Kevin Walter a Texan

BENGAL

As much I'd like to keep Walter, I don't believe the Houston reporter who says the Bengals will match. If Marvin was willing to give Walter $1.5 million, he would have done so in the beginning and gotten the 1st round compensatory pick if he left. Keep in mind that Henry got arrested late-January/early-February and the RFA tenders went out in March.

Personally, I would have offered Walter a 1-year, $1 million deal in February just to send Henry a message.

Maybe Marvin planned to keep Walter all along and didn't want to get into a bidding war by not offering the 1.55mil tender in the first place and giving him the low round offer...this way paying him the 1.5 now is the same...fsugirlsgml23zq.jpg

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a look, Walter got far more playing time than Washington last season..... He has nearly twice as many catches as Washington, and over twice as many yards.

Currently we can count on CJ and TJ as our #1 and #2 wideout. Washington and Henry are both iffy, neither may be on the squad at all this next season. Perry is a kick returner and maybe a safety, maybe could be potentially a wide receiver. Broussard will be cut, again. Sams will be fodder in camp that won't likely shine the shoes of Walter. Blue eyes should be back.

Why so quick to cut Broussard though? He could be our return man on punts and kickoffs. He would be much better than Keiwan and would do simliar things that Tab Perry did. That would allow Tab Perry to focus on becoming the 3 or 4 receiver.

Have you not paid attention to history? If you had you would know that:

A) We aren't going to sign a top free agent, period. We will sign younger, second best guys for better deals and build through the draft.

B) Broussard won't make the team.

Isn't it funny how every pro Walter post focuses almost entirely on his value as a special team player or the stupidity level of Chris Henry. While those factors are interesting I would be remiss if I didn't point out that they aren't the qualifications of a good wideout. Then again, Walter isn't a good wideout. He's a role playing guy named Joe who became a fan favorite based almost entirely on the fact that his story is one where the Bengals got a valuable role player for nothing.

Who-Dey.

Look, I won't be upset if the Bengals match the Texan offer because it's really not THAT much money, is it? The question is if it's too much for a role playing 4th wideout special team gunner kinda guy.

Last point. For those of you who insist on pimping Walter as a better wideout that Washington let me remind you of the game where Walter was given his most extensive and important playing time as a true WR. The result was Walter producing more negative yards from stupid penalties than positive yards gained from receptions.

Id like them to match the offer for Walter....He's very dependable and I think he'll get better... Noone can argue his value on special teams either...

The Texans want an over the middle tough as nails type receiver and they think enough of Walter to offer him a contract.

The Bengals should think along the same lines and keep him....

He's as good as he's going to get unless he drops half a second in the 40. He has OK hands, runs decent routes, but he's sloooooow. Don't expect Walter to improve at all. He's been around long enough, for a guy with his talent he's hit his ceiling.

:huh: If paying Walter the 1.5 mil only because he is a good ST player he can go...but because of the coverages CJ, TJ, CH get Walter does his thing as a fourth reciever and catches everything thrown his way. HOF, said before when he was a true WR with maybe a #2 corner on him he did make mistakes, but it was only 1 game and maybe he did not know the playbook for all the plays of something...i would'nt be mad if they matched or not...as for KWash at this point he may be more valuable than Walter only because of CH, because everyone knows Marvin wanted a draft pick for him...

Id like them to match the offer for Walter....He's very dependable and I think he'll get better... Noone can argue his value on special teams either...

The Texans want an over the middle tough as nails type receiver and they think enough of Walter to offer him a contract.

The Bengals should think along the same lines and keep him....

He's as good as he's going to get unless he drops half a second in the 40. He has OK hands, runs decent routes, but he's sloooooow. Don't expect Walter to improve at all. He's been around long enough, for a guy with his talent he's hit his ceiling.

How can you say a guy who has barely seen the field has topped out? He's not a burner, we know that. He's a possession receiver, a guy who goes to the first down line, and makes the catch. He has great hands, and rarely drops a needed catch. Walter will get better as he plays more. His routes will get even crisper, and he will be harder to stop. He's the Bengals version of an old guy I loved, Tom Waddle.

If the Bengals' lose Kelley Washington soon, apparently they will match the Texans' offer for Walter as a result.

They will also be in a position where they'll have to match an offer for JJ soon it looks like.

The 49ers signing of Antonio Bryant may delay the above for Kelley Washington, whom the 49ers were apparently ready to offer a contract and give up their extra 3rd rounder for this year.

So it seems the Bengals' are going to keep Washington or Walter, but probably not both.

Walter improved significantly last year, it was quite a noticeable jump in performance, no one really expected it in fan land I don't think.

With the Chris Henry situation up in the air, I would like see them keep both guys and concentrate on defense, but that doesn't look probable at this point.

Lance's blog also said they are now working on an extension with Steinbach.

How can you say a guy who has barely seen the field has topped out? He's not a burner, we know that. He's a possession receiver, a guy who goes to the first down line, and makes the catch. He has great hands, and rarely drops a needed catch. Walter will get better as he plays more. His routes will get even crisper, and he will be harder to stop. He's the Bengals version of an old guy I loved, Tom Waddle.

He reminds me of Ed mcaffrey, just minus some speed.

He can't stretch the field like henry can :( Hopfully henry only gets 4 weeks of no football o_O

Walter's job isn't to stretch the field like Henry. Two different receivers. One is a burner who may or may not catch the ball. The other is a guy who doesn't put dope in his shoe or wave guns at cops in his jersey, and makes the possession catches for first downs when we need them.

He can't stretch the field like henry can :( Hopfully henry only gets 4 weeks of no football o_O

Walter's job isn't to stretch the field like Henry. Two different receivers. One is a burner who may or may not catch the ball. The other is a guy who doesn't put dope in his shoe or wave guns at cops in his jersey, and makes the possession catches for first downs when we need them.

And thats what TJ does =P and our new TE will do ^_^

And thats what TJ does =P and our new TE will do ^_^

Walter is a known quantity. We don't even know if we are going to continue to use a tight end yet.

Walter is a TJ backup, not a CJ backup.

TNBT....

he "WAS" a TJ backup...WAS...and our shiny new Day 1 TE will give this O amazing balance and unpredictability...all while I wear my new Marcedes Lewis bengals jersey...

1. He's not signed away yet.

2. We haven't had an opporunity to even decide to match yet.

3. Lewis is the WORST tight end choice out there.

4. Just because we sent Shoebel packing doesn't mean we are going to draft a tight end.

TNBT....

he "WAS" a TJ backup...WAS...and our shiny new Day 1 TE will give this O amazing balance and unpredictability...all while I wear my new Marcedes Lewis bengals jersey...

1. He's not signed away yet.

2. We haven't had an opporunity to even decide to match yet.

3. Lewis is the WORST tight end choice out there.

4. Just because we sent Shoebel packing doesn't mean we are going to draft a tight end.

bet you it does :P mybe not 1st/2nd rnd but I'd bet 3rd/4th at the lastest. Ghent can make the team now for TE/FB depth but still need TE number 3

As much I'd like to keep Walter, I don't believe the Houston reporter who says the Bengals will match. If Marvin was willing to give Walter $1.5 million, he would have done so in the beginning and gotten the 1st round compensatory pick if he left. Keep in mind that Henry got arrested late-January/early-February and the RFA tenders went out in March.

Personally, I would have offered Walter a 1-year, $1 million deal in February just to send Henry a message.

Maybe Marvin planned to keep Walter all along and didn't want to get into a bidding war by not offering the 1.55mil tender in the first place and giving him the low round offer...this way paying him the 1.5 now is the same...

There wouldn't be a bidding war. With RFA's the new team makes an offer and the old team either matches or doesn't. If Marvin offered the $1.55 mill tender, the Texans just as easily could have offered $2 mill, if they thought he was worth it. By offering the low tender, Marvin basically told the rest of the league how little they had to offer to get Walter (less than $1.55 mill). And all they'd have to give up is a 7th round pick.

If Marvin really wanted to keep Walter, he would've re-signed him before free agency started. Considering how quickly Walter signed the Texans' offer, I doubt that it would have been that hard. Would you really pick the Texans over the Bengals for any reason other than the money? Who would you rather play with, David Carr or Carson Palmer? Hint: One of the two was at Walter's wedding. And it wasn't David Carr.

KWash is harder to replace because of his size and speed, but I think KWalt is more valuable to the team. He's not a perfect WR by any stretch of the imagination, but I think his contributions on ST and his work ethic in general certainly raises him to the level of an under-achieving speedster like KWash. Given a choice between KWash for a 3rd round pick, and KWalt for a 7th round pick, I'd take KWalt.

But in the end, it's hard to look at our recent success picking WR's and not think we can do just as well by letting Walter go.

Incidentally, I don't remember KWash getting the higher tender. Are you guys just referring to the higher pick that we'd get if he left?

bet you it does mybe not 1st/2nd rnd but I'd bet 3rd/4th at the lastest. Ghent can make the team now for TE/FB depth but still need TE number 3

Now, now...I have the bet with TNBT regarding drafting a day 1 TE. I'm looking forward to wearing my Pope/Lewis/Byrd/Klop jersey.

Pope may be gone by 24...Lewis is a fine TE...may slip to us at 55...

no matter...Walter will be a Texan and spend the next 4 months counting his money...good for him.

bet you it does mybe not 1st/2nd rnd but I'd bet 3rd/4th at the lastest. Ghent can make the team now for TE/FB depth but still need TE number 3

Now, now...I have the bet with TNBT regarding drafting a day 1 TE. I'm looking forward to wearing my Pope/Lewis/Byrd/Klop jersey.

Pope may be gone by 24...Lewis is a fine TE...may slip to us at 55...

no matter...Walter will be a Texan and spend the next 4 months counting his money...good for him.

Other day one TE jersey possibilities are Anthony Fasano, and David Thomas.

Hope we match on Walter. Clutch 3rd down receivers are not that easy to find.