Jerome Bettis Comments

GoBengals!

Is it just me, or does anyone else get annoyed with this guy's comments about the Bengals.

/>http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jerome_bettis/10/13/week.5/index.html?eref=sihp

Throughout the 2009 season, SI.com's Adam Duerson will work with Jerome Bettis to get the six-time Pro Bowl running back's observations about the previous week's games. Bettis retired from the NFL in 2006 after a 13-year career.

• After 10 years playing in their division as a Steeler, I'll say this: I barely recognize these Bengals. I am so used to seeing the Bungles -- the guys who, in the last quarter of games, always found a way to lose. In the locker room and on the field, no matter what situation we were in, we always knew they'd find a way to blow it. We almost didn't worry about them; we knew they'd hand us the game no matter how well they played for the first three quarters. Most of those years we just laughed about the Bengals. Put pressure on them and they'll fall apart, we said.

But this team is the total opposite. They find freakish ways to win. And to see Carson Palmer's resurgence after his knee injury at the hands of my team... I think back to that playoff game in 2005 and it was precisely what we expected from the Bengals. Even in a year when they were good -- and remember that they came into Pittsburgh and beat us that year -- they still managed to have something bizarre happen. We always knew that would happen every time with them. They had buzzard's luck.

Now it's a totally different mindset in Cincinnati and you have to credit a lot of that to Marvin Lewis. He's taken his team into the fourth quarter and consistently won, against all odds. These are just things we always knew, in Pittsburgh, that the Bengals couldn't do late. This is a new franchise.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jerome_bettis/10/13/week.5/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0TvEVkdLs

Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Is he wrong ?? Maybe we don't like hearing some of that crap or being reminded of Carson's injury in that playoff game, but it is what it is.

What I do like hearing from him is this: "THIS IS A NEW FRANCHISE". If the team continues to buy into that and stays focused, they will continue to do well.

Is it just me, or does anyone else get annoyed with this guy's comments about the Bengals.

/>http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jerome_bettis/10/13/week.5/index.html?eref=sihp

Throughout the 2009 season, SI.com's Adam Duerson will work with Jerome Bettis to get the six-time Pro Bowl running back's observations about the previous week's games. Bettis retired from the NFL in 2006 after a 13-year career.

• After 10 years playing in their division as a Steeler, I'll say this: I barely recognize these Bengals. I am so used to seeing the Bungles -- the guys who, in the last quarter of games, always found a way to lose. In the locker room and on the field, no matter what situation we were in, we always knew they'd find a way to blow it. We almost didn't worry about them; we knew they'd hand us the game no matter how well they played for the first three quarters. Most of those years we just laughed about the Bengals. Put pressure on them and they'll fall apart, we said.

But this team is the total opposite. They find freakish ways to win. And to see Carson Palmer's resurgence after his knee injury at the hands of my team... I think back to that playoff game in 2005 and it was precisely what we expected from the Bengals. Even in a year when they were good -- and remember that they came into Pittsburgh and beat us that year -- they still managed to have something bizarre happen. We always knew that would happen every time with them. They had buzzard's luck.

Now it's a totally different mindset in Cincinnati and you have to credit a lot of that to Marvin Lewis. He's taken his team into the fourth quarter and consistently won, against all odds. These are just things we always knew, in Pittsburgh, that the Bengals couldn't do late. This is a new franchise.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jerome_bettis/10/13/week.5/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0TvEVkdLs

Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Those are annoying comments because they're true. The Bengals used to fold at the slightest bit of adversity. They aren't doing that this year. Everyone here knows what Bettis said is true.

Referring to that 2005 playoff game like he did - "we knew something bizarre would happen" is certainly accurate if by that he means our-placing-a-bounty-on-carson-and-taking-him-out-with-a-cheap-hit is "bizarre"...

I agree that the comments are pretty accurate. That said, I sense we're beginning to be able to see the fear in the eyes of our division foes because they know we're never out of a game. I kinda felt the beginning of that during the Squeelers game when they kept showing Roeth and Ward on that final drive and they almost looked like they knew we were going to score and win the game. Payback's a mutha.

Well I guess if I was playing for the Steelers (don't worry, I wouldn't anyway) I'd be laughing at the Bengals too for how bad they were doing. Jerome is right. We are a new franchise and we should be taken seriously by anyone we play. The Bengals are no longer the laughing stock of the NFL. And for teams who still think so, look out! :bengal:

WhoDey!!! :cheers:

Well I guess if I was playing for the Steelers (don't worry, I wouldn't anyway) I'd be laughing at the Bengals too for how bad they were doing. Jerome is right. We are a new franchise and we should be taken seriously by anyone we play. The Bengals are no longer the laughing stock of the NFL. And for teams who still think so, look out! :bengal:

I loved watching the NFL network recap of the game this morning and having to watch Billick's expression explaining how the Bengals rocked the Ravens. What's been great for me, too, is how many people are saying the game wasn't as close as the score showed.

That being said, when you have one winning season in 20 years, a lot of those comments are true. It's just an angry fan base that is tired of hearing it -- which explains us going nuts when we beat the Steelers. Get used to it babies, we're back (or there for the first time . . . )

Look, while it might upset me thinking about how bad this team has been for so long and for how happy I am about how good this "team" is doing to this point in the season, I'm not about to go off about teams actually being "afraid" of the Bengals. Lets keep things in perspective here. While this team is 4-1, there's no denying it could be far worse and would we still be feeling the same ?? I'm thinking no and the "Woe is us" attitude would still be very alive.

Don't get me wrong, I think the team is doing great, I'm overf*ckingjoyed with their effort to this point, and think they have a good chance of doing something this year. I also think the team has turned the corner in regards to playing like a team and handling some success. I think this team will actually maintain that for longer than this season as well, by the looks of the players and coaches we currently have.

Anyway...

I agree that the comments are pretty accurate.

Absolutely. But it was interesting (to me, anyhow) to read Bettis confirm what so many of us have always suspected, that other teams had no respect for the Bengals, and that the core strategy for success was just to let the "Bungles" lose the game.

It's just an angry fan base that is tired of hearing it --

Boy, that got to the heart of the matter. That describes me exactly. I f**king HATE having to listen to any of those studio jackasses laugh at and insult the Bengals.

The truth hurts. That's why I hate listening to those guys. And that's why it's killing some of them to admit the Bengals have turned a corner.

Just a side note, Cowher irked me to no end when he did the who dey, we dey, thing. But in his announcing duties, I have almost seen a pro-Bengals attitude with him. Like last year he would shake his head at some of the things that happened to us, but he never seemed to enjoy it. I think he always got along well with Marvin, and that influenced him. He also went out of his way at the end of last year to predict we'd be good this year.

Also, in regards to Jerome Bettis' comments, it reminded me of the Bengals-Steelers broadcast. The announcer said he'd been on the field with Tomlinson before the game. And Tomlinson had said we're going to make some big plays here today. The talking head asked him why he thought that. Tomlinson just said, we always make big plays here. And the announcer waxed poetically about how confident Tomlinson appeared when he said it. It really pissed me off, the entitlement he seemed to feel.

I felt better a few hours later.

I hate to say this, but I have to give Bettis his props. His words do hurt

but they were true. I remember watching the Bengals outplay many teams and

not put them away. Suddenly, the game gets close and late in the game the

Bengals would fall behind and could not recover (2006 vs Chargers). After the

week 1 disaster against the Broncos, the old Bemgals would have gotten into

a funk and would likely be 0-5 or 1-4.

This is a new mindset and a new team. For example, last

week Ray Cinco-Ocho was on Jim Rome and was asked why he was playing

with the injury. Ray's responded wirg a Navy SEAL slogan "Not dead, can't

quit."

I am pleased with the effort thus far. I truly believe Vicki was looking down

on the team last week and helped them when needed (Flacco's overthrow of Clayton).

This team has the chance to do something special, but they need to focus on 1 game at a time.

The Bengals just need to be the best team on the field each week and not try to

be the best in the league.

RIP Vicki Zimmer. Best wishes to the friends and family of Vicki and Mike Zimmer.

Referring to that 2005 playoff game like he did - "we knew something bizarre would happen" is certainly accurate if by that he means our-placing-a-bounty-on-carson-and-taking-him-out-with-a-cheap-hit is "bizarre"...

Is it just membengal and myself that find this comment redikulus! The other comments are his opinions of the Bengals but to say that in that playoff game, "something bizarre would happen", give me a break you fat f**kin retard, you guys went after his knee early in order to win b/c you knew you couldn't beat us staight up!

Not to be a buzz kill but the Jets were 8 and 3 and the Broncos were 9-3 last year and they both missed the playoffs. Just saying, we need to remain grounded

Not to be a buzz kill but the Jets were 8 and 3 and the Broncos were 9-3 last year and they both missed the playoffs. Just saying, we need to remain grounded

Yeah I agree - not ready to call them a "new franchise" yet, after a few big 3 point wins and having to go as deep into overtime as you can against Cleveland.

I think this team can beat anyone in the league though, unlike 2005, strangely enough, where I didn't really have any confidence in them going very far in the playoffs, after tanking it at the end of that season. Let's hope the same thing doesn't happen again.

Week-to-week with this team, they could really use a double digit victory to gain some confidence, and that will come when they stop making so many mental errors during games, and hopefully the new snapper helps.

Yeah I agree - not ready to call them a "new franchise" yet, after a few big 3 point wins and having to go as deep into overtime as you can against Cleveland.

I think this team can beat anyone in the league though, unlike 2005, strangely enough, where I didn't really have any confidence in them going very far in the playoffs, after tanking it at the end of that season. Let's hope the same thing doesn't happen again.

Week-to-week with this team, they could really use a double digit victory to gain some confidence, and that will come when they stop making so many mental errors during games, and hopefully the new snapper helps.

Agreed, there's still a ton of football left, but there is no reason we can't keep drinkin the orange crush!!! I am a fan through think n thin, let me enjoy it!!!

Agreed, there's still a ton of football left, but there is no reason we can't keep drinkin the orange crush!!! I am a fan through think n thin, let me enjoy it!!!

Sorry, "Orange Crush" has and always will be associated with the Denver Broncos of the not to distant past.

Agreed they cannot be afraid to be good, stop making the mental errors and just play your game.

I'm aware. Agreed %100. Bengals need to stay focused and not get cocky and just take one game at a time.