Week 16: Bengals @ Patriots

HoosierCat

35 minutes ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Win this one, tank the Buffalo game and rest starters and start Allen,  then be healthier for the Ravens.   Tell fans at stadium too bad, take one for the team.

are you high?

Again though...
There's no need to putting thought to how they win the North or get the #1 seed.
The team simply needs to focus solely on beating the Patriots Sunday and then go from there.
3 wins and a KC slip up and all that comes to pass.

KC has the Seahawks, Broncos and at the Raiders.
While crappy, division games are still division games.

I am hoping that the Raiders can beat the Chefs for us

To take the number 1 seed, we pretty much need both of the following to happen

1. Win every single remaining game (this includes a victory over the Bills)

2. Chiefs lose at least once

Can it happen?  Yep

Will it happen?  Dunno.  I cant see it as likely, tho.  Especially with the Bills being one of the opponents.

Hubbard (calf) was in a walking boot after the game yesterday. Zac didn’t have an update after the game so we’ll just have to see how that progresses.

CTB (shoulder) and Mike Hilton both said postgame they would be good to go vs. the Pats. Obviously it’s not up to them but that’s encouraging.

I think the Bills are an amazing team and I enjoy watching Josh Allen ball out.
I still respect their fans for what they did with Dalton's foundation after we helped them get into the playoffs that year.
That being said, they aren't invincible.  They aren't to be scared of or intimidated by.

While I would love the #1 seed, I won't be complaining about a #2 or #3 with the AFC North title.
Something makes me feel like time off or resting guys might jinx the whole damn thing.

Regarding the injuries, it would not surprise me to see the team sit those guys to give them time to heal up instead of pushing it.

If I'm being totally honest, I think the Patriots suck big fat donkey balls.  Their 7-7 record is a product of beating mostly shitty teams.
Wins against Steelers, Lions, Browns, Jets (x2), Colts, and Cardinals.  A few head scratching losses to the Packers, Bears and Raiders yesterday, to top that off.
I don't want to get overconfident, but I was more concerned about the Bucs yesterday with a losing record then I am the Patriots.

1 hour ago, COB said:

Hubbard supposedly out until the playoffs.  Injuries hitting us every week now.  

2-4 weeks per the Enquirer. So he might be back for the Ravens, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2022/12/19/cincinnati-bengals-de-sam-hubbard-calf-injury-update/69740666007/

I love the distribution of Burrow's 36 TDs so far this season:

8 - Chase
6 - Higgins
5 - Boyd
5 - Burrow (rushing)
4 - Perine
2 - Hurst
2 - Mixon
2 - Irwin
1 - Evans
1 - Wilcox

9 different players with at least one TD reception. Let's see if we can get Taylor, Morgan, Asiasi, or T. Williams in on the party.

7 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Hubbard (calf) was in a walking boot after the game yesterday. Zac didn’t have an update after the game so we’ll just have to see how that progresses.

CTB (shoulder) and Mike Hilton both said postgame they would be good to go vs. the Pats. Obviously it’s not up to them but that’s encouraging.

No idea what it is, but am hoping CTB was just a stinger.  If so, yeah he should be good.

5 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

2-4 weeks per the Enquirer. So he might be back for the Ravens, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2022/12/19/cincinnati-bengals-de-sam-hubbard-calf-injury-update/69740666007/

Might have to sign some bodies this week, at this point.   Gunter and Sample are literally just placeholder bodies (Gunter looks slow as hell).   But figure they'l stick with who they have.   

Maybe design more stuff or get Akeem in there again on 3rd downs/passing downs as they need speed/athleticism in the worst way on the edge.  Sample/Gunter give them almost nothing.

10 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

So apparently the Bengals clinch a playoff spot if the Jags beat the Jets on Thursday.

Go Jags !!!

Yup. Even if the Jags lose the Bengals secure a spot with a win Sunday.

Meanwhile, the Rams were eliminated by last night’s loss, tied for earliest elimination of a defending champ ever. 

Things are going to definitely change up on the defensive side with both T-Rex and Hubbard out for the game.
Anarumo is going to have his work cut out for him in trying to stick fingers in the leaks.
There is no one on the depth chart after Sample and you are left with Ossai and Gunter.
They have Raymond Johnson (?) on the practice squad as well.

Maybe Anarumo mixes things up with the scheme to try to help the pass rush out.  Bring more blitzes ??
While I'm not scared of the Patriots, you can't just leave about any NFL QB time to sit back in the pocket.
Curious how it will play out more than anything.

15 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

So apparently the Bengals clinch a playoff spot if the Jags beat the Jets on Thursday.

Go Jags !!!

I have to think there is probably some scenarios involving ties or some very remote stuff happening preventing showing the Bengals as "clinched" already.

Basically the way I take that scenario is 1 more Jets loss and the Bengals are the 7th seed even if they go 0-3.  

5 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Yup. Even if the Jags lose the Bengals secure a spot with a win Sunday.

Meanwhile, the Rams were eliminated by last night’s loss, tied for earliest elimination of a defending champ ever. 

Yet most national talking head had the Bengals as the most likely to fall off.