2023 Draft Talking Points

McShay’s post SB mock:

28. Cincinnati Bengals

Dalton Kincaid, TE, Utah

I wouldn't count out an offensive lineman here, but think about how a standout tight end could elevate this offense to another level. Joe Burrowthrew only 92 passes to tight ends in 2022, sixth fewest in the league, and now Hayden Hurst is off to free agency. Cincinnati could really use a top-tier pass-catcher there to open things up more on the outside for the Bengals' trio of wideouts, provide a security blanket for Burrow over the middle and stretch the seam for chunk plays. With a big 6-foot-4, 240-pound frame, Kincaid is coming off two straight seasons with 500-plus yards and eight TDs.

He has DE Keion White and two OTs (Harrison and Duncan) going in the next three picks to end the round, so if you don’t like TE, there you go.

PFF has shaken up their rankings - just ran one for the first time in in a week and came out with this draft:

Round 1 Pick 28 - Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas

Round 2 Pick 60 - Darnell Wright, T, Tenn

Round 3 Pick 92 - Darnell Washington, TE, Georgia

Round 4  Pick 131   - Kyu Blu Kelly, CB, Stanford 

Round 5  Pick  165 - Julius Brents, CB, Kansas State

Round 6 Pick 206 -  Cameron Young, DL, Miss State

Round 7 Pick 248 - Dante Stills, DL, West Virginia

• Like 1

Kancey is looking like a top 15 pick at this point.    Darnell Wright at 60 would be awesome, but in reality probably would need to use 28 or trade down a little in order to get him.   Mock drafts and top 50 lists are still sorting themselves out. 

Wright's stock could be high with actual scouts and it might take a little while for that to leak out.   He was impressive against what could be the No. 1 pick of the draft or the first defender taken.  

That's why mock drafts (ESPECIALLY THIS EARLY) are less than worthless.
Players projected in the 3rd and 4th round now can easily find themselves in the 1st and 2nd when it's all said and done.
I had a mock draft today on Profootball network and walked away with TE Dalton, DT Kancey and CB Eli Ricks as my 1st - 3rd round picks.

Regardless of which one I use, I just enjoy reading the takes on the players.  I will head over to YouTube and watch highlights.
I watch a f*ck ton of college football, so there are many players I'm familiar with. 
My love of the draft is well documented over the last nearly 20 years I've been here.

When you really have to pin it down, which positions do you think a rookie could come in and have an immediate impact? I only ask because it seems to me, that there aren’t many.

Here’s where I was thinking.
OT, TE, DT
Maybe CB, LB, or RB

My reason for bringing it up is (and so don’t typically think this way) maybe a trade up is in order.

On 2/17/2023 at 11:16 PM, ArmyBengal said:

So a tight end that has issues catching the ball when Joe Burrow is the QB ??

That's a easy PASS from my side of things, good blocker or not, when considering how high we would have to select him.
Did we learn nothing from drafting Sample in the 2nd round ??  Just no...

Yeah I'd lean heavily toward Mayer or no one at TE with the first pick.   Would prefer an OT though.   

On 2/18/2023 at 12:25 PM, ArmyBengal said:

When you really have to pin it down, which positions do you think a rookie could come in and have an immediate impact? I only ask because it seems to me, that there aren’t many.

Here’s where I was thinking.
OT, TE, DT
Maybe CB, LB, or RB

My reason for bringing it up is (and so don’t typically think this way) maybe a trade up is in order.

They could really use an Edge guy/pass rusher too, and I'd rank that up there with the needs at OT and TE.   

On 2/17/2023 at 11:05 AM, membengal said:

PFF has shaken up their rankings - just ran one for the first time in in a week and came out with this draft:

Round 1 Pick 28 - Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas

Round 2 Pick 60 - Darnell Wright, T, Tenn

Round 3 Pick 92 - Darnell Washington, TE, Georgia

Round 4  Pick 131   - Kyu Blu Kelly, CB, Stanford 

Round 5  Pick  165 - Julius Brents, CB, Kansas State

Round 6 Pick 206 -  Cameron Young, DL, Miss State

Round 7 Pick 248 - Dante Stills, DL, West Virginia

Kewl. Just tried it out (only 4 rounds) and got Mayer in the first, Keion White in the second, LB Drew Sanders in the third and OT Tyler Steen in the fourth.

(if Sanders is actually there in the third that means he must have, like, killed someone between now and then. I’m still taking him.)