Bengals at Patriots: 2009 Pre-season Game 2

membengal

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shula what did Rey do just hit knees with someone or was it his hamstring again.

They showed Maualuga on the sidelines laying on his back while trainers were inspecting his knee (it looked to me like they were checking his knee... not his hamstring). They went back to the game for a play, and when the camera came back to Maualuga, he was sitting on the bench, apparently fine. I'm guessing it's no big deal.

When the trainers were asked about it later on, they simply said he was fine.

I will give credit where it is due. The team played great overall. But even though Fredo is still Fredo, I was impressed as heck at his kicking efforts.

Not only that but today he fought for the extra yards again...It's very nice to see

Yes he did. I have to credit that as well.

And I'm starting to like this Cook guy we got at center. Heard his interview and he sounds quite intelligent.

I'm so glad MB had a soft spot for Henry.. Henry is an absolute stud. This trio of Coles, OchoCinco, and Henry is unbelievable. If the o-line would gel and protect the damn QB, we'll be in great shape.

Chad could've nailed it from at least 20 yards.

Rivers looks really good. This defense is really on point. Geathers, Odom, M. Johnson, Sims, Tank, and Peko are gonna reak havoc this season. M. Johnson is a freak.

I stayed up to watch the replay and stayed away from the scores throughout, so that was fun.

This is what I saw:

Yeah JT's numbers were good, but was it just me or did he just look confident and moreso, CALM in the pocket ?? He seemed very comfortable sitting in there picking his places. His performance last night against some very solid Patriot first teamers made me fell very good aboout him backing Carson. Maybe it's our system, but JT just looked like he knew what was going on and was even able to get outside the pocket at times to try to make something happen.

I see some not impressed with the pass protection and while they could do better and I don't like the 4 sacks, I was pretty happy and someone had to be giving JT the time to put up the numbers he did. Color me impressed for the most part and if you didn't catch Cook's interview on the sideline, go back and watch it. I thought he came off as a pretty intelligent dude and VERY focused. I loved how he threw in the remark about "showing the fans" and proving it to them. As for picking up the blitz, that's hard to do when they throw more than you have blocking at you. There were some plays they looked good and others not so much. I'm not real concerned. Anyone else catch the fact Roland was playing LT and pancaking jokers out there ?? That's a big boy !!!

While Benson did have some difficulties running the ball, there were times he made a move that just left people hanging or grasping at someone who wasn't there. He had some very nice side steps and looked to be making all efforts to continue the forward motion by falling forward with an extra effort. He also looked comfortable with the screen plays as well. We will be cutting a very solid RB before it's all said and done.

The pass rush was very good and they looked like Zimmer has really been pushing hard for them to improve in this area. It also can't be forgotten the injuries we had last year along the d-line and the fact Sims was a rookie last year. Speaking of Sims, WOW, big boy was sideline to sidline on plays last night and has obviously been working on his play. He brought it last night. Loved seeing Rucker plant the QB in the endzone.

Who didn't LOVE seeing Rey out there getting his shots ?? I am so happy we got him in the 2nd round and still cant' hardly believe it. From what I saw, he did look a little gassed towards the end and missed badly on a couple tackles, but that's to be expected in my opinion coming off an injury and getting his first reps in a game. Loved seeing him out there.

Michael Johnson is getting so many reps it's crazy. This is the 2nd game in a row he's gotten reps through the whole game and even on teams play. If there was one person that deserves to take a breather, it's him. He has all but shattered the stigma pre-draft of him being a little lazy. I just haven't seen it in his play and he is always putting pressure or getting his hands in the air to at least try to disrupt things. Another GREAT PICK !!!

Overall, it's hard to come away from that game and be disatisfied. You can see things they can continue to work on, but the score shouldn't have been that close and it was a VERY solid all around outing against another team that is a playoff contender.

I stayed up to watch the replay and stayed away from the scores throughout, so that was fun.

This is what I saw:

Yeah JT's numbers were good, but was it just me or did he just look confident and moreso, CALM in the pocket ?? He seemed very comfortable sitting in there picking his places. His performance last night against some very solid Patriot first teamers made me fell very good aboout him backing Carson. Maybe it's our system, but JT just looked like he knew what was going on and was even able to get outside the pocket at times to try to make something happen.

I see some not impressed with the pass protection and while they could do better and I don't like the 4 sacks, I was pretty happy and someone had to be giving JT the time to put up the numbers he did. Color me impressed for the most part and if you didn't catch Cook's interview on the sideline, go back and watch it. I thought he came off as a pretty intelligent dude and VERY focused. I loved how he threw in the remark about "showing the fans" and proving it to them. As for picking up the blitz, that's hard to do when they throw more than you have blocking at you. There were some plays they looked good and others not so much. I'm not real concerned. Anyone else catch the fact Roland was playing LT and pancaking jokers out there ?? That's a big boy !!!

While Benson did have some difficulties running the ball, there were times he made a move that just left people hanging or grasping at someone who wasn't there. He had some very nice side steps and looked to be making all efforts to continue the forward motion by falling forward with an extra effort. He also looked comfortable with the screen plays as well. We will be cutting a very solid RB before it's all said and done.

The pass rush was very good and they looked like Zimmer has really been pushing hard for them to improve in this area. It also can't be forgotten the injuries we had last year along the d-line and the fact Sims was a rookie last year. Speaking of Sims, WOW, big boy was sideline to sidline on plays last night and has obviously been working on his play. He brought it last night. Loved seeing Rucker plant the QB in the endzone.

Who didn't LOVE seeing Rey out there getting his shots ?? I am so happy we got him in the 2nd round and still cant' hardly believe it. From what I saw, he did look a little gassed towards the end and missed badly on a couple tackles, but that's to be expected in my opinion coming off an injury and getting his first reps in a game. Loved seeing him out there.

Michael Johnson is getting so many reps it's crazy. This is the 2nd game in a row he's gotten reps through the whole game and even on teams play. If there was one person that deserves to take a breather, it's him. He has all but shattered the stigma pre-draft of him being a little lazy. I just haven't seen it in his play and he is always putting pressure or getting his hands in the air to at least try to disrupt things. Another GREAT PICK !!!

Overall, it's hard to come away from that game and be disatisfied. You can see things they can continue to work on, but the score shouldn't have been that close and it was a VERY solid all around outing against another team that is a playoff contender.

Agree with you 100 percent. The pass protection will come. The running blocks will come. They just really need to stop with the stupid penalties. I can almost excuse Simpson and Caldwell's offensive pass interference penalties, however, because it shows me they were hustling for a spot. Very good effort all around last night. Much better than game one.

The penalties were definitely an area that irritated me, especially with it being an issue last week and it being addressed by Marvin.

Simpson's pass interference was there, but good God what an amazing catch. It would be nice if he could put it all together sooner rather than later...

I guess I saw a few more mistakes than most last night. The sloppiness of penalties, inability to run the ball consistently, 4 sacks, and wasteful timeouts still continue to haunt the offense. Yeah I know Carson wasn't playing and they were going against one of the better defenses in the league, but a lot of it still seems to be lack of attention to detail which is coaching. Not blaming any particular coach, nor am I calling for anyone's head but man can they clean up some of this stuff? Liked most of what I saw from the D. Good pressure on the QB, but still some plays where they had all day to throw. If that was Brady in for the whole game NE has two or three more TD's. Still preseason I guess so there is time to iron things out a bit.

I saw those mistakes as well and yes, they do irritate you as a fan while watching.

I think my point to many of those things is, they seem to be of the smaller variety of problems that can be fixed prior to week #1.

It's preseason for the coaches as well and hopefully some of those issues don't carry over and they fix what they have to for themselves.

I saw those mistakes as well and yes, they do irritate you as a fan while watching.

I think my point to many of those things is, they seem to be of the smaller variety of problems that can be fixed prior to week #1.

It's preseason for the coaches as well and hopefully some of those issues don't carry over and they fix what they have to for themselves.

4 sacks is too many... but at the same time, it looks a lot different than last year. On a few of those sacks, it was a blitz that didn't get picked up. But JT had more than enough time on the vast majority of the game. Last year there was constant pressure, even on plays where sacks didn't occur. There's room for improvement... but it's already lightyears from where they were last year at this time.

I got used to seeing the Bengals QB running around trying to buy a few seconds for the play to develop. Even if it's only preseason, it was nice to see a role reversal last night.

It's preseason, so just like I didn't get to down last week I'm not getting to up this week. I think this could be the best defense the Bengals have ever had. They hit, they have guys that are mean, and when have we had that? If the o-line can gell as the season goes along. Smith signing should help down the road. I fell like we're going to make a run. The held Brady to a field goal, got a sack, and stopped the run. Good enough!

4 sacks is too many... but at the same time, it looks a lot different than last year. On a few of those sacks, it was a blitz that didn't get picked up. But JT had more than enough time on the vast majority of the game. Last year there was constant pressure, even on plays where sacks didn't occur. There's room for improvement... but it's already lightyears from where they were last year at this time.

I got used to seeing the Bengals QB running around trying to buy a few seconds for the play to develop. Even if it's only preseason, it was nice to see a role reversal last night.

I was also really encouraged last week by carson telling bobbie williams he felt like had a 5 yard halo around him. It's one thing for carson to say he has a lot of confidence in the o-line at a press conference (which i imagine he has to say) and it's another for him to pat one of his linemen on the back. Seeing what our D has done against some of the best offenses in the league is really encouraging and the play of cook makes me really hopeful for the season. Hopefully the line continues to mesh and here's to hoping smith gets signed by . . . Monday???

And the Offical Random Post of the Week Award goes to...

Totally off topic, but my buddy asked Erin Andrews out at a Michigan game last name and she totally spurned him. She was like...."Aw your cute" hahahaha Her camera man was like....Don't worry you don't want to deal with that girl anyways

Starting off the post with "Totally off topic..." does not preclude an entry from consideration.

And the Offical Random Post of the Week Award goes to...

Totally off topic, but my buddy asked Erin Andrews out at a Michigan game last name and she totally spurned him. She was like...."Aw your cute" hahahaha Her camera man was like....Don't worry you don't want to deal with that girl anyways

Starting off the post with "Totally off topic..." does not preclude an entry from consideration.

yeah. I mean i think if that guy hadn't asked her out we probably would have only allowed 2.5 sacks last night.

85-C.Ochocinco extra point is GOOD, Center-48-B.St. Louis, Holder-10-K.Huber.

Uh...come again?

Yup. Shayne has a sore va-jay-jay.

And Chad has found a new way to get himself on TV more ;)

Just imagine how happy Hair will be at that notion! :lol:

I think the announcers said it best by pointing out how hard he'll be to live with now. :huh:

But no, that moment was golden, and very clearly in Chad's favor. Furthermore.....his image makeover this season has been impressive. Better than I could have hoped for, and no doubt partially due to the Hard Knocks coverage.

Bottom Line: I've always liked Chad, and as it turns out I love me some Estaban, but no....I still have absolutely no affection for whoever OR whatever the hell Ocho Dinko is supposed to be.