Week 3: Bengals @ Jets

HoosierCat

To be clear, that commentary was about training camp -- not the preseason. These are not the same thing. La'el Collins was hampered by dings, and the whole group legitimately couldn't practice as much as I am sure the coaching staff would have liked.

We can criticize them for the softness of training camp and for not running out the starting unit in the preseason. I think those are valid gripes. But they're not affirming those gripes in those quotes.

2 hours ago, Stripes said:

To be clear, that commentary was about training camp -- not the preseason. These are not the same thing. La'el Collins was hampered by dings, and the whole group legitimately couldn't practice as much as I am sure the coaching staff would have liked.

We can criticize them for the softness of training camp and for not running out the starting unit in the preseason. I think those are valid gripes. But they're not affirming those gripes in those quotes.

Hard disagree. Callahan is saying there are so far behind they don’t know what runs work best. Not in camp, not in preseason, right now. Two weeks in to the real thing. Those gripes are 100 percent validated.

It’s crazy to see how many backup o-lineman are out there playing for teams, and yet they are playing so much better then the whole bengals offense line. All of these guys were starters in this league no way they should be this bad, and shame on the coaches for either not getting them ready or the players for not learning the offense before the season starts. 

Crazy thing is I remember having to get o-lineman during the week and they had to play the next game and not look as confused as this o-line has. 

Not that he will (least I hope not lol), but how much of this does Burrow take anymore, before he is like screw this and pull a Luck or a Palmer and just leave. Now I’m sure he won’t, but I wonder what that locker room is like right now, it was so high last season pretty sure it’s not right now.

Ok, a dose of optimism. Don’t piss in my Wheaties.

They started their first 9 games last year 5-4. While looking at the schedule and assuming they finally start to get things together, they could find themselves in the same position this year at that point.

With the back of the schedule being as tough as it is, they will need to play lights out from there. However, I’m not ruling things out yet.

11-6

• Like 1

Well, yeah, the positive is that the line is getting the reps its needs. It’s play collectively sucks, but it is getting the reps, so improvement will come. In ye olden days (the 90s) when the team needed to play its way into shape every year, it usually took most of September. Hopefully we see a strong step forward this game, but I wouldn’t dare predict anything at this point.

In looking at this further, I see a problem - err, a possible problem - at the WR spot as well

How is it that with the primary three receivers we have - Chase, Higgins, and Boyd, plus I guess we can include Hurst now - Burrow isnt seeing open receivers?

Is it that the receivers arent open, or is it Burrow is not seeing them open?

I know the high pressure he is under on almost every snap due to the struggles of our well paid OLine, but still.......

Due to various and sundry circumstances, I havent got to watch any games, so I really dont know if Burrow is holding the ball because he isnt seeing the open receivers, or they simply arent open

so I ask - which is it?

53 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

In looking at this further, I see a problem - err, a possible problem - at the WR spot as well

How is it that with the primary three receivers we have - Chase, Higgins, and Boyd, plus I guess we can include Hurst now - Burrow isnt seeing open receivers?

Is it that the receivers arent open, or is it Burrow is not seeing them open?

I know the high pressure he is under on almost every snap due to the struggles of our well paid OLine, but still.......

Due to various and sundry circumstances, I havent got to watch any games, so I really dont know if Burrow is holding the ball because he isnt seeing the open receivers, or they simply arent open

so I ask - which is it?

It’s more about Burrow and the amount of time he has to throw the ball if you ask me. He is seeing ghosts out there the pocket is collapsing and he is looking for his way out rather then looking down field. They could make it easier for him by doing quick passes, but most of the passes Joe needs time to let it develop, but it falls apart. The WR are fine and are getting open, and I know last game Joe did miss a few passes to guys. Needless to say Joe had not been very good some on him and some on the o-line.

Joe has seemed extremely frustrated in each game.
I don't know if it's the line not blocking and him not having time, the WR's not getting open, or what.
However, you can see it on his face and the way he's communicating with the guys on offense.

So I'm looking at this week like it's week 1 and now they have had some time to work together on the field.
I'm expecting a much better game come this Sunday, but if it sucks, I'm going to be super concerned about this season.
Hopefully the guys aren't feeling that pressure of an 0-3 start staring at them.

Might I suggest a team building event to a local strip club?

So I took a look and Joe is tied for 4th in the league with 57 completions through week 2.
His completion percentage is good for 17th in the league, but it's not like it sucks at 64%. (He went for 70% in 2021)
His 537 passing yards are 11th best in the league through week 2 as well.
I think that would indicate his pass catchers are getting open and he's seeing them for the most part.
His QB rating is tied for 2nd worst, but that's due to the number of INT's to this point and sacks are not counted in that.
The Bengals have lost 73 total yards for the 13 sacks taken, which leads the league. (Makes sense, but sucks)
It's kind of weird as well because they are picking up 1st downs almost 40% of drives, which is pretty good league wide.

Bengals current situation needs them to run to set up the pass.    The normal windows that are there in the Tampa 2 are still there but probably tighter as LBs, Safeties probably aren't spending much time worried about the run game.     When you don't trust your pocket, then it gets harder and more stressful to constantly hit those targets.

IMO, that is the look you saw on Joe's face following a 17 play series to score a TD and 2pt conversion.     It would be nice to get into more 2nd and easy scenarios.  

Ugh so according to Goodberry on Twitter I see that Burrow last season was actually under more pressure or just about the same as this season, but his stats were actually better, and looked better over all. I didn’t watch the video he put out yet, but hopefully it’s things that Burrow can fix, and they can right the ship. 

The pocket pretty much collapses immediately.  It is made apparent when you watch teams with a competent o-line.  Being used to watching the Bengals, it is so revealing to watch a quarterback stand there and go through 3 or 4 reads.  Joe does not have that.  

Once we give him time, hopefully he’ll perform, his confidence will return, then on those plays that do break down we’ll see the Joe of old.  

This is Burrow’s third year.  We’re in the prime window of a great QB on his cost-controlled rookie deal.  This is THE window.

Taylor is blowing it.

2 hours ago, volcom69 said:

Ugh so according to Goodberry on Twitter I see that Burrow last season was actually under more pressure or just about the same as this season, but his stats were actually better, and looked better over all. I didn’t watch the video he put out yet, but hopefully it’s things that Burrow can fix, and they can right the ship. 

He might have been under more pressure last year, but after half of 2020 and getting back to start 2021 with more or less the same oline, he at least had the measure of their capabilities, or lack thereof. He’d gotten a feel for where and how and when they could hold up, and when they wouldn’t. So ultimately his confidence in the line wasn’t really an issue.

Smash cut to to 2022 and the oline is 80% new. They’ve had little time together and even less with him since he was out most of camp and all of preseason. Joe has no feel for this group, and worse they are a mass of inconsistencies at the moment. So now confidence is a big issue. Joe has none and the way his mechanics have collapsed reflects that.

There are still flashes. Given time, they should be able to pull themselves together, assuming Burrow doesn’t get Klingerized before that happens.