Carson Palmer Thread

NJ29

But what about the '09 offseason? Remember when he was gushing about the team, saying they were really good and were going to surprise people.

And "what if", after the '09 season Palmer was being the company man when he was gushing about the team, all the while trying to figure his way out of town ??

We can what if and try to think we have this nailed down, but I really truly believe there is far more to this than what any of us really know.

That was just my attempt at nonsense and a continuation of the what if, Derek. Not meant to mean a whole lot...

But what about the '09 offseason? Remember when he was gushing about the team, saying they were really good and were going to surprise people.

And "what if", after the '09 season Palmer was being the company man when he was gushing about the team, all the while trying to figure his way out of town ??

We can what if and try to think we have this nailed down, but I really truly believe there is far more to this than what any of us really know.

That was just my attempt at nonsense and a continuation of the what if, Derek. Not meant to mean a whole lot...

A couple of thoughts,

1) Not all 'what ifs' are created equal. Some are more credible than others. Currently, I'm arguing against the ridiculous notion that Palmer's ultimatum stems from hurt feelings because MB was (as Hoosier put it) "actively looking to replace him" despite mounds of evidence to the contrary (the depth chart for example).

2) I have no desire to "nail down" Palmer's reasons. But defending Palmer's actions is a pill I won't swallow. Mike Brown is a know-nothing-buffoon on one day, and an evil genius the next, depending on the argument that's being made. Currently I'm hearing that MB's interest in Vick was disloyal to Palmer, and vindicates Palmer's actions by painting him a victim. I call bulls**t on the whole notion... let alone the propaganda that's being spewed on it's basis.

3) Your attempt to derail the argument by saying it's a road to nowhere is offensive to me... seeing as we're only 551 posts away from 100 pages.

Are we ever going to hear Palmer say anything anymore. Or is it always going to be a 'friend' speaking for him.

More proof that he just doesn't have what it takes.

Part of me waNt him to report in week five to force bengals hand. Then we start him at PBS with no practice, no knowledge of the playbook, under a stadium of booing.

Pretty brutal, but he quit on the fans who cheered him on for years.not one word to us. Palmer jersey to be burned on opening day.

Vick certainly worked out well for Philly. But Goodell didn't steer him there because he thought Vick would be a great player who would take the Eagles to the playoffs. He was steering him away from Cincy and Buffalo in order to keep Vick out of trouble. And I can't blame him.

Out of trouble? Last I checked, Philly is far closer to his old Virgina crew than Cincy or Buffalo. Buffalo is certainly not the epicenter of NFL trouble... Cincinnati has had its share of athletes making poor choices but that is more the lockerroom crowd than the city.

The thing that jumps out at me is that Philly is an organization that is well run and wins quite a bit, whereas Cincy and Buffalo do not. At the time, Philly had Donovan McNabb and Kolb. Buffalo had Losman and Trent Edwards. Cincy had Palmer and JT O'suckagain. I'd say the QB situation would probably be better for Vick at Buffalo, and would probably expose him to less unsavory opportunities where he might get in trouble.

What Goodell was doing was improper in every way. His interference in the players decision could probably be litigated. It is not his job to "guide" or "steer" any player to any team, ever.

Man, this really seasl it for me with Goodell. Don't even get me started on his HGH testing plan, and game-day drug tests. The man is an outright idiot.

Out of trouble? Last I checked, Philly is far closer to his old Virgina crew than Cincy or Buffalo. Buffalo is certainly not the epicenter of NFL trouble...

A good point that is probably getting somewhat lost here (since this is a Bengals board and all). Why would Vick be "steered away from trouble" in Buffalo? Cincy at least there is an argument based on .... well everybody knows what it would be based on. What's the issue with Buffalo? And since when is Philly such a warm and cuddly environment for every player to snuggle into? TO shredded that locker room like every other one he stepped into. Andy Reid's kids are doing lines off of the hood of his car right now. Other than the fact that Goddell and, apparently, Tony Dungy (and since when did he become Bill freaking Cosby?) say so, why is Philly the current choir to which all the boys should be steered? Why not Buffalo? Could it be...that the NFL doesn't like the way its owner voted the last time around on the CBA???

TO is trouble. No matter what team you play him with. Tony Dungy a Bill Crosby freak. Dungy is a class act. Crosby isn't these days. Philly I hear is anything BUT the city of brotherly love!

TO is trouble. No matter what team you play him with. Tony Dungy a Bill Crosby freak. Dungy is a class act. Crosby isn't these days. Philly I hear is anything BUT the city of brotherly love!

Bill freaking Cosby - as in the guy whose every word and opinion is accorded solemn respect, but nobody quite knows exactly why. Sure, everybody loves Dungy and he absolutely is classy. That said, he's a former football coach who has somehow now morphed into a yoda-like figure for reasons that kinda escape me.

A Vick signing would have been a standard Bengals move.

I'm glad it never happened. I'm watching the Steelers dismantle Michael at this very moment. If I wanted a QB good at throwing INT's, I'd want Carson back.

***EDIT*** Uh...make that 3 picks for Vick.

I'm glad it never happened. I'm watching the Steelers dismantle Michael at this very moment. If I wanted a QB good at throwing INT's, I'd want Carson back.

Yea that "dream team" looks very dreamy right now LOL LOL. Oh wait its just preseason!

Yea that "dream team" looks very dreamy right now LOL LOL. Oh wait its just preseason!

The "Dream Team" played their starters up to halftime. The Steelers went to the bench in the 2nd quarter.

The "Dream Team" played their starters up to halftime. The Steelers went to the bench in the 2nd quarter.

Funny isnt it, however you know everybody will say its just preseason no worries.

The Bengals play like that, and they are the worst team in the NFL.

Oh well whatever maybe the Bengals are the worst team, but i just laugh because you know thats how it is, and what people say LOL

What Goodell was doing was improper in every way. His interference in the players decision could probably be litigated. It is not his job to "guide" or "steer" any player to any team, ever.

Yesterday I watched as Sal Palintonio openly mocked the NFL's claim that the decision was Vick's alone, reminding viewers that prior to a visit from Tony Dungy and Roger Goodell neither the Eagles owners, GM, or it's coaching staff had shown any interest in Vick. More telling, Palantonio claimed the Eagles ownership was very reluctant to even discuss the matter with Dungy and Goodell, had previously been one of Vick's biggest critics, and as a result had to be talked into the idea of considering Vick.

It's blatant tampering. The only question left to debate is whether anyone will care.

Bill freaking Cosby - as in the guy whose every word and opinion is accorded solemn respect, but nobody quite knows exactly why. Sure, everybody loves Dungy and he absolutely is classy. That said, he's a former football coach who has somehow now morphed into a yoda-like figure for reasons that kinda escape me.

Yeah, and after his kid commits suicide, he became some kind of expert on parenting.

None of which supports your conclusion that they were going to offer him the starting spot.

Hey, it's not "my conclusion." It's just what the article says.

It's the conclusion you've wholeheartedly adopted.

No, it's just what Vick said. I didn't have to "conclude" anything.

As for your take that Goddell had a legitimate interest in "steering" Vick to Philly - are you serious about that? Goddell has an equal obligation to every team in the league. If he's telling players not to go to a specific team because he thinks it might lead to problems he's favoring one team over another. That's the ONE thing he absolutely cannot do if he's going to maintain any legitimacy in his position. He is commissioner of the NFL, not the Eagles, Patriots, Cowboys and Steelers. Just go to PFT and see the sh**storm brewing over this (and the league's attempted preemptive strike - "what, we didn't do it, Vick must be mistaken") starting out of Buffalo. It's a totally legitimate corruption story and there's plenty of history of favoritism to make it believable.

Exactly. Goodell is commissioner of the entire NFL. And if he's not going to keep Vick on the sidelines permanently a la Thurman, doesn't he have a responsibility to try and make sure Vick does no further damage to the league's image? If that means steering him away from a team like the Bengals who have a demonstrated history of not being a good place for troubled players, I don't see that as beyond the pale.

Now, if we were talking about a situation where the commissioner deliberately steered a star player to a specific team so they could win more games/championships, that would be a different story. But I haven't seen any evidence of anything like that so far.

I disagree with your suggestion that that the Bengals have a demonstrated history of not being a good place for troubled players. Quite the contrary. They have shown a patience and tolerance that has brought the best out the troubled players who had it in them to turn their lives and careers around. But, Goodell did the Bengals a favor. By the way, it is ludicrous to even suggest that MB would have contemplated Vick as a challenge to Palmer. MB loved Palmer. Maybe he still does. And last night's game was no fluke-last season was.The weakest link in the Eagle's "dream team" season will be Vick. Again. Goodell did the Bengals a favor.

Your attempt to derail the argument by saying it's a road to nowhere is offensive to me... seeing as we're only 551 posts away from 100 pages.

SH*T, what was I thinking ?? My bad. Allow me to help the cause.

With the news of Frank Gore not being close on a new contract with San Fran and everyone knowing Carson would love to play out there....

How about a trade involving Palmer and a draft pick from us for Gore and Mays from the 49er's ??

Alex Smith sucks balls and Kaepernick isn't ready. Palmer could start immediately and do wonders for that team and be a good player for Kaepernick to learn behind. Well, except for the whole "how to be a quitter" thing of course.

Will it happen ?? Probably not close, but figured since the talk was about Mays getting traded and now Gore and seeing as how Palmer would love to play out West, why not ?? Anyway, just trying to help the cause !!! Carry on...

Is it possible the front office is holding out till his Palmer's stock reaches maximum potential? Maybe they are waiting for teams

to get in more of a desperation mode to make a better offer. It would definitely be interesting to hear what has been offered for Palmer,

but that probably won't come out for years if ever.

So, What happens if Palmer shows up to force Mikes hand right before first game?

Of course Jordan gets cut.

Can they PUP him? Can they gauge that he isn't showing up to play but to collect his money or force them to trade or cut him?

As I said before, I would screw with him, maybe try and maybe convert him to oline or slot receiver.

Can the Bengals argue that he isn't showing up to play football. Conduct detrimental and all of that.

He pulls a stunt like that and the gloves come off.

If he did that though, he would be a liar and sackless.

I think if Carson shows up, he "should" simply sit while Dalton continues to learn. He's already counted against this seasons cap and the Bengals wouldn't be forced to do anything with him. That being said, I would FULLY expect Mike Brown to name Carson the starting QB week one. That could very well be the straw that breaks the back of many a fan.

If Carson would do that the following season, it might make things a little more interesting.