mild concussion

fractured nose

fractured facial bones

head lacerations

lost 2 teeth

chipped several other teeth

no evidence of any structural damage to either knees

no brain injuries

Will be released from hospital in 3-5 days.

Ouch. I think BengalByTheBay had it right...find drip button, press, repeat. Good news so far is no sign of brain injuries outside the mild concussion. The whole mouth/nose/jaw thing is a nightmare, tho. He's sucking food through a straw for a few weeks, and he sure isn't taking many reps in camp. His conditioning will be way behind, and that's probably the least of his problems.

I don't care what happy juice Ed Bouchette is pumping out over at the PG, I see Batch starting at least one and maybe more games to kick off the season.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they are dealing with the accident first, then all other issues will be taken care off, namely big ben's ticket for driving without a helmet and without a license. he most likely will get ticketed for both.

Metal was twisted like licorice. Windshield glass shattered. Blood pooled on the pavement.

And somewhere in the distance a dog howled a plaintive wail, a cheating wife slipped off a nightgown more sheer than an excuse, and in a seedy bar at the end of lonely street I reached for another 16 ounces of liquid courage. Yeah, there are a million stories of desperation in the steel city, and all of them are written so badly that Hemingway, dead as he might be, is still throwing up a little bit in his own mouth. So I say mop up the blood and sweep up the teeth and move on with it...'cause chicks dig scars, and that kid was too dumb to learn anything even before he bounced his empty mellon off the curb.

[Fade to Black & Gold]

I really still hope this makes Stiller faithful think long and hard before mocking the injury of your rivals All-Pro QB, or any player for that matter. There's not a better bunch of pricks that this could have happened to than them.

Metal was twisted like licorice. Windshield glass shattered. Blood pooled on the pavement.

And somewhere in the distance a dog howled a plaintive wail, a cheating wife slipped off a nightgown more sheer than an excuse, and in a seedy bar at the end of lonely street I reached for another 16 ounces of liquid courage. Yeah, there are a million stories of desperation in the steel city, and all of them are written so badly that Hemingway, dead as he might be, is still throwing up a little bit in his own mouth. So I say mop up the blood and sweep up the teeth and move on with it...'cause chicks dig scars, and that kid was too dumb to learn anything even before he bounced his empty mellon off the curb.

[Fade to Black & Gold]

You've got to quit, you're making my dog jump when I busted out laughing.

I think yesterday was the first day in months that I didn't surf the internet or flip past ESPN. And this is what I miss. A few random thoughts to catch up (sorry for being long-winded):

*I knew a kid who suffered facial fractures from a head-to-face soccer injury. They said that in his condition, a stiffled sneeze would do serious damage. Point is, it might take 7 weeks for a normal person to recover, but that doesn't mean they're ready to be tackled by 300 lb. linemen.

*3 or 4 months ago, who would've thought Carson might have a better chance of starting Week 1?

*I care as much about the Steeler fans as they care about me. Nothing more, nothing less. Do I wish Ben ill will? No, but I won't be sending a get-well card either. I generally only feel sympathy for people I know. I guess this makes me a bad person.

*I want to beat the Steelers at full strength. We heard enough crap about Ben's wrist in last year's game at Heinz Field.

*I feel sorry for the woman driving the car. Remember the lynch mob that was forming for Cowher after the Heinz Field game? (Incidentally, I re-watched the NFL Network coverage of that game recently and was amused to see all those loyal, "one for the thumb", towel-wavers heading for the exits with like 7 minutes left on the clock. I guess they got over that in time for the Super Bowl.)

*I never took physics, but I seem to remember force=weight x speed. So if he weighs 240 lbs. and was going 25 mph (which is probably low), then Ben went face-first into that windshield with 6000 lbs (?) of force. Point is, helmet or not, motorcycles are dangerous.

*Regardless of who was responsible for the accident, it was Ben who failed to live up to the responsibilities of being a franchise player. For all the talk of Henry and Nicholson being innocent until proven guilty, the fact is that we hold our professional athletes to higher standards. When Ben chooses to ride a motorcycle at all, he's placing the faith of his coaches, teammates, and fans in the hands of random, dumb luck. And in this case, a 62 year old woman making a lefthand turn.

*Bradshaw was right. We all make sacrifices for our jobs, families, etc. It's part of being an adult. What was it that Marvin was saying about the social contract? Ben made a mistake and now thousands of people will have to live with the consequences.

I think yesterday was the first day in months that I didn't surf the internet or flip past ESPN. And this is what I miss. A few random thoughts to catch up (sorry for being long-winded):

*I knew a kid who suffered facial fractures from a head-to-face soccer injury. They said that in his condition, a stiffled sneeze would do serious damage. Point is, it might take 7 weeks for a normal person to recover, but that doesn't mean they're ready to be tackled by 300 lb. linemen.

*3 or 4 months ago, who would've thought Carson might have a better chance of starting Week 1?

*I care as much about the Steeler fans as they care about me. Nothing more, nothing less. Do I wish Ben ill will? No, but I won't be sending a get-well card either. I generally only feel sympathy for people I know. I guess this makes me a bad person.

*I want to beat the Steelers at full strength. We heard enough crap about Ben's wrist in last year's game at Heinz Field.

*I feel sorry for the woman driving the car. Remember the lynch mob that was forming for Cowher after the Heinz Field game? (Incidentally, I re-watched the NFL Network coverage of that game recently and was amused to see all those loyal, "one for the thumb", towel-wavers heading for the exits with like 7 minutes left on the clock. I guess they got over that in time for the Super Bowl.)

*I never took physics, but I seem to remember force=weight x speed. So if he weighs 240 lbs. and was going 25 mph (which is probably low), then Ben went face-first into that windshield with 6000 lbs (?) of force. Point is, helmet or not, motorcycles are dangerous.

*Regardless of who was responsible for the accident, it was Ben who failed to live up to the responsibilities of being a franchise player. For all the talk of Henry and Nicholson being innocent until proven guilty, the fact is that we hold our professional athletes to higher standards. When Ben chooses to ride a motorcycle at all, he's placing the faith of his coaches, teammates, and fans in the hands of random, dumb luck. And in this case, a 62 year old woman making a lefthand turn.

*Bradshaw was right. We all make sacrifices for our jobs, families, etc. It's part of being an adult. What was it that Marvin was saying about the social contract? Ben made a mistake and now thousands of people will have to live with the consequences.

When I masterbate over a million sperm pay the consequences.

:sure:

When I masterbate over a million sperm pay the consequences.

:sure:

And when you share too much information about your personal life, our mental images pay the consequences. Yikes. Please, just make sure you lock the door! :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Somewhat interesting tidbit of information (not sure I really even care to this level, but thought someone might find it interesting):

A close friend of mine here in PA is a long time motorcycle owner and driver. Oh, and yes, he insists on wearing his helmet. He is, after all, not stupid. In any case, he was commenting to me about the fact that Ben's 'learners permit' expired in March of this year. He said it doesn't even matter if it had not expired because under PA law, if you are still under the permit or within something like 2 years of just getting your license, you are REQUIRED BY LAW to wear a helmet. Now, I honestly do not know the specifics of PA law in this area, but my bet is that we will eventually find that contrary to what everyone is saying, he was actually performing an illegal act in not wearing a helmet. The point is that PA law is not a blanket 'no helmet required' law. In fact, I think I heard some time back that only 3 such states exist that have such a blanket law. Hmmmm.

If you care.

___________________________________________________________-

Just found this detail about PAs law:

"Pennsylvania's motorcycle helmet use law covers all drivers during the first two years of licensure unless the driver has completed the safety course approved by the department or the Motorcycle Safety Foundation."

So ... basically for him to be legal and not wear a helmet he must have either A ) had his license for 2 years or B ) completed an approved safety course. Let's see, he surely did not have his license for 2 years ... heck, he didn't even have a license at all! Wonder if he has some proof somewhere that he attended some safety course. Yeah, right, sometime between the start of his rookie season and the Super Bowl he spent time on a safety course. Maybe they had one overseas on his little family tree cheese-eating expedition.

But will he be charged or checked for any of this locally. Nah, he's a Steeler ... and the officials all wear black and gold uniforms.

Even if he is charged, it's just a fine, no big deal. I think this falls under the auspices of "he's been punished enough". I mean, what more can they do to him? He broke his face.

At any rate, I am still with joisey on this. Ed Bouchette can write whatever happy horses**t he wants to, it will be weeks before anyone has any idea about when Roeth can realistically play. And he is about to lose some serious weight, with that liquid diet and and all. That is generally NOT the preferred way to get ready for camp...

By Adam Schefter

NFL Analyst

THE IRONY...

Suddenly, the Baltimore Ravens just might have the most stable quarterback situation in the AFC North.

Steve McNair is ready to start with Kyle Boller as his backup. In Pittsburgh, there are questions about Roethlisberger. In Cincinnati there are questions about Carson Palmer. And in Cleveland, the Browns are turning to unproven second-year quarterback Charlie Frye.

When the Ravens have the division's most stable quarterback situation, it tells how you quickly the league can change.

Mr. Schefter must be a Ravens homer. Just because McNair JUST signed in Baltimore, and will most assuredly beat out loser Kyle Blowsller for the starting job does not mean he is ready to start. Has he learned the entire playbook? Is he really all that much healthier than Carson or Ben? I don't THINK SO!

McNair will need just as many games to be at full speed in a new system as Carson will to be fully healthy.

The Ravens QB situation is no more stable than anyone else in the division.

SO, I GUESS SH*TTSBURGH TROLL IS SAYING THAT IF YOU ELECT NOT TO WEAR YOUR SEATBELT AND YOU T-BONE ANOTHER DRIVER AND GET EJECTED OUT OF YOUR CAR AND DIE FROM MASSIVE INJURIES IT IS THE OTHER DRIVER'S FAULT YOU WEREN'T WEARING YOUR SEAT BELT? IN ALL ACTUALITY, YOU COULD'VE ELECTED TO WEAR YOUR SEATBELT AND SUFFER POSSIBLY LESS LIFE-THREATENING INJURIES. HMMMM. POINT IS....YOU HAVE TO BE COMPLETELY AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS DRIVING ANY TYPE OF VEHICLE AND BE WARY OF ALL OTHER DRIVERS AROUND YOU (PEDESTRIANS INCLUDED).

HARD LESSON LEARNED. I HOPE BEN HEALS FAST AND REALIZES THIS MISTAKE NOW THAT IT HAS SLAPPED HIM IN THE FACE. I HAD AN UNCLE DIE THIS SAME WAY. SHOULDA WORN A HELMET AND HE MIGHT HAVE BEEN ABLE TO SEE HIS 2 CHILDREN GROW UP AND PROSPER. HE HAD THE WORLD AT HIS FEET AND NOT ONLY HURT HIMSELF BUT EVERYONE ELSE THAT LOVED AND RESPECTED HIM.

I WONDER WHAT THE SNUG PADDING IS GOING TO FEEL LIKE PRESSING AGAINST HIS FACE, ONCE HE IS ABLE TO WEAR A FOOTBALL HELMET? OH, THE IRONY.

EVEN WHOOPI GOLDBERG IS KEEPING VIGIL..............

20060613ao_fan_vigilPJ_450.jpg

Look for Ben to miss two pre-season games. The third pre-season game he will play and he should be ready to go opening day. He is one lucky dude.

First, I honestly and sincerely hope you are right. Again, only because he is a human being. For some stupid reason I put that above football, even when it comes to the Steelers. Seriously, I hope you are correct. BUT ... I think there is a level of 'fan optimism' there, very much like those who might suggest Carson will be ready in July. The more sensible approach for us to look at Carson is that he will be ready when he is ready. That could be anywhere from Week 1 to Week 5, in my opinion. Do I want better? Absolutely! Are there whispers of better? Yes. Have any doctors said any timeline or whatever ... not that I know of. Same with Ben. The doctors gave a status, but those words have been interpreted by many Steeler media and fans to suggest this is no big deal and he will be easily ready in early August. I would caution that expectation. Be a supreme fan if you like and ignore the fact that the doctors give no such timeline for a good reason ... too many unknowns. I hope you are right, just like I hope some are right about Carson, but my sensible side says to always add another few weeks. These organizations will be overly cautious, and it's a lot easier for complications to arise than to not.

My bet? Ben will *maybe* start Week 1, but I'm betting Week 2 or 3. Let's see.

If I had been born a Steeler fan (and every night for the last 26 years I've thanked God before bed that this isn't the case), these are some of the things I'd be concerned about:

Even if Ben had only broken his lower jaw, it would severly effect his weight and conditioning. This is effectively giving him 2 months to eat through a straw, during 2 very important months for football conditioning.

Ben didn't only break his lower jaw... he broke his upper jaw too, and multiple bones in his face... and desipte the NFL rules protecting QB's, they get hit in the head all the time. There were several hits that Palmer took last year that took his helmet completely off... and he suffered the 2nd fewest sacks in the NFL. Kerry Collins broke his jaw a couple years ago on a hit he took.

With the extensive damage that has been done to Ben's entire face, the combination of his weight and conditioning problems, the fact that 3 months isn't really enough time for all of that to heal completely, and the fact that he will probably be afraid to take a hit for a while, I doubt we'll see him on the football field in the first couple games... and if we do, he probably won't be very effective.

If I had been born a Steeler fan (and every night for the last 26 years I've thanked God before bed that this isn't the case), these are some of the things I'd be concerned about:

Even if Ben had only broken his lower jaw, it would severly effect his weight and conditioning. This is effectively giving him 2 months to eat through a straw, during 2 very important months for football conditioning.

Ben didn't only break his lower jaw... he broke his upper jaw too, and multiple bones in his face... and desipte the NFL rules protecting QB's, they get hit in the head all the time. There were several hits that Palmer took last year that took his helmet completely off... and he suffered the 2nd fewest sacks in the NFL. Kerry Collins broke his jaw a couple years ago on a hit he took.

With the extensive damage that has been done to Ben's entire face, the combination of his weight and conditioning problems, the fact that 3 months isn't really enough time for all of that to heal completely, and the fact that he will probably be afraid to take a hit for a while, I doubt we'll see him on the football field in the first couple games... and if we do, he probably won't be very effective.

Exactly ... and great (common sense) points. Even if things were 'healed' by mid August, how in the world does anyone logically think he will be even remotely close to game shape? Little doubt in my mind that best case scenario is Week 1 or 2. I'm betting on that Week 3 game against our Bengals as his first game back. Talk about fun ... every little touching of Ben will be criticized beyond belief. And don't you think there will be plenty of 'touching'. I can't wait.

It will take a miracle to be ready by the last week of preseason. Just like others have stated, he's gonna lose probably 30 pounds eating out of a straw for two months. Not to mention, he won't be able to participate in anymore offseason activities and most of training camp, leaving him weak, and out of shape.

And we haven't even begun to discuss how bad his injuries really are. Mt brother broke his lower and upper jaw when we were kids riding his bike. Now, he's no pro athlete, but kids tend to heal pretty fast, right. I can't remember how long it took him to recover, but I'm sure it was longer than twleve weeks.

There were several hits that Palmer took last year that took his helmet completely off... and he suffered the 2nd fewest sacks in the NFL. Kerry Collins broke his jaw a couple years ago on a hit he took.

The first thought I had when I first heard about the accident was along the lines of, gee, how many times do you see the QB take a helmet to the chin, or get planted face-first into the turf? Pretty common, right? If I am the Steelers, I'm definitely looking to err on the side of caution. Just like with Carson, the last thing you want to do is rush them back and risk re-injury.

I think what makes this so tough to put any kind of timetable on, at least for kibitzers like all of us, is that there's few standards to judge by. The usual football injuries -- the ACL tears and hammy pulls and seperated shoulders and turf toes and all the rest -- you can at least make an educated guess at. But "face busted all to hell" isn't your typical football injury. We're talking about some pretty significant facial reconstructive surgery here, and whether that can heal up and then hold up to NFL-level pounding, I have absolutely no idea. He could be fine...or he could end up like Michael Jackson, whose nose might fall off if he sneezes too hard.

So, which Brown's player do you think is going to hit him helmet to helmet when they play to try to screw him up?

Good question. Maybe Ted Washington... He'll be eating dirt all season, being too old to play any real football, so maybe he'll get his name in the news by trying that.

I wonder if the Steelers play Denver this season? Warren might still be an asshat.

So, which Brown's player do you think is going to hit him helmet to helmet when they play to try to screw him up?

Good question. Maybe Ted Washington... He'll be eating dirt all season, being too old to play any real football, so maybe he'll get his name in the news by trying that.

I wonder if the Steelers play Denver this season? Warren might still be an asshat.

Where's Romo at when you need a good sucker punch? :boxing:

I doubt we'll see him on the football field in the first couple games... and if we do, he probably won't be very effective.

Sorta like the Super Bowl?

BTW, I feel bad for the old woman involved in the wreck. You just know they're never going to be able to match the paint color on her Chrysler New Yorker.