Rookie Mini Camp Day and other OTA Stuff from People There

membengal

Hey coach Reid…

Define “Impressing”.
Something tells me that word means something different to him.

Not wishing Ross ill or anything, he just never lived up to his draft status or any draft status for that matter.

Amazing how long he has earned paychecks off of his combine 40 time.

On 5/31/2023 at 11:50 AM, membengal said:

I want him to get paid  elsewhere - I want the best for Boyd. He's hopefully in the Ring of Honor someday. 

TJ Says he's underrated and I agree:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/t-j-houshmandzadeh-says-bengals-033048677.html

He'll be less expensive than Tee, not by a ton, but his #'s aren't so gaudy that he won't be affordable, unless some team just gets stupid (entirely possible).

When I look back at all the highlights from the last 2-3 years, Boyd is everywhere, always making a huge 3rd down play or tough catch when they needed it, big TD's etc.., I don't know how they replace what is probably the best slot WR in the league.  But, the Bengals' won't pay all 3.

I'd be tempted to approach him and Tee and extend whomever is most affordable/realistic, and find out (if they haven't).  If Tee wants #1 money, I pay Boyd instead if he's reasonable and wants to stay, for instance.  Don't want to lose 2 of the 3 either.

There is no Boyd or Higgins discussion, IMO.    My guess is Higgins will get a big offer from the Bengals its just a matter of the two parties agreeing.   If they don't,  I would guess the franchise tag is coming.  Boyd may or may not get offered a 3rd contract from the Bengals but it will not be in the magnitude of Higgins and it shouldn't be.

If Higgins wants this year's No. 1 money you offer Higgins No. 1 money and hope he takes it.  Why?  Burrow is the best back shoulder thrower in the league and that's a big part of Higgins game.   Throw him cash and beat teams over the head with it.     Chase is under team control for the next 3 seasons.  Then a 4th assuming tag.   That's a long freaking time and with cap growth any Higgins deal done this off season will look like a bargain.

In my mind its the same rational you don't fuck with Mixon until you have replacement.   Teams are going to play a lot of cover 2.  Throwing to Mixon out of the backfield was a huge counter measure.   When you are hunting for a Superbowl, this is stuff you overpay for.   Same with Higgins.   So many back shoulder plays with Burrow.   Elite talent.   Try to keep it IF you got it.

Love Boyd and hope he makes a ton.

That being said, it’s hard to say what he looks like without teams having to cover both Chase and Higgins on the outside. Hard to say what he looks like on a team that doesn’t have two elite talents that will get doubled or RB’s capable of catching passes out of the backfield. Or even a QB that is at least average.

As much as I love TB, I’m not giving up Higgins on his 2nd deal to keep TB on his 3rd. Not a chance in hell.