Colts @ Bengals Pre & Game Thread

HoosierCat

Any love for Andre Smith today? He held Mathis at bay the entire game.

Both OTs deserve some praise against two of the best edge rushers in the NFL.

Absolutely, the fact that neither Freeney nor Mathis even showed up in the stat sheet says something about the play of Smith and Whitworth....Smith played a hell of a game today!

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to mention one thing the o-line can do is pass block good (most of the time)! I hope over the bye they really work on the running game, they need to get something going if they want to hang with tough teams going down the stretch.

Imagine what this offense could do with a running game, i think it would be that much better.

Any love for Andre Smith today? He held Mathis at bay the entire game.

Both OTs deserve some praise against two of the best edge rushers in the NFL.

Andre Smith did pretty good in pass blocking today. So did Whit but I have to point out that Freeny has slowed down quite a bit over the last two years. He has become more of an after thought. The interior blocking still needs help. If the screen plays are going to be affective lineman need to release from their blocks properly and get down field fast. Also the receivers have to give more effort. On one of the Leonard screens, a receiver just stood down field in front of Leonard and watched instead of throwing a block that could have broken it open for a TD.

Anyone catch the crybabies (including Tony Dungy) of Football Bore in America complaining that Peerman should be fined for his big hit on special teams? "That's not supposed to be legal," Dungy sniffed. Waa waa waa. :lol:

Yeah, I got a funny story about that. So I had a turtle poking out and had been holding it for about 10 minutes when it finally came time for the punt. I thought to myself, if I am going to go now is the time because nothing exciting ever happens on Tate's punt returns. Then as I am sitting there doing my business with the door open so I can hear the game, I hear Harlan yell "WHAT A BLOCK BY PEERMAN! Tate returns the balls for 31 yards!" I finished and came back in right as the commercial finished hoping they would show the block again, and of coarse they didn't. So yeah, I missed the best hit of the game.

:frustrated:

Yeah, that's even better. How that's illegal I dunno, the Colt got his ass kicked because he didn't have his head on a swivel and Peerman nailed him from the front. But in today's p***y NFL they are probably right and he'll get fined 'cause, y'know, he hit a guy in a football game and that's frowned upon...

I have to point out that Freeny has slowed down quite a bit over the last two years. He has become more of an after thought.

Really? Someone must have forgotten to tell that to the Steelers... because when I watched that game Freeney looked pretty damn good. 2 sacks and a forced fumble, and was getting after Roethlisberger on nearly every play.

He had 10 sacks last year too... so while he might not be as elite as he once was, he's still a damn fine pass rusher. Certainly not an "after-thought" and both of these OTs deserve props.

I have to point out that Freeny has slowed down quite a bit over the last two years. He has become more of an after thought.

Really? Someone must have forgotten to tell that to the Steelers... because when I watched that game Freeney looked pretty damn good. 2 sacks and a forced fumble, and was getting after Roethlisberger on nearly every play.

He had 10 sacks last year too... so while he might not be as elite as he once was, he's still a damn fine pass rusher. Certainly not an "after-thought" and both of these OTs deserve props.

Yeah, no real complaints about Flesh Zeppelin's pass pro this game.

All I have to say is this Bengals team is better than I ever envisioned. Maybe Walzav was right, and this team can contend for the division title. I honestly didn't think 4 wins was a possibility this year.

It's obvious I under estimated this team.

All I have to say is this Bengals team is better than I ever envisioned. Maybe Walzav was right, and this team can contend for the division title. I honestly didn't think 4 wins was a possibility this year.

It's obvious I under estimated this team.

They've surprised me as well. The only reason I still don't give them a chance for a playoff spot is the fact that they haven't really dominated anyone this season. I know that you can't expect a blowout every week in the NFL, but every Bengals game has been close. Given their opponents they should have at least played one game that didn't nearly give me a heart attack. They seem to lack that killer instinct to put games away that most of the playoff-caliber teams have.

On the other hand, they're making plays when they have to (Denver aside), and that's got to make you happy. Last year we managed to lose most of the close ones, and this year they're doing exactly the opposite.

The Steelers Offensive line has pretty much been in shambles all season. They just called up Max Starks off the street this week and he started.

10 sacks in a season isn't the same bench mark it used to be for a defensive end in the NFL that starts all season. DeMarcus Ware led the NFL with 15.5 last season, Dumervil led with 17 the season before that, and in 2008 Ware led the league with 20. Ware's 20 was twice as many as Freeny. You have to look no further than the Bengals for an example. Dunlap played in less than half a season, not even as a starter, and tallied 9 and half last year. This has become a pass happy league and you are going to get more sacks, because there are just more opportunities.

Now on a side note, something we argued about before, here is a quote from Yahoo's Jason Cole about Dunlap. If this did happen, Gator's coaches cost this kids millions of dollars. I guess his loss is the Bengal's gain.

Dunlap was highly criticized by Florida coaches to NFL personnel people when he came out after his junior year, according to sources. He dropped from a possible top 10 pick to the second round because of perceived lack of effort. He has great talent if he can put it together.

10 sacks in a season isn't the same bench mark it used to be for a defensive end in the NFL that starts all season.

Perhaps not... but he was still in the top 10 in the NFL last year. So perhaps he's no longer top 2 or 3, but he's still a lot nearer to the top than the bottom.

He currently has 4.5 sacks... which is also currently top 10 in the NFL. And a top 10 pass rusher was held to zero stats yesterday.

10 sacks in a season isn't the same bench mark it used to be for a defensive end in the NFL that starts all season.

Perhaps not... but he was still in the top 10 in the NFL last year.

I would like to correct myself. Freeney was not in the top 10... He was ranked 17th. Mathis was 10th. My bad.

That said... Only the Giants had a more productive duo in the entire NFL last season, and the Bengal OTs shut them both down. No need to try to take anything away from this performance. It was impressive.

Anyone catch the crybabies (including Tony Dungy) of Football Bore in America complaining that Peerman should be fined for his big hit on special teams? "That's not supposed to be legal," Dungy sniffed. Waa waa waa. :lol:

No one complained when Kimo wrecked Palmer's knee. Just tough Steeler football! No one complained when cheap shot artist Hines smashed Rivers' jaw. That's also just tough Steeler football! A Bengal hits someone, "That's not supposed to happen!"

I would like to correct myself. Freeney was not in the top 10... He was ranked 17th. Mathis was 10th. My bad.

That said... Only the Giants had a more productive duo in the entire NFL last season, and the Bengal OTs shut them both down. No need to try to take anything away from this performance. It was impressive.

Now I didn't say they didn't do a good job, but it just isn't the same feat as when say, Levi Jones held Freeny to zero sacks. You also have to take into account what one of the announcers said during the game. The Colts defense is meant to play against teams that are battling from behind in the score. Which used to be true most of the time when Peyton was playing, but then if a team was behind, the defensive ends could just pin their ears back and rush the quarterback. So thusly, they would get more sacks and more chances at sacks. The Colts have recently been built mostly on speed and not size, that's why they usually suck against the run and are good in the passing game. The loss of Bob Sanders has made their rush defense even worse. The Bengals won despite not capitalizing on that.

Now I didn't say they didn't do a good job, but it just isn't the same feat as when say, Levi Jones held Freeny to zero sacks. You also have to take into account what one of the announcers said during the game. The Colts defense is meant to play against teams that are battling from behind in the score. Which used to be true most of the time when Peyton was playing, but then if a team was behind, the defensive ends could just pin their ears back and rush the quarterback. So thusly, they would get more sacks and more chances at sacks. The Colts have recently been built mostly on speed and not size, that's why they usually suck against the run and are good in the passing game. The loss of Bob Sanders has made their rush defense even worse. The Bengals won despite not capitalizing on that.

I watched a game where the Colts stacked the line to stop the run, and the Bengals took advantage of that by using the weapons they have in the passing game.

The O-line did a really good job in pass protection, but they need to work on the runblocking. Way to many times was there an unblocked man waiting to tackle a RB for a small gain or loss yesterday.

It seems that this O-line can either run block or pass block in any game, they just cant do both in the same game.

I watched a game where the Colts stacked the line to stop the run, and the Bengals took advantage of that by using the weapons they have in the passing game.

The O-line did a really good job in pass protection, but they need to work on the runblocking. Way to many times was there an unblocked man waiting to tackle a RB for a small gain or loss yesterday.

It seems that this O-line can either run block or pass block in any game, they just cant do both in the same game.

See when they stack the line like that, basically doing a run blitz, that's when the screens and play action passes come into play. If the Bengals are running a standard or offset 'I' formation I don't understand why they don't play fake the run and then throw it to the FB once he chip blocks on the edge and roams into the flats. Seems like a play that would work awesome for them. They should even try loading the backfield with Leonard playing FB like he did in college and running that play.

If they do the play action pass against a run blitz it will hopefully draw up the safeties so Dalton could hit Green on a skinny post for a long TD. Those are just a few of the things I see.

I agree the FB needs to be involved more in the offense. I also would like to see them set up some of the screens that Leonard gets for Scott. If they get Scott in the second level, he is a greasy runner. I am in no way saying that Scott should get the touches that Leonard gets, just that those plays would work for him also.

Leonard has been a very good third down back again this year and I was hoping to see them give him a chance late against the Colts running, but for some reason Scott got the series. Right when they needed to pound the rock they bring in the scat back, WTF?

Yeah, that's even better. How that's illegal I dunno, the Colt got his ass kicked because he didn't have his head on a swivel and Peerman nailed him from the front. But in today's p***y NFL they are probably right and he'll get fined 'cause, y'know, he hit a guy in a football game and that's frowned upon...

Sure enough, Peerman gets screwed.

@joereedy Joe Reedy

Cedric Peerman fined $20,000 for an illegal blindside block in last Sunday's game

Bullsh*t. :angry: