Kevin Walter a Texan

BENGAL

If the Bengals match, he becomes a Bengal again, no compensation, the end.

In essence, the Bengals matching means that the contract the Texan's wrote becomes the contract Walter signs for the Bengals

But then can't the Texans up the offer? At what point is there a contract he signs and has to take?

If the Bengals match the offer, the Texans do not have an opportunity to counter-offer. He stays a Bengal.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Henry likely out, they have a decision to make.

A $1.5 avg and $2.5 upfront isn't horrible for a possible #3 guy who can play ST's.

I hope they match (not too excited about a 7th rounder) as long as it doesn't cost them an impact player elsewhere. I would think you could free up more money with some other veteran dead weight, at least Walter is a productive, proven commodity.

Losing Myles and Walter in one season would hurt coverage teams.

My main man Reggie is still available :-)

(look slightly to the left.....note the half crazed I'm-about-to-deck-the-return-guy look)

Fine by me, as long as he gets the year off to a better start than last and doesn't get caught duking it out with the Carl Powell's of the roster. :sure:

Fine by me, as long as he gets the year off to a better start than last and doesn't get caught duking it out with the Carl Powell's of the roster. :sure:

Hehe, ironically....if you check the play by play, you'll note that Reggie made the first play of the 2005 season, absolutely decking the Cleveland return man

Of course, he didn't do anything other than kill the team on two notable occasions with big penalties and mix it up with Powell for the rest of the (partial) year

No, I don't see him coming back, much as I might like it

As much I'd like to keep Walter, I don't believe the Houston reporter who says the Bengals will match. If Marvin was willing to give Walter $1.5 million, he would have done so in the beginning and gotten the 1st round compensatory pick if he left. Keep in mind that Henry got arrested late-January/early-February and the RFA tenders went out in March.

Personally, I would have offered Walter a 1-year, $1 million deal in February just to send Henry a message.

As much I'd like to keep Walter, I don't believe the Houston reporter who says the Bengals will match. If Marvin was willing to give Walter $1.5 million, he would have done so in the beginning and gotten the 1st round compensatory pick if he left. Keep in mind that Henry got arrested late-January/early-February and the RFA tenders went out in March.

Personally, I would have offered Walter a 1-year, $1 million deal in February just to send Henry a message.

Agreed. I'd have even been hesitant to offer him the one million, though I suppose that's quabbling over pennies in the scheme of things... Walter has been a great Bengal considering the opportunities he's been given (or lack there-of) but he's not worth that kind of money to us given our depth at the position.

First of all, all this talk about Walter being a 4th or 5th string WR is bunk. He is currently our 3rd or 4th string wideout. He was never #5. Kelly Washington may have been the #5, but not Walter. Now, with Washington likely on his way out, and Henry likely on his way to the road, he's more important than ever.

Secondly, he is even more important on special teams.

Third, who's to say he won't come out and end up our #3 no matter who is back there? He played the #3 role in quite a few games this past season. Every time he's on the field, he makes plays. Give him opportunities, you'll get more production. It's that simple.

Frankly, I match. You rarely find guys like him that late in the draft.

I like Walter, I just don't want them to overspend on a guy who is replaceable...

Just in from the "NOT BUNK DPET", given the roster last year, Walter was 4th or 5th WR. Some games, especially when TJ was hurt, he stepped up and was 3rd WR. When Henry was suspended and Washington got activated, we saw who they slotted in at 3, not Walter. This was more than a symptom of our WR depth, it was that he could play ST and KW did not, he he had more overall value to the Bengals.

Given our current roster (CJ, TJ, Henry, Washington, Walter, Perry, Sams, Broussard), the issue with Henry, the FA WR out there and viability of several draftable players, Houston's offer is too high.

Take a look, Walter got far more playing time than Washington last season..... He has nearly twice as many catches as Washington, and over twice as many yards.

Currently we can count on CJ and TJ as our #1 and #2 wideout. Washington and Henry are both iffy, neither may be on the squad at all this next season. Perry is a kick returner and maybe a safety, maybe could be potentially a wide receiver. Broussard will be cut, again. Sams will be fodder in camp that won't likely shine the shoes of Walter. Blue eyes should be back.

agreed. and that was because he had more "team" value as he played ST. When Henry sat, K-Wash stepped in, not Walter.

Look, I'm not jockng Walter or Washington...simply Walter is at BEST a 4, got the playing time he had due to versatility and is getting bank from Houston for his value....we should not match it, take the extra r7 pick and snag a comarable guy who will cost a third the $...then take that savings and get SOME DEFENSE!!!!Whoohooo!!!

agreed. and that was because he had more "team" value as he played ST. When Henry sat, K-Wash stepped in, not Walter.

Look, I'm not jockng Walter or Washington...simply Walter is at BEST a 4, got the playing time he had due to versatility and is getting bank from Houston for his value....we should not match it, take the extra r7 pick and snag a comarable guy who will cost a third the $...then take that savings and get SOME DEFENSE!!!!Whoohooo!!!

Walter was far more effective than Washington. It's that simple. There's a reason he's being targeted by the Texans over Washington.

I think there are a few reasons Houston is targeting a guy like Walter:

He was offered minimum tender. BTW K-Wash was offered more...meaning they value him more/are willing to pay him more.

He has versatility. Walter is a sure ST player.

Thier own FA WR's are goners. Bradford and Gaffney are celebrating thier exodus from sackville.

Houston will need to overspend on UFA's/RFA's since noone in thier right mind would go there for market value (or better known as a areer ending move).

THese are the reasons Walter is getting courted by Houston, not because he is better than Washington.

Still can't see how this will do anything but hurt our ST if Walter is gone, but at the same time, I can't see the Bengals giving up that much money to someone who only does ST. Walter (regardless of last year) is not viewed as the typical #3 WR and I just don't see him coming back.

WHODEY !!!

I think there are a few reasons Houston is targeting a guy like Walter:

He was offered minimum tender. BTW K-Wash was offered more...meaning they value him more/are willing to pay him more.

He has versatility. Walter is a sure ST player.

Thier own FA WR's are goners. Bradford and Gaffney are celebrating thier exodus from sackville.

Houston will need to overspend on UFA's/RFA's since noone in thier right mind would go there for market value (or better known as a areer ending move).

THese are the reasons Walter is getting courted by Houston, not because he is better than Washington.

Kwash was offfered more because by offering him more they stand to gain more in the way of compensation if he leaves.

Walter is the better player.

there are numerous players in the draft that can be drafted in the 7th round to play special teams effectively...

Walter was a good reserve wideout but he can be replaced as well

Agreed. He's a good ST player and I would hate to see him go, but his absence would not affect this team at all. There are plenty of guys that we can acquire via the draft or FA to replace him.

Kwash was offfered more because by offering him more they stand to gain more in the way of compensation if he leaves.

Let me revise this so that it reflects reality:

Kwash was offfered more because....he is a higher caliber player who will be harder to replace, exhibited by the fact that he was offered a higher tender and have more to gain by him STAYING.

Walter is...expendable and was offered the lowest tender, dangling him out there with known risk he may get an offer but have LESS TO LOSE IF HE LEAVES.

Teams typically protect the RFA players (give them a higher tender offer) that they can least afford to lose...conversely, teams give lower tender offers to player who, while may be very good, they can more afford to lose and would be easier to replace.

I think the technique that you are implying, offer a low tender to a good player and hope noone notices AND give someone a higher offer to a mediocre player with limited versatility in the hope that you'd get a higher draft pick compensation if they get an offer, is ludicrous.

Let me revise this so that it reflects reality:

Kwash was offfered more because....he is a higher caliber player who will be harder to replace, exhibited by the fact that he was offered a higher tender and have more to gain by him STAYING.

Walter is...expendable and was offered the lowest tender, dangling him out there with known risk he may get an offer but have LESS TO LOSE IF HE LEAVES.

Not true. Kwash was offered more because we wanted to gain more when we trade him/let him sign elsewhere. We hoped noone would notice Blue Eyes.

I'd believe that if Cheech Henry did not have the legal probelms he currently faces...

Given these tenders were done post "gun waving", I disagree.

How does it make sense that we tender K-Wash higher, hoping he goes bye-bye (at the same time not thinking much of him) when Cheech may miss the whole year or never be a Bengal again???

And if Walter is SO critical now that Cheech is facing the hard time, does it not stand to reason that they'd tender him a bit more for insurance???

ugh..this is boring....."Thrifty", but boring.

Take a look, Walter got far more playing time than Washington last season..... He has nearly twice as many catches as Washington, and over twice as many yards.

Currently we can count on CJ and TJ as our #1 and #2 wideout. Washington and Henry are both iffy, neither may be on the squad at all this next season. Perry is a kick returner and maybe a safety, maybe could be potentially a wide receiver. Broussard will be cut, again. Sams will be fodder in camp that won't likely shine the shoes of Walter. Blue eyes should be back.

Why so quick to cut Broussard though? He could be our return man on punts and kickoffs. He would be much better than Keiwan and would do simliar things that Tab Perry did. That would allow Tab Perry to focus on becoming the 3 or 4 receiver.

Why so quick to cut Broussard though? He could be our return man on punts and kickoffs. He would be much better than Keiwan and would do simliar things that Tab Perry did. That would allow Tab Perry to focus on becoming the 3 or 4 receiver.

I don't think Broussard would be a better punt returner than Keiwan, and I don't think it'd be necessary to relieve Tab of his kick return duties. Broussard probably has more straight away speed than any Bengal, but does he have the shiftiness needed to cut the deal, and can he protect the football? That remains to be seen in regards to returning punts.

I think Keiwan will have a good year if given another opportunity... More like his rookie season when he lead the AFC in yards per return, but was 3 punts short of qualifying.

No if he signs with the Texans now they get the 7th round pick because the Bengals already tendered him a minimum offer before the Texan's offer. And the pick would be in NEXT years draft not THIS years draft.
Are you sure that the pick would be in next year's draft and not this year's ?

I know that extra picks, that are compensation for losing more FAs than you sign, arn't allotted by the league until the following year, mostly because this year's free-agency isn't complete before draft day.

But it is my understanding that the compensation from another team that signs one of your RFA would be in this year's draft.

NFL.com ...

In order to submit an offer sheet, a new club must have available the required choice or choices, defined as its own or better choices in the applicable rounds, in the 2006 NFL Draft. Offer sheets may be submitted to players in this category no later than 11:59 p.m., New York time, on April 21.