2022 Offseason Roster Notes

HoosierCat

45 minutes ago, membengal said:

Restructuring doesn’t piss vets off - usually gets them more money to do so.

Yeah. It would just be taking his salary and converting it to a bonus. So he gets it all at once is the only difference.

An extension is also an option tho that doesn’t get you as much space.

A restructure that won’t piss vets off generally isn’t pursued by the Bengals if it pushes cap dollars into future caps.  

They probably don’t need to go cash over cap for another couple offseasons.  But when Burrow, Higgins and Chase deals come up it’s probably something they’ll have to change. 

I think my disappointment in the loss Sunday had some to do with that fact.
The window to win with this group of players is small in my opinion due to that fact.
It can't be forgotten that BOTH Higgins and Boyd will be UFA's in 2024 with what will be a massive deal for Chase hanging in the balance.

Maybe Boyd is the odd man out at that point, but Higgins and Chase will cost a ton by themselves.
Thinking positive thoughts though.

The cap just took a big jump this year and is set to do so again in 2023 when new TV money kicks in. Just as an example right now the Bengals are projected to have nearly $150 million in cap space next year. Yeah, they can keep anyone and everyone they want.

They won’t, because they’ll whine about cash on hand and cheap out on guaranteed coin, but those are decisions, not some impartial force of cap math.

IMO, this season validated a lot of what the Brown family has been doing the past 19 seasons or since the hiring of Marvin.    I think many people including the organization played the "Mike Brown" or "Bungles" card for Marvin and really never held him accountable.     They do the same with Carson Palmer.    Any lack of success was well.....its the Bungles they are doing the best they can. 

Boom....enter a coach that can prepare his team and a QB that doesn't melt under pressure and they take an incomplete roster to the Superbowl.  

If you look at the Brown family from 2003 and beyond.  They have 8 playoffs seasons.  5 division titles.  1 conference championship.    A solid 3rd behind Ravens and Steelers.   So there is a lot of work to do but at the same time this "cheap" or "bungling" doesn't really hold any water.   Like its the most ridiculous thing that can be stated when you view it to the most relevant results. 

If you get a roster like they built via 2013-2015 with Burrow and Zac you'll have a realistic shot at 13,14,15,16 regular season wins.   With what we know as fact, I see no reason to believe the other direction is coming. 

Be prepared for the moving of goal posts.   All of sudden winning 1 conference championship will be considered ruining Burrow.    You listen to some of these hot takes about the O-line and it appears everyone outside of Cincy is trying to talk Burrow out of Cincy. 

When it comes to this off season they may not do everything desired but I think they will be doing what they think will bring them back to the Superbowl.  Why would they suddenly stop after 19 years of constantly trying to improve? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Love how Twitter now requires you to have an account even to simply review information.

Simple, I just won't read it.  Problem solved.
Social media is the absolute WORST.
It's not because I'm old either.

People no longer have lives outside of it.

Yeah, that really grinds my gears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q685Ko2DHDs

Bengals' have roughly the 4th most room under the cap. There are no excuses for not stepping-up again and getting Burrow the protection he needs, as well as keep the defense intact and improving it. 

Get the best FA OT or G/C and move Jonah if you have to.  Guys will want to play here now in this window.  Get a top FA lineman, period, maybe 2 of them if they can afford it, but just concentrate on adding a stalwart, Pro-Bowl caliber lineman, then get another one from the draft, then sign one or two that are upgrades to what they have.

They need to address depth as well as the lack of talent on the o-line, the entire off-season should be built around re-shaping that line, even if it means new position coaches too.  I know this is all obvious shit, but to even focus on anything other than keeping and improving the defense and re-building the line in one off-season is futile.

In fact the only "skill player" I'd like to see in the draft is either a RB compliment to Mixon or another pass-catching TE playmaker.  But I know how hard that will be for Mike Brown not to use at least 2 picks on a RB or WR in the first 3 rounds. :)

8 minutes ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

There are no excuses for not stepping-up

Shula, you of all people here should know that in Cincy, there are always excuses. Excuses are what this FO does best. From cash over cap to cash on hand to guaranteed coin to the rookie pool and the injury pad -- and more -- excuses are this team's most prolific output.

11 minutes ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Get the best FA OT or G/C and move Jonah if you have to. 

I would, you would, them? Good luck with that. I see a lot of Bengals twitter getting juiced up about signing Terron Armstead. They're just setting themselves up for disappointment.

My expectation is that they will look for a couple more Riley Reiff types post-draft. Vets who get cut because their team drafted new players but still have some tread left on the tires. Maaaaybe they sign a mid-tier OL in March. That would be the most I'd bet on.

I would love, love, love to be wrong.

16 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

Fucking Zak Taylor already talking about ignoring the OL

"they were good enough"

no they fucking werent, you fucking dumbass

TJ -wtaf. He wasn't going to stand up there and throw players under the bus. Jesus. Think about it. 

13 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Oh geezus fukkin kayrist, TJ, what did you expect him to say? You think he's going to throw the oline under the bus right now? Chill out.

LOL. Should have read on. I typed the same damn thing, really. 

• Like 1

They signed Reiff. he got hurt but played well before he got hurt.

They signed Spain. He was fine all year. They drafted for RG. They missed there.

I push back and flat reject your assertion on them doing "very little" last year. What they did, in fact, was enough to get to a Super Bowl. Now, time to do more. 

• Like 1

lol, the OL troll out early again this off season.

Bengals aren't in the Superbowl with the common path suggested last year.

Sign Thuney mega deal.  Draft Sewell over Chase.   Give it a rest already.   

First, the Bengals did not ignore the line.   Second the line improved. Most importantly the overall team improved.

They proved a lot of people wrong.   Live with it and change your wrong viewpoint or better yet don't so we can have a nice laugh.

well Mem, if that was a lot, I need them to do a MEGA SHIT TON this coming offseason

to me, the GIMME A LINEMAN guy, the above was very damn little.....

On a related note, I am certain these guys are professional and know they need to get better as a group.  If I was one of them, I'd call the rest of them up and self organize voluntary offseason drills, film-watching sessions, and lifting sessions.  Not right this moment....yeah, take a couple of weeks off.  Maybe even 3.   But then, get to work.  Is it team or league sanctioned?  absolutely not, but one can do as they wish when they're off the clock.  Is this a dream?  Sure, but this is a internet forum, and dreams are the stuff of discussion here since the outset of this website

5 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Shula, you of all people here should know that in Cincy, there are always excuses. Excuses are what this FO does best. From cash over cap to cash on hand to guaranteed coin to the rookie pool and the injury pad -- and more -- excuses are this team's most prolific output.

I would, you would, them? Good luck with that. I see a lot of Bengals twitter getting juiced up about signing Terron Armstead. They're just setting themselves up for disappointment.

My expectation is that they will look for a couple more Riley Reiff types post-draft. Vets who get cut because their team drafted new players but still have some tread left on the tires. Maaaaybe they sign a mid-tier OL in March. That would be the most I'd bet on.

I would love, love, love to be wrong.

What the hell are you doing man ??  You should know better at this point.
I fixed it for you above as not to bring about your untimely passing.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TJJackson said:

.  If I was one of them, I'd call the rest of them up and self organize voluntary offseason drills, film-watching sessions, and lifting sessions. 

One of them might have their own universal machine in their garage, and hopefully they’ll all get together and bench on it.  JK, I’d expect most of our o-line will be scattered about, different cities in the off-season.