THE CHANGES THREAD...Marvin to return

combatbengal

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to wait awhile before commenting on this clusterfudge after I had a day to sit back and digest it. Now that I have, let's see what we've learned in the last few days.....

Our scouting guy is all we really need.

We have email and laptop computers these days, so you don't REALLY need guys traveling to schools to scout. Translation: Mike Brown can just read scouting reports off of the internet.

No GM is forthcoming. Marvin Lewis is apparently happy with that. He dislikes middlemen.

We traded for Reggie Nelson, this conclusively proves our front office is great.

Marvin Lewis already has control of his roster and gets the convicts errr players he wants.

Marvin Lewis can have whatever coaches he wants and always has had that option.

Someday maybe we'll get an indoor practice facility. But we've done alright training outdoors.

Marvin Lewis is fine with only having one scout.

MAYBE some inept coaches will be relieved of their duties. Mike and Marvin are going to look over that.

Marvins holdup wasn't a practice bubble, scouts, personnel, coaches, a GM, money or any of that.(WTF WAS the actual hold up?)

Marvin has been the one making the choices everyone has long blamed Brown over.

We at 4-12 are close to where we want to be.

Marvin has a contract, for some amount of time.

Marvin has a contract, for some amount of money.

We've learned via Mike Brown that really we do EVERYTHING well. There isn't anything we do bad at all.

Lewis has more control than every other HC in the NFL.

There will be "changes", but nothing substantial or anything we need to know about.

Chad isn't REALLY in an option year, he's under contract until further notice(2012).

We also know that Lewis had his agent call around other teams looking for a HC job. Noone was interested.

Translation of the above: Nothing is really going to change. It will be the same old same old. Lewis likely wanted concessions however he had no HC options in the NFL except for here. He caved in and Mike Brown not only got a sweetheart deal, he got Marvin Lewis to go on TV and take the blame for EVERYTHING over the last decade.

ALTHOUGH word also is Katie is the one that wanted Lewis back and changes made. ESPN didn't just suddenly think that up after Lewis walked out of PBS. Word according to ESPN and former players is she wants a team like Pitt and Balt, in the playoffs every year and a constant threat to win the Superbowl. Now keep in mind ESPN hasn't ever said anything like this on TV before. They've never even mentioned her name regarding anything before.

It is pure speculation on my part but it's possible Lewis leaked this info. Further, the Bengals website let slip the deal is a two year deal. Just speculating but maybe, MAYBE it's possible that Katie will be taking over in two years and promised Lewis the concessions he reportedly wanted. By all indications he didn't get ANY concessions and walked out of PBS once yesterday without a contract. Just putting two and two together i'm wondering if Katie talked him into returning with a later guarantee? The situation just makes little sense but when you put everything together that's kinda where it leads.

Maybe the two year deal is to ensure that if Mike Brown doesn't step down Lewis is free to leave. I just keep coming back to.... There's GOTTA be something more to this. There's no way he walked away yesterday ready to leave only to return an hour later and sign a deal where NO changes were made AND willingly go on TV and let Brown sit there twiddling his thumbs as Lewis took the heat for everything.

I'm curious what he defines as an "option" year, because it's painfully obvious to me that when the organization can either pay said player a smaller amount of money to leave the team OR pay him more money to stay with the team, that is IN FACT an "OPTION" that the organization holds over said player.

People can say what they want, but Chad coming back to this team doesn't help it. His presence here hasn't helped for more than last season and i'm sick of arguing about it. Chad is a b*tch, he isn't concerned about football or this team winning. If you think he is, than you and I have a VERY different view of what dedication and desire to be the best team possible are.

On a side note, I'm given yet more opportunities to say:

F*CK YOU CHAD !!!

I'm not the type to wish ill upon people, but i'm getting close in this regard.

The guy forgets how he whored himself around during the Super Bowl a few years back and threw everyone else under the bus. Just another amazing chapter in the history of this storied franchise. :wacko:

Sporting News Radio with 2 Live Stews

[/i]http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2011/01/05/add-chad-ochocinco-to-list-of-folks-not-pleased-with-marvin-lewis-return/

On Marvin Lewis coming back as coach:

"I have nothing to say about that. I'm not the owner of the team. My hands are out of that situation. The only thing I can remember, as of right now, about Coach Lewis, is Coach Lewis throwing me under the bus. When it was time to play the Chargers, knowing that I was hurt. That's the only thing I can remember at this point."

On why the Bengals fell so far short of their goals this year:

"I don't know what went wrong. I have no idea. I haven't been able to figure it out. The funny thing is I was thinking about last year's season. We don't have nowhere near as much talent as we did this season"

On whether he?ll be able to coexist with Marvin Lewis next year:

"I don't know. Honestly, I don't know. To say some of the things that have been said in the past, for some reason, when I was especially down. When you look for support, it's always got to come from the one higher up. For the one higher up to say the things he said, it's really hurt. I don't see myself really feeling [that].

I'm curious what he defines as an "option" year, because it's painfully obvious to me that when the organization can either pay said player a smaller amount of money to leave the team OR pay him more money to stay with the team, that is IN FACT an "OPTION" that the organization holds over said player.

People can say what they want, but Chad coming back to this team doesn't help it. His presence here hasn't helped for more than last season and i'm sick of arguing about it. Chad is a b*tch, he isn't concerned about football or this team winning. If you think he is, than you and I have a VERY different view of what dedication and desire to be the best team possible are.

F*CK YOU CHAD !!!

The guy forgets how he whored himself around during the Super Bowl a few years back and threw everyone else under the bus. Just another amazing chapter in the history of this storied franchise. :wacko:

[/i]http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2011/01/05/add-chad-ochocinco-to-list-of-folks-not-pleased-with-marvin-lewis-return/

"I have nothing to say about that. I'm not the owner of the team. My hands are out of that situation. The only thing I can remember, as of right now, about Coach Lewis, is Coach Lewis throwing me under the bus. When it was time to play the Chargers, knowing that I was hurt. That's the only thing I can remember at this point."

"I don't know what went wrong. I have no idea. I haven't been able to figure it out. The funny thing is I was thinking about last year's season. We don't have nowhere near as much talent as we did this season"

"I don't know. Honestly, I don't know. To say some of the things that have been said in the past, for some reason, when I was especially down. When you look for support, it's always got to come from the one higher up. For the one higher up to say the things he said, it's really hurt. I don't see myself really feeling [that].

What a douchebag.

Dunno why. After all, it seems you and Mopey both want the same thing. :)

Nope, hasn't changed a thing. I'm still to a point of wishing him ill and those remarks only confirm what many of us have been saying for a while.

Chad is an attention whore who has so little concern for anything other than himself, there's simply no way he's not a distraction.

Chad Johnson was great, this f*ckrag needs to be thrown out with the trash.

Just pay him the amount to get rid of his ass and move on.

Wait, I'm sure someone is still willing to bring up all his receiving accomplishments from better than 3 seasons ago and tell us how he's needed.

F*CK YOU CHAD !!!

What a joke, all this guy does every year is cry, and i cant take it anymore! I cant take the drama of this team when he is hear. Everything about this team, is always about Chad its never about the whole team. He needs to go, they need to to cut is a** and move on with this football team. All that i ask is no more drama, i just want to see a year where its about football not about what TV show Chad is doing next!!!

The guy forgets how he whored himself around during the Super Bowl a few years back and threw everyone else under the bus.

I'm expecting more of the same this year. Granted, I'm guessing Chad won't be as over-the-top as he was before, but only because I think he realized he hurt himself badly by doing so. But he always travels to the site of the Super Bowl and he always holds court for a few days. In fact, several months ago he promised Dan Patrick he'd drop by for another long interview that week...which has become something of a tradition for both.

Obviously, at this point I'm actually hoping he demands to be traded. All I'd ask is that he does it with a little more restraint than before. Just say trade me and let the press run with it, as they will.

Everything else is just noise.

The guy forgets how he whored himself around during the Super Bowl a few years back and threw everyone else under the bus.

I'm expecting more of the same this year. Granted, I'm guessing Chad won't be as over-the-top as he was before, but only because I think he realized he hurt himself badly by doing so. But he always travels to the site of the Super Bowl and he always holds court for a few days. In fact, several months ago he promised Dan Patrick he'd drop by for another long interview that week...which has become something of a tradition for both.

Obviously, at this point I'm actually hoping he demands to be traded. All I'd ask is that he does it with a little more restraint than before. Just say trade me and let the press run with it, as they will.

Everything else is just noise.

Screw that Hair just cut his a** now, who gives a crap what people say or what the media thinks. If he is still hear he will nothing but a huge distraction again. Cut him now!!!!!

Anybody else find it funny how Carson denies to talk to the media after finding out Marvin is back???

All other players excited, but Carson dosnt want to talk. You have to wonder if Carson is just tired of it all, and dosnt want to say anything till there are some kind of change???

Anybody else find it funny how Carson denies to talk to the media after finding out Marvin is back???

All other players excited, but Carson dosnt want to talk. You have to wonder if Carson is just tired of it all, and dosnt want to say anything till there are some kind of change???

I didn't know he was asked. Did he give a no comment or something?

I didn't know he was asked. Did he give a no comment or something?

Look at the bottom of the one article on bengals.com the one for players comments. At the very bottom they reached out to Carson yesterday, but declined to comment on anything.

Screw that Hair just cut his a** now, who gives a crap what people say or what the media thinks. If he is still hear he will nothing but a huge distraction again. Cut him now!!!!!

While I agree with the sentiment cutting Chad is tricky. If you cut him right now you instantly make clear to everyone where you're heading in the draft. HOWEVER if you don't cut him within the next two months you'll be on the hook for several mil. It's a tough situation, get Brown to eat a few million dollars to protect your draft plans or just boot him before March 1st and risk teams trading up ahead of us to grab AJ Green and Julio Jones off the board.

I said the same things as recently as a week or so ago, both because that's the way I felt AND because that's the way things looked like they were playing out. But with Marvin coming back, coupled with his most recent comments about Chad's contract status, things aren't exactly playing out as I desire. Suddenly I'm reduced to hoping the Marvin Puppet is just posturing for his boss with the idea of recouping whatever trade value Chad might have left. Even worse, I now find myself hoping Chad does his mopey best to make it happen.

Well, you have to figure that Luck (if he comes out) will go number 1.

If there are teams willing to trade up to #2 and #3 to take both Green and Jones ahead of us, I would laugh.

Jones at #3 would be like the Raiders taking Heyward-Bey all over again. HUGE reach at that point.

That being the case, there would still be plenty of options available.

Peterson from LSU comes to mind and move him to safety.

I said the same things as recently as a week or so ago, both because that's the way I felt AND because that's the way things looked like they were playing out. But with Marvin coming back, coupled with his most recent comments about Chad's contract status, things aren't exactly playing out as I desire. Suddenly I'm reduced to hoping the Marvin Puppet is just posturing for his boss with the idea of recouping whatever trade value Chad might have left. Even worse, I now find myself hoping Chad does his mopey best to make it happen.

While i see your point, and in ways i agree with it, i just cant stand another week with this fool. I want Marvin to set an example now, meaning if your not in this 110%, and your mind is elsewhere during the season, and your more worried about tweeting or facebooking, then you dont deserve to be on this team.

As much as im not a Marvin guy, we are stuck with him, so he wants change, then freakin change the culture of this team. Its time to start fresh, and its time to have guys here who want to play as a team, not for themselves!!! Once again i understand what your saying though.

Look at the bottom of the one article on bengals.com the one for players comments. At the very bottom they reached out to Carson yesterday, but declined to comment on anything.

I see what you mean. Good catch. This is worth watching. I don't see how Carson should be upset with Marvin returning. Marvin's been very supportive of CP. Maybe he's waiting to see what happens with Brat before commenting

Exactly - this is the NFL. *Every* year is a team option since contracts (salaries, anyway) aren't guaranteed. Bonuses may be guaranteed in many cases, but obviously not roster bonuses.

Anyway, in this case - as of right now - does anyone know if the Bengals owe Chad more than a cab ride to the airport if they cut him? I'm thinking the answer is 'no'.

Roster bonus I get but that sounds like a crappy deal for the team if they owe him nearly half of his salary if he is not re-signed for the final year.

But on a lighter note I'm still waiting for the answer to the question in this video.

:jerry:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEdjDpSdQtQ

Roster bonus I get but that sounds like a crappy deal for the team if they owe him nearly half of his salary if he is not re-signed for the final year.

My understanding is that roster bonuses are used to protect vets against getting cut during camp. It makes a certain amount of sense, it's basically saying 'if you want me around this year, commit in March, otherwise cut me loose.' Honestly, any decent agent should be using roster bonuses during the last half of a multi-year deal for veterans.

In this case, it's a nice reminder on Mike Brown's desk calendar to toss him on his ass the day before it comes due.

So about coaching the Senior bowl do we really want Staff that may have a feeling there dead men walking? or even trust there opinion since theres a reason there getting fired?

Thats what i dont get about the whole thing. You would think you would want to move faster with this to have things in place for the senior bowl if they are asked. No i guess thats not how this org. works, they will take there good old time lol.

Senior bowl practices are not until two weeks from now, right? There is a window to do this thing. Keep the faith.

Did I just read that? "Keep the faith"? What faith? Are you implying that some of us have faith in our front office to make sound football decisions regarding coaching staff?

Because I don't have that faith. I see an owner who, instead of letting his HC pick his assistants, likes to use those assistant coaching jobs to reward his friends and sycophants for their loyalty and silence.