Round 3 (95): Zach Carter, DL, Florida

HoosierCat

5 minutes ago, Stripes said:

The pass rush will receive [hopefully] a boost from at least three new sources, one of which is often forgotten:

Zach Carter
Joseph Ossai
Wyatt Hubert

Hubert might not make the roster, but we don't actually have a clue yet what he can bring to the table. Maybe he brings something good.

Yep forgot about him.  He’s one of those guys you can’t help but to root for to be good. 

11 minutes ago, COB said:

Mel has to comment on like 200 draft prospects.  He does his best but to come up with something to say, no doubt he ignores a lot of variables.  

I still can never watch Mel without thinking about Irwin Mainway of Mainway Toys.  

I had lots of fun as a kid with the Bag o’ Glass!

• 2 weeks later...

From Dehner's article:

The third round proved more of the same.

“It’s funny because everybody was saying how unpredictable this draft was (going to be) and I thought the same thing,” Potts said. “But when we were looking at our draft board on draft day it was a lot more predictable than we thought it was going to be with the way our board just got decimated in the first two-three rounds.”

The leaguewide consensus was more in tune with the Bengals consensus than in most years.

“There are years you are crossing guys off the fifth-sixth round in rounds 2 or 3,” Radicevic said. “There really wasn’t much of that going on this year. It was a little bit frustrating at times. It ended up working out we got players in each round we had high grades on consistently.”

Left for the Bengals in the third round was Florida defensive lineman Zachary Carter. He wasn’t the most high-profile player available, and many pundits graded him down the board, but the Bengals didn’t and entered the weekend looking for pass rush. Specifically, looking for interior pass rush. They targeted players with a hybrid size-speed skill set to offer versatility at edge and 3-technique for defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo.

Carter was one of the last impact players of the type left standing.

“Maybe if there were five guys we felt good about we would have said hey, let’s roll the dice, maybe he’ll be there a round later,” Potts said. “We just didn’t think it was worth the risk. We didn’t feel strongly enough they would be.”

At least, not one with the potential they saw in Carter.

“You really just see the upside with him,” Radicevic said.

He also saw twitch and quickness of the snap that led to 13 sacks and 20.5 tackles for loss the past two seasons playing in the SEC. Potts, who also has a focus on the SEC as a coverage area, sees even more.

“Carter was 282 (pounds) at the combine,” Potts said. “From our scouts, myself included, that went through there, he’s been up at 290. We think he can add some weight. We think he can potentially be a three-down player as a 3-technique. But for now, it’s a matter of where Lou sees him and wants to play him on run downs. He definitely can play on the edge and set an edge and play the run for sure and give some pass rush off the edge as well.”

18 minutes ago, membengal said:

Again, regardless of my feelings about the pick, I will be rooting hard for this dude to be super successful with the team.
How about getting a bunch of sacks from the interior and becoming the "Z-Monster", putting QB's to sleep.
Nothing but luck to the dude !!!

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 4:51 PM, GapControl said:

Yep forgot about him.  He’s one of those guys you can’t help but to root for to be good. 

Really hope Ossai stays healthy and is the real deal: 

"In the Bengals' first preseason game, Ossai showed why he was a potential steal in the third round, putting up seven pressures and two run stops and a sack of Tom Brady. Ossai would finish the week as PFF's third-highest graded rookie, finishing behind only Patrick Surtain II and Mac Jones."

https://www.si.com/college/texas/longhorns-in-the-pros/former-longhorn-joseph-ossai-excited-to-return-to-action-for-the-bengals#gid=ci029f2d40500026f8&pid=usatsi_15048765

• 3 months later...

I could have sworn I posted a comment about this guy on the day he was taken in round 3

but I dont see it here.  Maybe it is in a "overall draft grade" thread.  If I find that, I will edit in a link to my original comments later

For now, let me say that it would be putting it very very very diplomatically to state that that I hated this pick

...but...

I am definitely prepared to say at this point that I was completely and utterly wrong

I was OK with a DT - I bro-love me some linemen - at this pick, but imo the right pick here was Winfrey, who went a half dozen or so picks later to Cleveland.  Said another way, I would have actually liked the pick had it been Winfrey

So.......Winfrey hasnt shown much so far.  Its early, but nothing so far that I could point to and say "yeah, like I said, Winfrey should have been the pick".  Part of his is due to some injury problems he has been working through.

......so onto Carter......

I have admitted elsewhere that I havent watched any games this preseason.  However, from what I have read and the highlights I have watched, Carter has been.........well.......pretty damn good.  I am not gonna compare him to Geno, especially not at this stage, but damn, he's had some nice plays out there as an interior pass rusher.  

He's done enough already given his third round value to make it impossible for me to claim otherwise.  If I were to guess, he'll get about 35-40 percent of the 3TDT reps and this rotation will help keep BJ Hill fresh.  Moreso than any other second string player, I consider the backup 3TDT spot to be very nearly the equivalent of a starter because of the regular rotation.

Mem, I sure hope you are reading this with a big shit-eating grin on your face.   But please please please be sure you completely de-feather the crow this time before you put it on the grill for me.   

• Like 2