Rookie Mini Camp Day and other OTA Stuff from People There

membengal

I honestly always felt like Tee would be the odd man out, as I thought it would be too problematic to dump that much money into the WR corps.  That is not what the team is thinking apparently and appear to be willing to dump mad dollars in that direction, which I'm fine with.  However, mad dollars still has a limit and by all accounts TB is now the odd man out.

TB will be 29 during this season and while nothing would make me happier in seeing these guys all stick together, looking at new contracts for Chase, Higgins and TB, I just don't see it.  Lets give a round number, which I think is less than what the 3 total would cost, 60 million.  That's roughly 26-27% of the current cap number.  While that number will continue to go up, that hasn't even factored in Joe's soon to be top 3, if not the highest paid player in the NFL contract.

TB's future contract is going to be more than Logan Wilson's next deal for some perspective.  With TB gone, the Bengals resign Wilson with ease and still have money to play with to address others.  It makes me sad to tell the truth, because I think the world of TB.  Here's to hoping we can get him a Super Bowl ring this year.

I'm certain Higgins is going to get a significant offer from Bengals.  Maybe he already has?   Its just a matter of Higgins wanting to take it or test the market.   I would expect him to get the tag if its not done. 

Boyd?   Seems like the odd man out.   Maybe they offer him a short term deal, I don't know.   But Trenton Irwin, and the WRs they just drafted in some combination are replacements for Boyd.

Chase still has 3 years of team control and then tag.   That's a long time.

2 hours ago, COB said:

Tyler Boyd is respectfully implying this next contract will be his last so will be taking the highest offer.  And there is a great chance it won’t be here.  Still a great attitude and work ethic.  

He's handling it like a pro. Gonna miss him, but loved how he said he will always be a Bengal. 

Even if there were NOT the Tee piece hanging out there, no way are they giving a 3rd contract to Boyd as he turns 30. That's just not how this team does business since the end of the Marvin era (they really regretted handing out the 3rd contracts to Dunlap and Geno). You saw their reluctance to go big with Von Bell as he looked for his third contract. 

Best part is, Tyler understands and isn't being bitter about it. His best chance at another good payday is to be the person and player he has always been, have a good year, and grab what he can on one last contract.

Then, hopefully, we sign him back here for a one-day contract in 2026 when he retires. 

It’s the Burrow Effect again. As long as Burrow is playing well and the Bengals are contending for a title (and there’s no reason to think they won’t be again this fall), then Cincy players will be desirable in FA. We saw it this year with Bell and Hurst. As long as he’s healthy someone will offer Boyd a good deal next March. Probably not us, but he’ll get paid.