AFC Championship Weekend: Bengals @ Chiefs

HoosierCat

45 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

I'm still not sold on Zac as a playcaller and game planner. I mean, all the pointless first down runs Sunday nearly gave me an aneurysm. He and Callahan are getting better but it's still kind of hit or miss, especially in first halves.

That said, he's amply proven he and his staff have an eye for talent, a clear idea of the type of team they want to build, and Taylor himself is by all accounts beloved by his players and has total locker room buy-in. And if he wins his next game, he will instantly become the greatest Bengals coach in history and the citizens of Cincinnati will probably overthrows the mayor and the council and install him as King for Life.

I'm sold.   The 2nd half TD drive.    He got Chase 1v1 via formation that resulted in a completion down to the 10 yard line.   Then once again 1v1 for the TD.  Rome during broadcast at one point commented something like "they found away to get him 1v1"

15 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

I'm sold.   The 2nd half TD drive.    He got Chase 1v1 via formation that resulted in a completion down to the 10 yard line.   Then once again 1v1 for the TD.  Rome during broadcast at one point commented something like "they found away to get him 1v1"

No argument there, his work after halftime all season has been very good. It's the other half of the game that's the challenge. It seems like if you ask Taylor to make snap adjustments after seeing a few of the opposition's drives, he's a whiz. But not so much when he's got a week to plan things out. Given that my guess would be that he and/or Callahan are just overthinking it during the week. And I know a lot of people that do that, including myself. Drop something on my desk at 10 that absolutely has to be done by noon and I'll knock it out of the park. Give me something due in two weeks and all too often I'll tweak and fiddle with and edit it half to death. 

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

No argument there, his work after halftime all season has been very good. It's the other half of the game that's the challenge. It seems like if you ask Taylor to make snap adjustments after seeing a few of the opposition's drives, he's a whiz. But not so much when he's got a week to plan things out. Given that my guess would be that he and/or Callahan are just overthinking it during the week. And I know a lot of people that do that, including myself. Drop something on my desk at 10 that absolutely has to be done by noon and I'll knock it out of the park. Give me something due in two weeks and all too often I'll tweak and fiddle with and edit it half to death. 

There's merit to the slow starts but ultimately there's a bottom 10 offensive line to deal with too.    I honestly think teams know how to slow down Burrow and the offense (rush 4 and play coverage) they just can't completely stop it.   Eventually Burrow makes a play and Zach has a couple great calls or adjustments.

It helps to be winning the TO battle as well this post season.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 10:47 AM, membengal said:

were the pointless first down runs an effort to shorten the game and protect the line and burrow some? Dunno. But it has crossed my mind that ZT can't do that what he wants to do on offense until line gets fixed and everything up to now is a compromise.

Those runs set up Mixon in the fourth and OT for his big time runs.  Got to run the ball or the D can just T off on the OL.

3 hours ago, Stripes said:

I'm sure it's been a brutal fall and winter for everyone's gutters, but Pro Bowl week is a great opportunity to catch up. Clearly we're not watching this crap.

It is terrible fake football but I watched it like a heroin addict takes methadone

On 2/6/2022 at 6:54 PM, Wraith said:

It is terrible fake football but I watched it like a heroin addict takes methadone

I know what you mean! I fiend so badly for football I've been reduced at times to watching home video HS games. The pro bowl is total shit but it's a bunch of guys chasing a pigskin so...