2022 Offseason Roster Notes

HoosierCat

Not too excited Kinda pissed about this less than average TE.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2022/3/17/22983498/hayden-hurst-bengals-news-falcons-rumors-nfl-free-agency-2022

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/hayden-hurst/47294?season=2020

I pray to god he is on a near vet min contract.

if they spent real dollars on this ham and egger practice squad candidate Im gonna be pissed

Yes I know he was a 1st rounder

Yes I know he was good in 2019

Yes I know his QB situation has been questionable at best

"If the Bengals can get the Hurst we saw in Baltimore " thats a big if, Sheeran :-)

I don't really have an issue with Hurst depending on the price.

He wasn't good in 2019 really.  It was 2020 after he went to Atlanta and started getting the lion's share of TE target.
Then they added Pitts in 2021 and his targets were cutting more than in half.

Those first two seasons of his were with Jackson in Baltimore before he learned he could throw the ball and not just run.
The ceiling on this guy is through the roof and he's more than capable of eating up that small 15% target share from the TE position.

Dare I say he might actually have a very productive year here in Cincinnati ??

• Like 1

Pleased.  I love adding former top 150 picks.    He has 1 less career TD than CJ and still caught more TDs last year than Kyle Pitts despite playing 4 less games.   Probably a better athlete than CJ.   Will fit nicely in his role as more of "move" TE.  Blocking will still fall on Sample.

I think he could match CJ's production and could be more than that with Burrow at the helm.    Burrow really elevated CJ's game. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stripes said:

Neither pleased nor displeased; it's okay to get a body in here after losing CJ. I hope he isn't the 2022 starter though, or TE is a genuine weakness. Plenty of time for that to change.

He's going to be more than just a body.   He can match and probably surpass what CJ did with Burrow.   

17 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I don't really have an issue with Hurst depending on the price.

He wasn't good in 2019 really.  It was 2020 after he went to Atlanta and started getting the lion's share of TE target.
Then they added Pitts in 2021 and his targets were cutting more than in half.

Those first two seasons of his were with Jackson in Baltimore before he learned he could throw the ball and not just run.
The ceiling on this guy is through the roof and he's more than capable of eating up that small 15% target share from the TE position.

Dare I say he might actually have a very productive year here in Cincinnati ??

can he block?

(keep in mind my "fewer hits on New Guy" offseason theme)

55 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

can he block?

(keep in mind my "fewer hits on New Guy" offseason theme)

That’s why they have Sample. That’s nothing new. This guy is a better athlete than CJ was and I think his career to this point getsndowned due to stats, without looking at why they happened.

Easy to forget how poor of a passer Lamar Jackson was in Baltimore those first two seasons that Hurst went through with him. He moves on to Atlanta and Matt Ryan and has his best season. Then the Falcons added Pitts in 2021 and reduce Hurst’s workload by better than 50%.

I would place a bet on him having a career year in this offense with Burrow throwing him the ball.

23 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

I will feel a lot better when Cappa signs

Same. It ain’t over til it’s over. Case in point from Rapoport:

Plot twist: Former #Packers pass-rusher Za'Darius Smith is not signing his deal with the #Ravens after all, sources say. He remains a free agent.

4 hours ago, TJJackson said:

Not too excited Kinda pissed about this less than average TE.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2022/3/17/22983498/hayden-hurst-bengals-news-falcons-rumors-nfl-free-agency-2022

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/hayden-hurst/47294?season=2020

I pray to god he is on a near vet min contract.

if they spent real dollars on this ham and egger practice squad candidate Im gonna be pissed

Yes I know he was a 1st rounder

Yes I know he was good in 2019

Yes I know his QB situation has been questionable at best

"If the Bengals can get the Hurst we saw in Baltimore " thats a big if, Sheeran :-)

Trust the process....Tobin has been very good at finding these diamonds in the rough.  I loved the kid coming out of college

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

Trust the process....Tobin has been very good at finding these diamonds in the rough.  I loved the kid coming out of college

Exactly.  He’s a proven athlete that can catch playing with superior athletes and a top QB;  he will put up numbers.