Week 1: Steelers @ Bengals

HoosierCat

If you guys are like me you probably watched a few college games this weekend.  If you did, you might be suicidal from being repeatedly subjected to that directv ad where they had the New Jersey housewives or whoever out there in semi football gear running around against nfl players.  

That’s it.  I can’t help you.  Your brain is probably permanently damaged by this banal, unfunny, offensive, and shrill attempt at humor.  Just accept that the NFL, NCAA football, and their advertisers, will purposefully hurt you just for fun.  Enjoy Dr Pepper fansville (brutally unfunny, painful) and the insurance gecko (stale to the third power).  

3 hours ago, Stripes said:

That's what I wanted. Trubisky isn't a complete dud and is capable of a big game here or there. I have a feeling this Bengals defense is going to eat him though.

They should but you know how this team is. Rookie/journeyman QBs always seem to torch us. We ought to blow Pitt out but it will probably come down to McMoney from 60 yards out at the gun.

While Trubisky will never approach HOF status like Ben.   Ben has been complete ass vs. the Bengals the last several meetings.      He'll make them more athletic at the spot and they have a strong skill position group.      The D has to own them up front and hopefully Burrow and Co. put scoring pressure on them.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

They should but you know how this team is. Rookie/journeyman QBs always seem to torch us. We ought to blow Pitt out but it will probably come down to McMoney from 60 yards out at the gun.

It's a Pittsburgh game, it will probably take 10 more years of domination to completely erase the echoes of the past for me.  Always going to have butterflies and an expectation in the back of my mind that something is going to go wrong.

• Like 1

Fans carry the rivalry's baggage.   Players just look at it from a competition standpoint.     3 wins in a row is nothing to the Bengals fan base but most of lockeroom only knows beating the Steelers and the Steelers being a fringe wild card team. 

So we'll see.   One of the beat reporters was reporting the attitude is focus and completely different from Marvin era.   That group only knew beat downs and was constantly trying to climb that ladder while the Steelers were legit top AFC/Superbowl contenders. 

We'll see but probably a good thing since Marvin led teams even at time they equal or better talent choked vs. the Steelers. 

I have been spooked about this game since the day it landed on the schedule.  I don't think this Pittsburgh team will rank among their great or even good teams at year's end.    Tomlin has a knack of being competitive.    They had key players playing in 2nd quarter of preseason games.     While that may not suit them later in the year, this is week 1.    Bengals have been club med in TC.

That could be the key factor in the game.   4 new starters on the O-line while seen as an upgrade it still takes time to gel.     That's the biggest key to me.   Are the Bengals ready to be physical up front on both sides.   On paper they should win those battles.

With the lessened emphasis on training camp and preseason.  I really wish NFL would shelve division games til at least week 3 if at all possible. 

I could easily see Tomlin like last year pushing all the chips in week 1 to rally a sub par team to push for the 7 seed or minor winning record.

I don't think any of it matters.  This isn't Marvin Lewis and Andy Dalton we are all accustomed to around here.
I'm still dead serious in calling for a big Bengals win at home to open the season.

Trubiskey is of little (see no) concern for me.  The guy just isn't that good in my opinion.
Yes, they have some interesting skill players, but I think our d-line wins in that trench.
They have some defensive players as well, but it won't be enough.

The Bengals have had plenty of time to prepare and gel in practice as opposed to 4 series through the preseason.
They aren't coming into the season banged up and again, I just don't see THIS Bengals team letting down their guard.
CAN'T WAIT FOR SUNDAY !!!

I don't think it's remotely in doubt that the Bengals are the better team, so there's really no excuse to lose your home opener here. Pittsburgh can win, in the same way that any team can win any game and division games are particularly that way. But I don't give a crap about any historical trends, about the perception that the Bengals are especially bad against mediocre QBs (Mike White happens to every franchise sometimes), or about the successful aura of the Steelers' brand.

The Bengals have beaten them three times in a row, by 10 points and then 14 points and then 31 points. Anything less than a fourth straight win (by any margin) would be unacceptable to me. These are the AFC champions, and there's no reason this season needs to be like 1989.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Stripes said:

I don't think it's remotely in doubt that the Bengals are the better team, so there's really no excuse to lose your home opener here. Pittsburgh can win, in the same way that any team can win any game and division games are particularly that way. But I don't give a crap about any historical trends, about the perception that the Bengals are especially bad against mediocre QBs (Mike White happens to every franchise sometimes), or about the successful aura of the Steelers' brand.

The Bengals have beaten them three times in a row, by 10 points and then 14 points and then 31 points. Anything less than a fourth straight win (by any margin) would be unacceptable to me. These are the AFC champions, and there's no reason this season needs to be like 1989.

Exactly.

Well, as far as I can tell, the “Steelers will win” narrative is built around Burrow not being 100% (surgery and subsequent weight loss), interior oline not being much improved (so Steelers dline will eat, stuff the run) and something something Trubisky something something Tomlin genius something something Steelers rule Bengals drool.

It’s all not very convincing.

If I had to envision a scenario in which they get into trouble, it would probably be Burrow still working his way back and Taylor trying to protect him, e.g. this turns into the Bears game from last year. All we’ve seen says Joe is fine and rarin’ to go so I’m not expecting that.