Carson Palmer Thread

NJ29

Here is what I think. He wants to get out of the house because he has 2 toddlers running around the house and the naggiest wife in NFL history. He realizes that he is going down in as the biggest quitter QB in NFL history. He came back to talk to the team, and was like WTF Willie?!!?!?!! He told Wille, and then like all athletes these days Willie couldn't resist twittering and spoke too soon. Now he's recanting it. Here is what I know

He hasn't filed retirement papers

He has his wife back on the West Coast

He's due 11 million dollars

He looks like a douche

He has kids running screaming around the house

They got rid of Chad,T.O. and drafted AJ Green

They have a new OC

Think logically. 18 years from now. "Tell us again Uncle Jordan how much you loved playing in the NFL! Our daddy quit"

That's humiliating for a proffesional athlete. More talented guys than Carson stayed on this team. We should welcome him back. Dalton will lead us 2014 and beyond!

You shouldn't look at it as Dalton vs Palmer. Look at it Palmer vs Bruce.

Okay, well the last time Palmer went head to head against Gradkowski, Carson lost. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if memory serves, Palmer has never beaten Gradkowski when they've both started against each other.

My point is I want nothing to do with Carson "The Quitter" Palmer. I think half the reason he's doing this is he knows he's done in this league. The other half is his domineering wife.

Look at it as Palmer telling everyone involved that he wanted nothing to do with this team.

Now think real hard....

Is that the type of "leader" you want in charge of a very young team ?? Any team ??

If so, I really have to question that thought.

Hell no i dont want Palmer anywhere near this team. I think they finally have a team, where guys want to play here, and care more about the football team, then other things! From ive been reading from everyone, Dalton is acting like a leader, taking charge in the huddle, telling guys where to line up and correcting them when they do something wrong. Ill ride this Dalton train as far as he takes it, because hes a guy that wants to help this team win, and in my book thats good enough for me. Go Dalton!

Look at it as Palmer telling everyone involved that he wanted nothing to do with this team.

Now think real hard....

Is that the type of "leader" you want in charge of a very young team ?? Any team ??

If so, I really have to question that thought.

So at what point does Carson come out with some sort of statement? Is he never to be heard from again? Is that it?

This whole thing is too fkn weird for me.

I just wish I knew what happend. It is weird. Was it the trash on his lawn? The constant losing? Chad and TO? Marvin? Bratkowski? Booing after the 25000 yards? No practice bubble? I've never seen this before from the QB position. A press conference would help.

I just wish I knew what happend. It is weird. Was it the trash on his lawn? The constant losing? Chad and TO? Marvin? Bratkowski? Booing after the 25000 yards? No practice bubble? I've never seen this before from the QB position. A press conference would help.

Allow me to paraphrase Gene Hackman from one of my favorite football movies...The Replacements. "It's about heart. You gotta have heart."

And Palmer hasn't had it for the past three years, even in our last playoff run. So, was it any of the reasons you mentioned? Let's see...

Trash on the lawn...move, put the house under your wife's name and don't tell anyone where you live.

Constant losing...you're the quarterback, stop losing. Those late-game drive killing interceptions and pick sixes didn't help.

Chad and TO...gone and gone.

Marvin...Suck it up.

Brat...gone.

Booing after the 25000 yards...again, see 'Constant losing'.

No practice bubble...child please.

So, in sum, the real reason Palmer's gone...NO HEART!!!!

and no, he ain't holding a press conference to announce he's the tin man from Wizard of Oz.

I can't see any point to a press conference now. The last thing the Bengals need is more off-field distractions and drama. Hell, look at what a few bullcrap tweets from Big Mouth Willie stirred up. The best thing both sides could do is clam up until after the season, then they can hopefully work something out to finally put an end to this mess.

Press conference ?? For what ?? To hear some bullsh*t blah blah blah, I don't really care about ??

I already know all I need to know about one Carson Palmer. He has no sack. He's a quiiter. He's no leader.

All of that is already known press conference or not and I have no use for anything else he could say.

If it's something about the team, there's probably nothing he could say that hasn't already been said on this forum.

As for the other non-team issues like trash on his lawn, whatever. I don't care.

If trash on his lawn is actually a factor in him earning millions, f*ck him even more.

Press conference ?? For what ?? To hear some bullsh*t blah blah blah, I don't really care about ??

I already know all I need to know about one Carson Palmer. He has no sack. He's a quiiter. He's no leader.

Yeah. A press conference is what many wanted several months ago. At this point, we know everything we need to know. The Bengals have moved on, and he hasn't shown up to camp.

I don't care what his reasons are. F*ck him.

Via oldschooler over at go-bengals, this from Schefty on espn insider:

Q: With so many teams in need for quarterbacks this year, why aren't we seeing anybody trying to entice Carson Palmer out of his retirement? At just 31, he could still be a major upgrade for any team in the need for a starter or even a mentor.

-- Hunter (Vt.)

A: Because they know how dug-in Bengals owner Mike Brown is, Hunter. He isn't going to trade Palmer. He has made it known, in no uncertain terms, that he will not make a deal. The Bengals have gotten multiple calls about Palmer's availability -- and they have told whoever is calling that they aren't dealing him. If the Bengals want to change their stance, teams would be interested. But for the time being, they're not budging. Keep in mind, a few years ago, the Bengals turned down two first-round picks for Ochocinco from the Washington Redskins. They waited, and now traded him to the Patriots for a fifth- and sixth-round pick.

Yeah, the Chad situation turned out real well in the long run.

It would be nice to avoid that with Carson.

I mean it's not like how Chad was handled worked wonders for the team.

Then again, maybe our crack scouting department can turn those 5th and 6th round picks into hall of famers.

Yeah, the Chad situation turned out real well in the long run.

Meh. It would have been nice to get rid of Chad several years ago... but that's about the only thing that would have been gained.

The 1st round pick in '08 would have been used on a Chad replacement. Looking for a #1 WR, Cincy likely would have selected James Hardy or Devin Thomas. Both busted immediately.

The other 1st round pick was conditional (based upon what conditions is anybody's guess). Chad did not train at all in the '08 offseason... so whether Cincy or Washington, he wasn't going to play well. I'm guessing the best Cincy would have gotten in return would have been an '09 3rd round pick.

So, based on what we know now, the Bengals didn't lose much at all in terms of real compensation for Chad in a trade. Which is why trading proven players for draft picks isn't usually a terribly effective strategy.

Look at the Broncos got in return for Cutler and Marshall. Not the draft picks... the actual players they drafted. The Broncos got squat. All the more reason to tell Palmer to go f*ck himself.

The 1st round pick in '08 would have been used on a Chad replacement. Looking for a #1 WR, Cincy likely would have selected James Hardy or Devin Thomas. Both busted immediately.

Possibly. Or they might have stuck with the guys they drafted in 2008 to replace Chad, Simpson and Caldwell. Or they might have taken Hardy and spent one or both of those picks on someone more useful. Or maybe not. Still, I think in the final analysis it's better to take your shots with, say, a 1 and a 3 versus a 5 and a 6.

Possibly. Or they might have stuck with the guys they drafted in 2008 to replace Chad, Simpson and Caldwell. Or they might have taken Hardy and spent one or both of those picks on someone more useful. Or maybe not. Still, I think in the final analysis it's better to take your shots with, say, a 1 and a 3 versus a 5 and a 6.

The entire reason Chad didn't get traded was because there was no WR in the draft viewed as a Chad replacement. The implication being, had they made the trade, WR certainly would have been the selection at #21. And that player almost certainly would have busted.

It isn't a 1st and 3rd vs. a 5th and 6th. It's just the 3rd vs. a 5th and 6th. And the value difference is negligible.

The argument being... even if someone gave up a 1st round pick for Palmer, in all likelihood... 5 years from now it would be viewed as a bad trade.

The argument being... even if someone gave up a 1st round pick for Palmer, in all likelihood... 5 years from now it would be viewed as a bad trade.

Possibly. Possibly not. Remember, no one is talking about spending any picks we got for Palmer on a QB. And given the image and front-office-(un)willingness-to-spend issues we have when it comes to attracting or retaining free agents, letting opportunities to take a shot at top talent rot in California seems unwise, to say the least.

Nothing is that set in stone with what would have happened or picks made.

All i'm saying is, I would have rathered gotten rid of Chad back then and taken my chances with what the team may or may not have done with the picks.

I don't think forcing him to stick around netted the team much of anything.

If they are able to net something worthwhile with those 5th and 6th round picks, fine.

I'm just not betting on it. They aren't worth s**t to move around with.

Even if they were to package a 4th, AND the Pats 5th and 6th, they would maybe be able to get into the bottom of the 3rd.

Possibly. Possibly not. Remember, no one is talking about spending any picks we got for Palmer on a QB.

Neither am I. But would you trade Carson Palmer for Andre Smith? Because even if you get a top 5 pick in return for Palmer, you're giving up a known commodity for an unknown one... and the unknown commodity can sometimes be worse than nothing.

If a team wants to lessen the risk assumed by the Bengals by sweetening the pot with proven players that are of relative equal value to Carson Palmer, I'm all for it. But I don't want draft picks. Especially considering that a 1st rounder from the (insert team name here) immediately becomes less valuable when they have a proven QB.

Neither am I. But would you trade Carson Palmer for Andre Smith? Because even if you get a top 5 pick in return for Palmer, you're giving up a known commodity for an unknown one... and the unknown commodity can sometimes be worse than nothing.

Well, we can insert different names in there for Smith and the answer would change. (Heck, if Marvin's praise of him today is accurate we may not even need to do that much.) But I think the days when a top 5 bust is worse than nothing are over thanks to the new CBA.

If a team wants to lessen the risk assumed by the Bengals by sweetening the pot with proven players that are of relative equal value to Carson Palmer, I'm all for it. But I don't want draft picks. Especially considering that a 1st rounder from the (insert team name here) immediately becomes less valuable when they have a proven QB.

I wouldn't object to a player-for-player (or players) trade. As to draft picks, they may not be optimal but I would take what I could get. Sure, the Bengals may f**k up the picks, but they might pull a rabbit out of the hat, too.