

Meanwhile, offensive coordinator Jay Gruden said he sees a little-known NFL vet, Brandon Tate, along with a second-year guy in Armon Binns getting what he calls "significant playing time and production."

When Gruden breaks down the group trying to become Green's running mate, a list that looks to be anchored by Tate, second-year man Ryan Whalen and what amounts to the rookie duo of Binns and Mohamed Sanu, he likes the diversity they offer.

Special teams is going to be a huge factor deciding which six receivers make the roster and Tate and Hawkins would appear to have the upper hand. Tate can return punts and kicks (he set the Bengals single-season punt return yardage record last year), and if he's playing a lot of receiver, cornerback Adam Jones can return the punts Tate doesn't.

I can't say that makes me feel good since I was not at all impressed by Tate last year. But it's early.

There were many people that completely blew off the thought of Binns prior to the OTA's and minicamps.

I'm glad he's getting his shot. If Tate shows why he's the better option and earns the spot, so be it.

I wouldn't say he was my first option, but will go with what happens on the field.

Those 6 WR spots are going to be a real b*tch.

I'll tell you what, they would be better off putting Shipley on the PUP, because these cuts are going to be a b*tch.

Minus him being completely broke, I think it's hard to get rid of a guy who led all rookies that season in receptions.

There will be some really good players not making the roster.

Green, Tate, Sanu, Binns, Jones, Shipley, Hawkins, Whalen.

That doesn't even include the likes of Hazelton and the two other UDFA speedsters vying for 6 spots.

Hell, even if they decide to go 7 WR's (which they probably won't) they are still up against it.

This is a nice problem to have...

Per Gruden, it appears that Brandon Tate is making his case for the No. 2 WR spot.

Meanwhile, offensive coordinator Jay Gruden said he sees a little-known NFL vet, Brandon Tate, along with a second-year guy in Armon Binns getting what he calls "significant playing time and production."

When Gruden breaks down the group trying to become Green's running mate, a list that looks to be anchored by Tate, second-year man Ryan Whalen and what amounts to the rookie duo of Binns and Mohamed Sanu, he likes the diversity they offer.

Special teams is going to be a huge factor deciding which six receivers make the roster and Tate and Hawkins would appear to have the upper hand. Tate can return punts and kicks (he set the Bengals single-season punt return yardage record last year), and if he's playing a lot of receiver, cornerback Adam Jones can return the punts Tate doesn't.

I can't say that makes me feel good since I was not at all impressed by Tate last year. But it's early.

I consider this off season hype. There's not much to write about so we get stuff like this thrown at us

For what it's worth, I liked Binns coming out of college and was suprised when he came over to the Bengals.

He may have been raw, but he has all the ability in the world and with the time he has in the system, I think he suprises people this season.

In his senior season he had 75 catches with 1101 yards at 14.7 per and had 10 TD's.

I'll take that kind of production.

He's big, a better than average blocker, and is certainly capable of holding down the 4th or 5th spot if the coaches feel he's right there. Like the backup LB spot, the coaches seem pretty high on him and had him in the #6 inactive spot at the end of last season. If he doesn't make the roster, it will simply be due to us having that much talent at the position.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing the WR battle this season through camp and the preseason.