THE CHANGES THREAD...Marvin to return

combatbengal

Hue probably isn't free to do anything until things are decided in Oakland. With Al Davis who knows?

Yea that is true, but just thought it was weird that they brought it up, guess just friends out for dinner <_<

I question the validity of the story. The Raiders had a home game that week. How would Hue have the time to fly to Cincinnati at all?

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am indifferent about ML staying, in light of the demands he had previously made coming to light. I am more impressed with him playing hardball like that than I thought I would be. Now, was it really hardball? We'll have to wait and see but I think it was.

Which begs the question of what each of us thinks hardball is. (Holding out for a two year contract instead of one?)

ML is employable and would be considered in Miami, Carolina and SF, despite how the press is spinning it.

He's still employable, but not as an NFL head coach. Seriously, imagine any NFL owner trying to sell his own victory starved fanbase on the hiring of Marvin Lewis as head coach. IMHO it would be an even bigger non-starter than hiring some anonymous coordinator or a head coach who had failed previously, but rehabbed his reputation as a coordinator ala Mike Mularkey.

I listened to the conference on the radio and when it was over, a couple of the local guys were pretty critical of the whole thing. I couldn't refute very much of what they were saying either. It seemed that this whole thing was hastily thrown together when contrasted with the day that Marvin was hired in 2003. It was a really good opportunity for the team to win some people back and it didn't come across very good. I would have preferred a press release from the team and a news conference later in the week when they have other changes or could make a better presentation of "the plan". I can understand MB having certain convictions about how they run the operation but I found one thing missing. I would have liked to hear that "even though we believe in our current methods, we are going to honestly evaluate every facet of how we run our organization in an effort be successful, etc..." Unfortunately guys like Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder give Mike ample examples of how throwing money or people at a problem aren't any more effective that how the Bengals do things. Sadly that ignores the blueprints of successful franchises like Indy and NE.

I think there are a fair amount of people willing to give Marvin one more shot. He seems to to get a free pass on most things with the exception of clock management. He also is able to play a little of Robin Hood persona contrasted with Mike Brown as the Sheriff. He is our one hope against the evil so to speak. He gets a fresh start but it is imperative that they win games and then figure out the way to be a consistent competitive team every year. That seems to be what has eluded this franchise all the way back to the day Paul Brown stepped down after the 1975 season.

per Kevin Goheen for the Enquirer

http://cincinnati.co.../marvin-quotes/

After the regular press conference on Tuesday, Marvin Lewis spoke for about another 15 minutes with a small group of reporters. Here are some of his thoughts.

(Feel like end of marathon?) It's been a long couple of days…

(It's been a long 15 months) Yes it has…

(What did you get?) Everybody understanding what's important to me.

(Are they going to act on that understanding?) I feel good about that.

(Will we see the fruits of that?) The only way we'll see the fruits of that is with the record. That's the only way we'll see the fruits of that. That's the only thing that will put people in those seats, the record. It's what you do…

(You said you came to the realization this morning that you wanted to stay. How close were you to thinking otherwise?) I don't know. There's always an intrigue. But, you know, I've been praying about this for a long time to make the right decision. I feel like I did…

(What was No. 1?) I just feel good. I think our football season, the way it played out I think it was a realization of what is important to win in the National Football League. I think as an organization it was a real eye-opening experience…

(Are you satisfied that this organization has a philosophy?) As I said, I feel there is a conviction behind what my vision is that was, I think, confirmed. It was confirmed to me yesterday morning. When maybe, it somewhat shocked me…

(Was it by one person or by many?) No, it was by many…

(Was there a consensus on if you want to discipline the team or an individual that you can do it your way?) There's always been a little bit of concern of the effect and that's kind of been reduced or eliminated. We took great steps in that in 2007 because some of the things are major. Some of the things if I choose to do I can get called on the carpet on. Things I can do internally that's not an issue. But if you're talking about major-major, that's a little more important. We have to be on the same page. I will tell you that Mike has always been supportive in those things but he wants me to look at both sides of it.

(Do you feel like the players feel like you can dole it out?) Oh yeah. I don't think anybody has ever doubted that…

(Fair to characterize any changes as significant?) We don't have to make a major overhaul we have to win more football games by doing things better and more effectively with the people we have. We have to get more effective people and do things more effectively with the people we have in all three phases. We couldn't kick the dog-gone ball to the shear at the end of the year, and that's a problem. There came a time where we allowed a couple of touchdowns on special teams. Defensively we gave up too many explosive plays the first half of the season and through most of the season until the last few weeks. And then offensively we weren't consistent and we didn't score enough points at all. And that's that. We need to be better…

(Did you ever feel any disconnect with any of the organization that you feel better about now?) I don't know. I haven't felt that…

(Mike was adamant about feeling good about the personnel department. I can't see that will change a whole lot…) I've told you guys many times, I've come down here and talked about it during the draft and I've talked about it after the draft but if you look at our players I feel good about the process that we go through in evaluating the players for the draft. Yeah, we don't have 10 other area scouts falling all over each other and that sort of thing but the guys that we have out there and the guys that work part-time for us work their tail off for us during the college season so they cover some ground. They work their tails off and Mike gives them other responsibilities within the organization and so I think to them they're a great credit to how he envisions them because they go above and beyond and they are given more responsibility so I feel good about that process. The thing that I relish about that time of the year is something I am very interested in and I watch 300 kids. I'm going to watch them and as we shape the board I'm going to be a part of it for all three, on offense, defense and special teams. That's important to me because at the end of the day I've got to help Mike decide this or that. Those of us that go through and cross-check all of the guys we do that…

(Do you have ideas on who the changes are going to be in your coaching staff?) I have ideas about what we're going to do, and I think you keep wanting to throw the word "change" in there and we're going to have unfortunately some change and that's going to be a tough thing…

(Are you going to have a new offensive coordinator?) That's kind of private to me…

(That would be a big change?) That would be a huge change…

(You are in a division that has 2 teams that know who they are and have an idea of what they want to do. Are you satisfied now that you're on equal footing with Baltimore and Pittsburgh in that way?) I think that is the thing we're really striving to be on a par with them. I think that there is no question that Mike would say that is important. He's been competing with Pittsburgh for a long time and that's important. But it comes from stability and they've been pretty stable in that. Kevin (Colbert) has been there and obviously with the transition from Bill (Cowher) to Mike (Tomlin). Ozzie was were he was under fire all of the time and all we did was we kept adding players and kept getting good and now you're looked on the way Ozzie is but he's very good at that. I know how it works. That's the function of it out there. I know how both organizations work.

(You feel like this organization can move more swiftly now and evolve quicker?) Mike is not a quick-change person. He's not going to change that way. That's just not his nature. He's very well-thought through, we'll have some evolution.

So listening to espn radio Shefter said the Katie was the one who wanted Marvin back, and said any changes in the next couple weeks will come because of Katie????????? I mean take it for what its worth but thats what Adam is saying. He said Katie wants this org to be able to battle with Pitt and Balt???? Who knows!

I still wouldn't tap her ass,But if this is true gives hope for future.

Why not, you can put the same bag on her head that you wore at games during the season.

Zing!

After the regular press conference on Tuesday, Marvin Lewis spoke for about another 15 minutes with a small group of reporters. Here are some of his thoughts.

(What was No. 1?) I just feel good. I think our football season, the way it played out I think it was a realization of what is important to win in the National Football League. I think as an organization it was a real eye-opening experience…

(Are you satisfied that this organization has a philosophy?) As I said, I feel there is a conviction behind what my vision is that was, I think, confirmed. It was confirmed to me yesterday morning. When maybe, it somewhat shocked me…

Here's the effing problem with Marvin and Mike and their whole cloak and dagger thing. I have an idea of what Marvin means by the above. You all probably have an idea of what Marvin means by the above.

So why the f**k doesn't Marvin just come out and say what he means by the above?

We all have to infer something from his vague, cryptic, generalities, then down the road when someone says, "I thought you said the team was going to be more committed to ball control and the run," Marvin will say hey I never said that, where do you guys get that.

It is just irresponsible. It is a refusal to be accountable by hiding all the time.

What does he mean by the above? That they need to run the ball? That they let Chad evolve into a team-destroying distraction? That they need to change the way they fold the towels?

There you go bringing up theme stuff again.:rolleyes:

I infer that the management team was blinded or dare I say misled on the necessity of adding TO and the supposed un-readiness of Caldwell and Simpson. I will leave Dunlap out only because he was busy learning how to be a pro. And in all seriousness I get what they were trying to do there.

I think Brat would like Carson to be Peyton Manning and he is not. I think simplifying things, playing faster and trying to minimize Carson's mistakes is something that was missing from this team's offensive strategy too. They key is minimizing turnovers. I know Benson had his share but you don't have to throw it 500+ times to win either. Just play to Carson's strengths.

I listened to that live on mike and mike. Ml did say that chad was under contract.

I am hoping that was quasi-gm speak, b/c I can no longer ignore chad (which is the only way I could deal with him as a fan of the team). It was such a blessed relief not having him on the field the last few games, not having to wonder how he would react if he caught the ball or wasn't thrown the ball, and I can't imagine the sweet relief that must have been for palmer. There are zero excuses left for the bengals for having that clown on their team anymore and I can't imagine a "new direction" for this team that includes him. I have to think ml knows this and simply can't say more until chad is waived. But he must be waived. Even mike brown has to see that at this point...

WARNING! WARNING! If you are COB, HoF or ArmyBengal, clicking this link may make your head explode.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. :lol:

Chad even tweeted about his option and coming back. WTF is that?

I don't think it's an "option" year by definition... but Chad is still owed a $2.5 million roster bonus on March 1st. So, even if it's not truly an "option" year, and Chad is still under contract at present... he won't be under contract come March 1st.

I'm curious what he defines as an "option" year, because it's painfully obvious to me that when the organization can either pay said player a smaller amount of money to leave the team OR pay him more money to stay with the team, that is IN FACT an "OPTION" that the organization holds over said player.

People can say what they want, but Chad coming back to this team doesn't help it. His presence here hasn't helped for more than last season and i'm sick of arguing about it. Chad is a b*tch, he isn't concerned about football or this team winning. If you think he is, than you and I have a VERY different view of what dedication and desire to be the best team possible are.

On a side note, I'm given yet more opportunities to say:

F*CK YOU CHAD !!!

I'm not the type to wish ill upon people, but i'm getting close in this regard.

I'm curious what he defines as an "option" year, because it's painfully obvious to me that when the organization can either pay said player a smaller amount of money to leave the team OR pay him more money to stay with the team, that is IN FACT an "OPTION" that the organization holds over said player.

Exactly - this is the NFL. *Every* year is a team option since contracts (salaries, anyway) aren't guaranteed. Bonuses may be guaranteed in many cases, but obviously not roster bonuses.

Anyway, in this case - as of right now - does anyone know if the Bengals owe Chad more than a cab ride to the airport if they cut him? I'm thinking the answer is 'no'.

Specualtion continues. Palmer to return, Brat less certain. Benson and more...

The speculation about Carson Palmers future in Cincinnati ended when Marvin Lewis returned to the team.

I told him [Palmer] yesterday privately that its important to me that I will help him be the player that I know he is and I believe in him and hes important to me, Lewis said on Tuesday.

The Bengals have to think about drafting a quarterback to develop behind Palmer. Considering Palmers salary, it seems unlikely they would use their No. 4 overall pick to do so. We agree that the Bengals had bigger problems than Palmer this year and he could still win with the right pieces around him.

Those pieces will be changing in 2011. Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer writes that Cedric Benson wont be returning if offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski is back. Its unclear if the Bengals will make a change at offensive coordinator.

There is a time for change and I think now is a pretty good time, Benson said.

We suspect Benson is done no matter who is calling plays for the Bengals. Weve already passed along word Chad Ochocinco is unlikely to be back. The same goes for Terrell Owens.

There's another sentence over there, but here's the link:
/>http://profootballta...s-less-certain/

It's not like Marvin is going to come out and say what he wanted and throw Mike Brown under the bus. We even know the changes that are needed. Brat, T.O., and Ced look to be gone. Hopefully Chad will be as well. Then we're good. They keep all kinds of secrets and I think it drives Paul Daugherty nuts.

Here's the effing problem with Marvin and Mike and their whole cloak and dagger thing. I have an idea of what Marvin means by the above. You all probably have an idea of what Marvin means by the above.

So why the f**k doesn't Marvin just come out and say what he means by the above?

We all have to infer something from his vague, cryptic, generalities, then down the road when someone says, "I thought you said the team was going to be more committed to ball control and the run," Marvin will say hey I never said that, where do you guys get that.

It is just irresponsible. It is a refusal to be accountable by hiding all the time.

What does he mean by the above? That they need to run the ball? That they let Chad evolve into a team-destroying distraction? That they need to change the way they fold the towels?

Totally agree.

He double-talks his way around every point and only directly answer a few items.