Marvin Finally Responds

HairOnFire

Marvin Lewis was just interviewed on the NFL Network program Total Access.

Here are the highlights...

Question - Can the relationship be reconciled?

ML - Well, there really is no differences because if Chad wants an opportunity to play professional football this is his opportunity right now, to play in Cincinnati.

Despite his feelings and whatever he might say...I guess when he comes on your show...he really doesn't have a choice in the matter. He signed a contract which is a very long term contract. He's been very well compensated since 2003...being two different contracts since then.

He's got an opportunity to play professional football here or do as he says he has thought about doing, which is to sit out. Which is fine.

Our football team will move on and be ready to go...as if somebody were injured.

Question - Solomon Wilcotts mentions all of the teams Chad has expressed an interest in playing for...

ML - (Smiling) He's thinking for himself. That's called tampering. He's tampering with himself.(Laughs)

Question - Chad Johnson has been doing all the talking....

ML - (Interupts) Well, that's usual.

Question - Would you listen to other teams?

ML - No. We're not going to trade Chad. (Rambles a little) I've made it clear. Our owner has made it clear. If he wants to play professional football he has to do it right here, in Cincinnati.

Question - Where did Chad get the idea he's unappreciated?

ML - I don't know. I can't take the heat from both sides. People say I don't do a very good job and I enable Chad...so I can't be on one side with Chad or another. I coach Chad and I love him as a player and I love Chad as a person. And I want the best things for Chad as a person.

Question - When was the last time you spoke to Chad?

ML - I spoke to him, I don't know....a little more than a week ago in person, and I've spoken to him in other ways since then. And that's all I've said to him.

Question - What exactly is the issue?

ML - There really isn't one. (Repeats rant about Chad having only one oportunity to play professional football) Chad has an opportunity to get on the positive and get things right, and if the things he indeed says and tells people that I hear and read...about going to the playoffs and winning a playoff game, well they're right in line with our playoff goals. So do your part, put the team on your back, and go to work.

Interview ends/ Hair pops open a beer

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..well they're right in line with our playoff goals. So do your part, put the team on your back, and go to work.

Been saying it forever.

Exactly. Don't disappear for a fourth of the season (2006). Or when you might have been blanketed in a game or been overlooked for a quarter.

Learn how to block downfield, don't duck out of bounds and don't sit on your ass after you fumble near the goalline. In other words grow a set.

I see ML has chosen principles vs practical, a game of career and season chicken versus taking out the trash.

I respect exactly what ML is saying. It is an issue that will fester and be a distraction for the team from now on. CJ will not play for the Bengals this season, mark my prediction. If they stick to their guns, both sides, CJ will sit and the team will be forced to take a WR way earlier than they may have wanted.

It is sad, as a motivated CJ can get the job done. It is also sad, since the tem will now hold the line and avoid doing what is really best for the team, which is to dump CJ and get a much value a they can.

Hats off to ML for taking the hard line. f**k Chad for being a total prima donna whinging female.

In the end, the fans lose. what a waste.

Learn how to block downfield, don't duck out of bounds and don't sit on your ass after you fumble near the goalline. In other words grow a set.

I just watched the first quarter of the NFL Replay of last seasons week 3 matchup between Seattle and Cincinnati. Not suprisingly I focused more attention in Chad's direction than I normally would.

On each of the first three Bengal rushing attempts Rudi Johnson is blown up while still in the backfield, and always by the same player, Seattle CB, Marcus Trufant. On the first play Chad doesn't even move or extend his arms. He just looks backward and watches as Trufant hits Rudi three yards behind the LOS. The second example isn't much different, but Chad does put his arms out...so there's that. And on the third attempt Chad moves slowly towards Trufant and after letting him safely pass he weakly pushes him in the back.

So I guess you could say Chad's blocking improved as the game progressed. <_<

Is it just me or does when Marvin gives an interview , he's not speaking English?? You almost habve to decode everything...

I try to transcribe things accurately, but nothing beats seeing the interview. Only then can you judge a persons expression, hear the inflection in their voice, etc.

For example, IMHO Marvin looked very uncomfortable at the start of the interview, and it's fair to say he no longer seems like the always smiling supremely confident coach who arrived in Cincy years ago. However, I thought he did a fine job of walking a fine line between being firm & cautious, as well as moving quickly from mocking Chad's behavior to being complimentary of his skills as a player and his fondness for him as a person.

Bottom Line: He delivered a firm message but left the door open for Chad to return if he gets his mind right. And quite frankly that's probably more than I would have done had I been in his shoes.

Well, it impacts the draft - if he sits out, you need a receiver, right?

It is nonsense from the point of view that we shouldn't have to deal with this problem, but since we do have to adjust our planning, it has to be treated as reality, not nonsense.....

We were going to be drafting a wide receiver in the first place. Chad was a 2nd round pick. T.J. a 7th, there's no first round pick on this roster and hasn't been since....???

Tim McGee ??

* There are plenty enough wide receivers in this year's draft that could develop into solid starters for years to come. The hope has always been to find guys no matter what round that turn out to be Hall of Famers!

So Yes, dealing with is Nonsense. If Chad sits out, he ain't hurting me. He's only hurting his wallet. He's not hurting the team, the team will move on. Henry and T.J. will be our starters, and the draft and training camp will determine the rest. - Perhaps the lack of Chad forces us to run the ball more??

* Hell this could be a good thing ! :lol:

I see ML has chosen principles vs practical, a game of career and season chicken versus taking out the trash.

I respect exactly what ML is saying. It is an issue that will fester and be a distraction for the team from now on. CJ will not play for the Bengals this season, mark my prediction. If they stick to their guns, both sides, CJ will sit and the team will be forced to take a WR way earlier than they may have wanted.

It is sad, as a motivated CJ can get the job done. It is also sad, since the tem will now hold the line and avoid doing what is really best for the team, which is to dump CJ and get a much value a they can.

Hats off to ML for taking the hard line. f**k Chad for being a total prima donna whinging female.

In the end, the fans lose. what a waste.

Damn, it does look like they are calling his bluff. What's more important, winning the contract law contest , or winning football games? Like Kingwilly said above, principles or practical.

Mike Brown needs to pull his head out of his ass and get something for our prom queen while he still can. Memo to Chad: If you want to convince the Bengals that you'll never play for them again, sell your condo in Cincinnati. Relocate any stray kids and baby mommas you have in the area. Cut all ties. Actions speak louder than your retarded, contradictory words.

It's all about $?

From ESPN:

"I can't force them to trade me. … I'm just trying to let them know I'm not happy," Johnson told ESPN's Stuart Scott on Monday. "We're fooling ourselves not doing things we need to do to compete with the Indy's, the Jacksonville's, Dallas. How do you let Shaun Rogers get away? That helps your run defense. Our defense gives us a chance to win. I'm frustrated. I'm feeling like our fans felt 10 or 11 years before I got here and now we're going backward … not forward. We finished 11-5, 8-8, 7-9 … what are we gonna be this season coming up?"

It's all about $?

From ESPN:

"I can't force them to trade me. … I'm just trying to let them know I'm not happy," Johnson told ESPN's Stuart Scott on Monday. "We're fooling ourselves not doing things we need to do to compete with the Indy's, the Jacksonville's, Dallas. How do you let Shaun Rogers get away? That helps your run defense. Our defense gives us a chance to win. I'm frustrated. I'm feeling like our fans felt 10 or 11 years before I got here and now we're going backward … not forward. We finished 11-5, 8-8, 7-9 … what are we gonna be this season coming up?"

I saw that quote on ESPN this morning. Unfortunately, that is how alot of fans feel and this quote may be the most sensible thing Chad has said since...well, ever.

Thanks for the link, B24.

Struck me as "nothing new here." We're not trading Chad, Chad will be a Bengal, there is no issue, yadda yadda yadda.

Would have been nice if Eisen or someone had asked a football question while the had the head coach on camera...wouldnt want to do that, tho. :rolleyes:

It's all about $?

From ESPN:

Hard to argue with Chad on most of that... But if you are going to bitch about the defense, how about making a few more catches and not dropping TDs or setting on your ass after you fumble?? :blush:

It's all about $?

From ESPN:

I saw that quote on ESPN this morning. Unfortunately, that is how alot of fans feel and this quote may be the most sensible thing Chad has said since...well, ever.

so the truth is revealed...Chad has no confidence in the D. Join the freaking club.

On one hand, the bitterness is understandable. The resulting tirades and media-whoring are just an extension of who CJ is. Perhaps his total disgust has prevented him from fully understanding why Rodgers "got away"? No matter how "justifiable", it is inexcusable for it to be done in public. I hold Mr. Brown responsible for not having a strong enough FO or press strategy to snuff this out (might be asking too much).

This strikes me a a guy who is making progress in therapy, but for all of the public to see. Next, we'll get to his father-less childhood and the resulting slef-esteem issues he has had to work through. In the end, we will see a reformed and mature CJ going to SB's for Dallas or San Diego.

He's worried about Jacksonville and Dallas and the like but to date neither of them have done anything when it's important. I am more worried about the Browns and the Steelers at this point.

I think the acquisition of Utecht will allow the Bengals to shift the short passing game in his direction while giving them the opportunity to use TJ to stretch the field more. Plus I can only hope (and pray) that an entire training camp will benefit Chris Henry this year.

Also, in one of the last articles I read it said the team takes the $8M cap hit, "if Chad is traded or released prior to June 1". I could see a scenario where the team trades him before training camp when the hit is much less. Perhaps for a player or maybe for a draft pick or two next year. If things don't improve considerably, I could see the team eliminating this distraction and moving him when the hit is more bearable.

He's worried about Jacksonville and Dallas and the like but to date neither of them have done anything when it's important. I am more worried about the Browns and the Steelers at this point.

I think the acquisition of Utecht will allow the Bengals to shift the short passing game in his direction while giving them the opportunity to use TJ to stretch the field more. Plus I can only hope (and pray) that an entire training camp will benefit Chris Henry this year.

Also, in one of the last articles I read it said the team takes the $8M cap hit, "if Chad is traded or released prior to June 1". I could see a scenario where the team trades him before training camp when the hit is much less. Perhaps for a player or maybe for a draft pick or two next year. If things don't improve considerably, I could see the team eliminating this distraction and moving him when the hit is more bearable.

Even if they trade him after June 1st they still take an $8m cap hit, it just gets spread over 2 years instead of it all going on this year.

Even if they trade him after June 1st they still take an $8m cap hit, it just gets spread over 2 years instead of it all going on this year.

Marvin has commented, REPEATEDLY, that there will be NO TRADE of Chad Johnson and people still talk about a trade. WHY?