Big Ben wrecks/gets released/admits his mistake

You walk around this city with ur s**ttynasty bunghole s**t on?
Dude, what language are you "writing"? Beavis and Butthead are more coherent than you.
surprised u havnt gotten run over yet.
So am I, since its exactly the thuggish, classless thing I expect from Steelers fans.
i walk through s**ttynasty with steelers s**t on all the time.
Let me see if I understand you correctly: you walk around, hell I dont' know I assume you mean Pittsburgh, with s**t on your head? You, sir, are clearly insane.

now i can do it wearing a Superbowl XL Champs shirt on! can you??
Well, technically, yes, and so could a certain referee crew I could name. Although personally I would rather have a tobasco enema than wear anything remotely resembling the Steelers logo.

Dude, we laugh at Ben's misfortune because he's an idiot, but we don't wish him ill (or most of us anyway), we pray for his family and that he recovers quickly so he that he has no excuses when the Bengals kick his a-hole up through his shoulderblades. Go over to the smack talk thread, troll.

And by the by, what the hell is up with your handle? Is that supposed to be some clever disguise? Gosh, you sure fooled me.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours of surgery. Surgeons gave update after the surgery concluded. Multiple facial fractures, all successfully repaired. Brain, spine, chest, and abdomen appear to be without serious injury. Still listed in serious, but stable condition. Next update tomorrow afternoon (although ESPNews is to show a Steelers conference sometime soon).

Sounding as though the guy is extremely fortunate. Good news. Stupid people aren't usually this fortunate, but good for him.

This was a pretty huge issue after Winslow crashed his bike, and Ben had numerous occasions to reflect on his decision to not wear a helmet. Thus, I feel no sympathy for the injuries suffered as a result of his own stupidity. And that's true whether he was at fault in the accident or not. That said, get well ya big asshat.

As for Steeler fans, we both know that Ben was stupid and error prone and your team will probably be better off with a backup QB. Right? :conan:

:jawdrop:

This was a pretty huge issue after Winslow crashed his bike, and Ben had numerous occasions to reflect on his decision to not wear a helmet. Thus, I feel no sympathy for the injuries suffered as a result of his own stupidity. And that's true whether he was at fault in the accident or not. That said, get well ya big asshat.

As for Steeler fans, we both know that Ben was stupid and error prone and your team will probably be better off with a backup QB. Right? :conan:

Word.

It just said on the espn ticker multiple facial fractures...broken jaw, broken nose, 9-in laceration on back of head, chipped or missing several teethand minor knee injuries. 7 hours of surgery. :huh::jawdrop:

Im not going to think like a bengals fan right now but as a human being, as much as I dislike the Steelers he is a human being, he belongs to someone. He's someones son, brother, cousin etc. I wouldnt wish that on anyone.

I wish him nothing but the best of luck, and a speedy recovery so we can continue our great rivalry.

WHO-DEY!!!!!!!!! :bengal:

:cheers:

I just thought I would chime in and say...I wish him the best of luck and hope he is back up and throwing a football again...albeit in his front yard with his kid...but throwing a football nonetheless. ^_^

Seriously...there are 2 things you just can't mess with...Karma and fate. I just wonder if that 62 year old lady was a Bengal's fan. :blink:

You can say all you want about wishing him the best and yadda yadda...but the guy had the world in his hands and chose to live without disreguard for his body and the ones who love him by riding a motorcycle without a helmet. That's about as dumb as stashing weed in your shoe...not quite, but close.

Did anyone hear that noise by the way? I think 50% of the people in Pittsburgh just blew their heads off! WElp here's to seeing $hitsburgh fans next year. :sure:

So how good will that night game to open the season be now? ;)

To all the Bengals fans that wished Roethlisberger well, thank you for your support. It looks like he'll be okay. They said the broken jaw will take 6-8 weeks to heal, and he should be able to practice in camp. He should be ready for Week One if everything heals correctly. But luckily, there was no damage to his neck or brain after how hard he appeared to have hit that windshield. Once again, thanks for all your support!

To all the Bengals fans that wished Roethlisberger well, thank you for your support. It looks like he'll be okay. They said the broken jaw will take 6-8 weeks to heal, and he should be able to practice in camp. He should be ready for Week One if everything heals correctly. But luckily, there was no damage to his neck or brain after how hard he appeared to have hit that windshield. Once again, thanks for all your support!

No problem, if this happened to CP or anyone of our boys we'd hope you would feel the same.

No problem, if this happened to CP or anyone of our boys we'd hope you would feel the same.

Except...Steelers fans wouldn't. Just look at the guys icon who is posting that.

They didn't when Carson was injured. hypocrites

Multiple injuries, few answers for Roethlisberger

Four surgeons work for 7 hours to repair facial fractures

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

By Michael A. Fuoco, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Doctors successfully repaired what they said were multiple facial fractures suffered in a motorcycle accident yesterday by Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, but no one would say how his injuries would affect his ability to play.

The 24-year-old quarterback, who was not wearing a helmet, was in serious but stable condition at Mercy Hospital after undergoing seven hours of surgery performed by a team of four surgeons.

Mr. Roethlisberger was injured in an accident at 11:10 a.m. as his motorcycle collided with a car on Second Avenue near the 10th Street Bridge. Witnesses said his head hit the car's windshield and then struck the pavement.

Dr. Daniel Pituch, chief of Mercy's division of oral and maxillofacial surgery, said Mr. Roethlisberger underwent surgery for multiple facial fractures after being evaluated by the surgical team.

"All of the fractures were successfully repaired," he said.

Dr. Pituch would not elaborate further on the quarterback's head injuries. But he indicated that the quarterback did not suffer any other serious injuries.

"His brain, spine, chest and abdomen appear to be without serious injury and there are no other confirmed injuries at this time," Dr. Pituch said.

Dr. Pituch said he did not expect Mr. Roethlisberger's condition to change overnight.

Dr. Harry W. Sell Jr., chairman of surgery at Mercy, said the quarterbacks' family requested that no other information be released about his injuries and doctors declined to answer any questions at a briefing last night.

But Dr. Sell relayed a word of thanks from his family members.

"The Roethlisberger family extends their gratitude for the support, prayers and well wishes that have been pouring into Mercy Hospital," Dr. Sell said.

Although his injuries were serious, onlookers said it could have been much worse. Witnesses said he twice struck his head -- on the car's windshield and then, after flying over the car, on the roadway.

Indeed, the mood at Steelers headquarters later in the day was "reserved optimism." Steelers team president Art Rooney II said he was praying that "Ben's going to make it all right" after arriving last night at Mercy Hospital.

An earlier statement from Mr. Rooney said everyone in the organization was concerned and that, "So far, we have been encouraged by the early reports from the medical team at Mercy Hospital."

Before going into surgery, Dr. Larry Jones of Mercy said the quarterback was talking, was coherent and was cognizant of the situation.

One Steelers source said Mr. Roethlisberger was in surgery for a broken jaw, an injury that can take approximately seven weeks to heal. The Steelers season starts in 12 weeks.

Steelers fans across the region shared concern about the quarterback's condition while debating his judgment in not wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle, especially since he wears one for his occupation.

Several fans showed up at the hospital last night to hold a vigil, complete with lawn chairs and a miniature charcoal grill.

A handful of Steelers players also came to the hospital, including backup quarterback Charlie Batch. Coach Bill Cowher came to the hospital about 9:15 p.m. but did not speak to reporters.

The accident scene left little doubt that the late-morning accident in the Bluff involving Mr. Roethlisberger's motorcycle and a Chrysler New Yorker had been horrific. Metal was twisted like licorice. Windshield glass shattered. Blood pooled on the pavement.

In the moments after the accident, onlookers shook their heads in concern. All they could do was hope for the best for the anonymous motorcyclist.

And then reporters arrived and spread the word that the accident victim was someone they all knew. Those who had been there were stunned. Others, who heard the news from the media, made a pilgrimage to the scene where the severely damaged car, demolished cycle, a red hooded sweatshirt, and blood stains gave silent testimony to what had occurred.

Mr. Roethlisberger was riding a 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa motorcycle outbound on Second Avenue when a 1996 silver New Yorker driven in the opposite direction by Martha Fleishman, 62, of Squirrel Hill, attempted to turn left onto the 10th Street Bridge in front of the motorcycle.

Mr. Roethlisberger smashed his cycle into the car near the front passenger side. His head crashed into the car's windshield, shattering it and leaving a 6-inch hole. Witnesses said he flew over the car and landed on his head on the pavement. A pool of blood marked the spot long after Mr. Roethlisberger was rushed by ambulance to nearby Mercy Hospital.

A woman who declined to give her name said she saw the accident and ran onto the roadway to help the victim. She didn't know it was the Steelers quarterback until a reporter told her about a half hour later.

"That was him? Oh, my! He did say his name was 'Ben,' " she said, recalling that the injured man knew his name but was so disoriented he didn't know the city he was in. "I told him to lie down. He kept trying to get up."

Others who saw him likewise didn't recognize him because of the injuries he suffered and the large amount of blood that covered his face and head.

Among them was Sandra Ford, a Homewood writer and artist, who had just finished teaching a writing class at the Allegheny County Jail and was waiting for a bus on the Armstrong Tunnels side of Second Avenue. Attracted by the loud exhaust, she noticed a motorcycle approaching from her right ridden by a rugged-looking white man with curly hair.

"He was sailing, like he was enjoying the ride. He was going at a good clip but wasn't going overly fast," Ms. Ford said.

She said as he passed her, she noticed a car turning left in front of him. She said she expected the motorcycle to slow down or even have to slam on the brakes but was blocked from further view by cars traveling inbound. And then she heard a "crunching sound" and saw the motorcyclist fly over the car.

"He was a like a doll someone threw up into the air," Ms. Ford said. "I ran to the scene and he was lying on his back and wasn't moving. I thought he was dead."

And then the victim tried to get up but was calmed down by the unidentified witness and a man who tended to him until medics arrived shortly thereafter. She said she spoke with Mrs. Fleishman who she said told her, "I was watching him approach but he was not looking at me."

Ms. Ford caught her bus but couldn't get the accident out of her mind.

"I felt so badly for that guy. Two seconds can change your life," she said. "And then I get home and turn on the TV and find out it's Ben Roethlisberger and I was really upset then."

Mrs. Fleishman's husband, Martin, confirmed in a telephone interview that his wife was the driver but said the couple didn't want to discuss what happened.

"We really have no statement," Mr. Fleishman said. "We certainly hope everything goes well for Mr. Roethlisberger but we have no other statement. Certainly this is terrible and unfortunate. We hope he has a speedy recovery."

He wouldn't comment on his wife's physical or emotional condition in the wake of the accident other than to say, "She's doing as best as she can."

The car is registered to Mrs. Fleishman and carries Maine license plates. The couple has a summer home in Farmington, Maine.

The city police Collision Investigations Unit is investigating the accident. Both vehicles were towed for further investigative processing. There has not been any determination of the speed of the vehicles and no charges have been filed. The investigation could take several weeks to complete, police said.

Mr. Roethlisberger has been known to ride without a helmet when operating his cycle. Steelers coach Bill Cowher addressed the issue with his starting quarterback in May 2005 after Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow had a motorcycle accident in suburban Cleveland. Mr. Winslow hit a curb in a parking lot and was ejected from his bike, injuring his knee.

"It's one of those things, where he talked about being a risk-taker and I'm not really a risk-taker, I'm pretty conservative and laid back," Mr. Roethlisberger told the Post-Gazette. "So the big thing is just be careful and that's what we do.

"I think every person that rides is careful. That's the biggest thing, I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we never ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think that makes it more safe."

Mr. Roethlisberger's mother, Ida, was killed in a car accident when he was 8 years old.

Throughout the area, indeed throughout the entire Steeler Nation, concerns were voiced about Mr. Roethlisberger's condition as were some criticisms of his off-field decision-making. While a few fans said it was a personal decision, many were troubled by his not wearing a motorcycle helmet. Still others said he shouldn't have been on a motorcycle in the first place, claiming he had an obligation as a professional football player not to put himself at risk.

"The cautionary note is, everyone should wear a helmet," said Dr. Jack Wilberger, chairman of neurosurgery at Allegheny General Hospital. "If he had a helmet on he might have been able to get up and walk away, take the helmet off and be scared to death, but be fine."

While Mr. Winslow's contract forbade him from riding a motorcycle, Mr. Roethlisberger's contract does not prohibit him from riding motorcycles, even without a helmet. The standard NFL contract prohibits risky behavior, but that is not precisely defined. Pennsylvania repealed its mandatory helmet law in 2003.

"I think that's my own discretion," Mr. Roethlisberger said about not wearing a helmet when he rides. "Obviously, Pennsylvania doesn't think people need to."

During an interview last year, Steelers Hall-of-Fame quarterback Terry Bradshaw offered one piece of advice for Mr. Roethlisberger about his motorcycle.

"Ride it when you retire. That's the way I feel. Those things are dangerous."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06164/697828-66.stm

7 hours of surgery? Multiple facial fractures?

Good lord.

I would not pen him in for the start of the season just yet. That sounds like a little more than simply "broken jaw", which has been the early spin. Even on the best case scenario, it sounds like he will literally be on a liquid diet for a prolonged period of time, which, it seems to me, won't be the best thing for his overall health heading into camp. I also wonder just how much conditioning he will be able to do while recovering.

Look, I am glad he is OK. He is one lucky sumbitch, as riding a motorcycle without a helmet (and doing so proudfully and wilfully) is an entrance requirement into the anti-mensa club, but glad he didn't pay a heavier price for his profound stupidity.

That said, I am inevitably curious about how this might impact the start of Pittsburgh's season...and I still don't think it is all nipples and whipped cream for them in terms of his recovery.

We'll see. The follow-up statement from the docs today may give more of an idea. The family is withholding details, their right under HIPAA of course, but when it comes to a football player, it starts the wondering anew.

I just can't imagine that Roeth is going to be able to take a hit anytime soon, even after his jaw gets unwired, and it won't simply be a matter of snapping on a helmet and wandering onto the field in Week 1 if he has been out of conditioning for a few months and unable to really do much in terms of contact for awhile after that.

By the way, to Steelers trolls on here who are shocked SHOCKED that some Bengals fans are less than nice, well, here's a thought, don't come on here. I deliberately avoided Steelers boards after CP's injury, presuming, correctly I imagine, that cruel things might be typed. If you don't want to know, don't come read.

I'm glad it looks like he's going to be okay... and hopefully he'll be smart enough to be done with the whole bike thing, or at least get a helmet. (Side note: the most common motorcycle injury is a broken jaw, and most people wear helmets that don't protect the jaw).

Anyway... since it appears he dodged the bullet, I think we can start talking about it from a football perspective without it seeming too terribly calloused. Here is my only thought:

If he had 7 hours of surgery on his broken jaw (and broken nose), and it looks to be about 2 months to heal... even if it is a best case scenario and he will be able to play the 1st game of the season, how conditioned will he be? It will be hard to maintain that 240 something pound frame of his on a liquid diet.

Frankly... his best asset is how hard he is to tackle. If he drops a good amount of weight (and I expect him to), he might not be in a real good situation. That is assuming that everything goes perfectly, and he will be able to take a hit in an NFL game without aggravating his injuries.

He might not miss a game... and I am hoping it will be a healthy Palmer vs. a healthy Big Ben... but it very might be a slightly gimpy Palmer vs. a medium sized Ben come week 3. Who knows... it's possible that Palmer will be the healthier of the two.

PFT has some decent information on their site from dentist. He has no personal information about Rottenburger, but said that if screws or plates were needed to stabilize any of the fractures, he would need to miss 6 months. If he suffered a "Le Fort" fracture to the upper jaw, he would miss the season. The guy was not optimistic about his chances to play if the injury was anything other than a closed, non-displaced break to the lower jaw.

I am waiting for a few of our Steeler trolls to weigh in on this one. It sure is quiet.......

What flavor does Humble Pie come in? :shutup:

Yeah, were are all those MARK A** B**chs at????

your one of the few bengals fans that i actually read about that said that they care not just becasue he is a steeler or such, for he is just a human. and thank you for your kind letter and you will now be allowed to pass through pittsburgh with safety. i expect the same when i come to s**ttynasty for the steelers/bengals game on 12/31. by that time the AFC north will be already determined with pittsburgh on top by a LOT

Pass through? Ha. I live here. 16 years ... unfortunately. I dream of the day when I return to the daylight of any city that doesn't begin with PITTS and end with BURGH.

You walk around this city with ur s**ttynasty bunghole s**t on? surprised u havnt gotten run over yet. i walk through s**ttynasty with steelers s**t on all the time. and now i can do it wearing a Superbowl XL Champs shirt on! can

NEGATIVE

I am waiting for a few of our Steeler trolls to weigh in on this one. It sure is quiet.......

What flavor does Humble Pie come in? :shutup:

Yeah, were are all those MARK A** B**chs at????

PFT has some decent information on their site from dentist. He has no personal information about Rottenburger, but said that if screws or plates were needed to stabilize any of the fractures, he would need to miss 6 months. If he suffered a "Le Fort" fracture to the upper jaw, he would miss the season. The guy was not optimistic about his chances to play if the injury was anything other than a closed, non-displaced break to the lower jaw.

Damn... if that's true we might be seeing Kerry Collins in a Steelers uniform. I hope he plays week 1. I just doubt there is any way he can be as effective as necessary.

I know you guys want to say it...but now at least he has a reason to grow out that ridiculously hideous beard again. Sorry but I still can't feel sorry for a guy that gets hurt doing something stupid. It's almost like when you watch America's Funniest home videos and you see a guy cut down a tree and it falls on his car, sure it is sad that the guy just lost his car, but what he did was just stupid!

On a side note, if the guy was such a wussy to complain about his thumb last season so much, do you really think he is going to come back from THIS and play week one?!?! :blink: Get real!

(All of this can be said now that we all know he isn't seriously hurt)

:sure:

Damn... if that's true we might be seeing Kerry Collins in a Steelers uniform. I hope he plays week 1. I just doubt there is any way he can be as effective as necessary.

At this point it's just too early to tell what's going to happen. in his column on yahoo sports, Charles Robinson passed along a comment from one unnamed team trainer, who said everything you hear right now is guesswork. It will probably be a few days before even the Steelers' own staff will be able to set any kind of realistic timetable for Ben's return. And then just beyond the physical issues you have the mental side -- will it cause Ben to shy away from getting hit, etc.

The bottom line is that Steeler fandom just got admitted to the same hell that bengals fans have been stuck in since January. They don't know when their QB will be back, or if he'll be back, or at what percentage he'll be back, or how well his reconstructed parts will hold up under live game hits. All we, and they, can do now is wait.

Article from today's Pitt papers, first mention I've seen of the c-word...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06164/697825-66.stm

Given all the head injuries I figured he'd had to have had at least a mild concussion. Frankly that's probably a bigger long-term worry than anything else; once you start knocking your brain loose from its moorings it becomes progressively easier to do so later, and with more serious results (ask Wayne Chrebet and Troy Aikman).

So...in my real life job, I am involved in a case right now where a guy was ejected from a vehicle and has closed head injury issues. Like Roeth, he remained conscious throughout, getting an initial 13-14 on that Glasgow Coma index score (15 is the top). He was released from the hospital days after he checked in, in relative good health.

The fighting in the case is over the extent of the lingering damage to his brain. If Roeth is very very lucky, he avoids those issues. But the initial weeks or so after "recovery" will tell a lot. He is by no means out of the woods at this point. I have had to do a ton of reading on these kinds of injuries, and the brain can bounce around the skull at rather frightening rates, causing issues that are hard for even the specialists to understand or predict with any certainty.

There's a long way to go for him, regardless, is what I guess I am saying, and echo joisey from a few posts ago...the Steelers fans need to start now getting comfortable with the kind of uncertainty that has plagued Bengals fans since CP's injury. There will be a whole lot of unknown regarding Roeth's recovery and prognosis for returning to the field for quite some time...

"His brain, spine, chest and abdomen appear to be without serious injury and there are no other confirmed injuries at this time," Dr. Pituch said.

I have to disagree with the doctor. I'd say it's obvious his brain is seriously injured, but that happened sometime well before the accident.

See you dont seem to get it Everyone wants to blame Ben and the fact he did not have a helmet on, no one has said anything about the person who caused the whole thing the driver of the car, who cares if ben did not have a helmet on it was his choice not to wear one, however it was not his choice to have someone run him over.