Week 18: Bengals @ Browns

HoosierCat

I still hope Cleveland loses tonight. They’re eliminated from the playoffs, but a winning season is still in play if they win out. 9-8 might not sound like much, but the Browns know better than anyone how precious even just a winning record can be. I think they’d play harder for that next week if it’s available to them.

8-9 and 7-10 are basically the same thing though.

43 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

If you scroll up to the top of the bengals forum page there’s a button labeled “start new topic”… :)

We have an order to these things! And you are that guy for game week threads!

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

Nice to watch a Browns and Steelers game without caring about what it means for Cincy.

Not sure how anyone could watch this game and care about anything. Pretty sure if they launched the nukes right now I'd feel too apathetic to roll off my couch and onto the floor.

• Like 1

I sure hope this is no one's first football game. Imagine trying to convince your significant other that football is actually great and then having her stare at you through three quarters of whatever the fuck this is. 

• Like 1

Beginning of this season: The AFC North has 3 very good quarterbacks and a 4th, Burrow, who is developing into one.

End of season:  Ben’s a straight up bum, Lamar is inconsistent and injury prone, Mayfield has completely lost it and is the reason a good roster can’t win, and finally, Joe Burrow got his teeth fixed and has turned into fucking Godzilla.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, COB said:

Beginning of this season: The AFC North has 3 very good quarterbacks and a 4th, Burrow, who is developing into one.

End of season:  Ben’s a straight up bum, Lamar is inconsistent and injury prone, Mayfield has completely lost it and is the reason a good roster can’t win, and finally, Joe Burrow got his teeth fixed and has turned into fucking Godzilla.

The talking heads never get it wrong. They are the experts after all. 

Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield confirmed Monday night he will be having offseason surgery to repair the torn labrum in his non-throwing left shoulder, an injury he has played through since Week 2.

With the Browns already eliminated from playoff contention, Mayfield also didn't rule out sitting for Cleveland's final game on Sunday against the visiting Cincinnati Bengals, but he said he would be conferring with his agent and family before making that decision.

"I'm an extremely competitive guy," Mayfield said following Cleveland's 26-14 loss at the Pittsburgh Steelers on Monday Night Football. "Now it's time for me to start looking at what's in the best interest of me and my health."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32989903/cleveland-browns-qb-baker-mayfield-confirms-shoulder-surgery-says-discussion-had-status-week-18

Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield wasn’t happy with his team’s offensive approach as the Steelers were beating them 26-14.

In particular, he thought that the scheme failed to help rookie right tackle James Hudson against outside linebacker T.J. Watt. The All-Pro pass rusher had four sacks on the night.

“Obviously, their front’s pretty good. It has been for years,” Mayfield said after the game. “But when you got T.J. Watt over there and not giving our rookie tackle a whole lot of help, that’s not going to be good for him.”

Mayfield didn’t seem thrilled with how the team failed to adjust as the game was going along either. 

“Just a matter of looking at the game plan and what we like. Seeing if some of those plays are adjustable to bring a little extra help; chipping him or staying people in protection,” Mayfield said. “So just discussions on the fly. This is the NFL. You have to be able to adapt mid game. And, we didn’t do a good enough job.”

Surely this will endear Baker to his coaches.

https://triblive.com/sports/first-call-antonio-browns-surprising-message-about-ben-roethlisberger-baker-mayfields-complaints-after-loss-to-steelers/

13 hours ago, membengal said:

We have an order to these things! And you are that guy for game week threads!

Yeah.  NOBODY do anything different at this point in the season.   Everything is going good.   

I trust everyone is still wearing the same underwear from Sunday. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, COB said:

Things turn quickly in the NFL.   Isn't it like 4 new playoff teams each year? 

59 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Damn Baker talking his way out of Cleveland.   We need to sit everyone next week and let him throw for 500 yards so they give him that $40mil a year contract.

All the possible permutations for seeding:

No. 1 seed: There are two ways the Bengals can climb to the No. 1 seed and earn home-field advantage throughout the playoffs. Both scenarios require a Bengals win (at Cleveland), a Titans loss (at Houston) and a Chiefs loss (at Denver). On top of that, the Bengals would need either a Bills win (vs New York Jets) or a Patriots loss (at Miami).

No. 2 seed: A Bengals win, a Titans loss, a Chiefs loss, a Bills loss and a Patriots win would put Cincinnati at No. 2. They would also land the No. 2 seed if they win, the Bills win or Patriots lose and one of the Chiefs or Titans lose while the other wins.

No. 3 seed: The Bengals currently sit as the No. 3 seed. But just a win would not ensure them of staying there. A Buffalo win or New England loss would, however. They would also end up as the No. 3 seed even if New England wins the AFC East if either Tennessee or Kansas City loses. Even with a loss, the Bengals can still land the No. 3 seed if both Buffalo and New England lose and the Bills win the AFC East at 10-7.

No. 4 seed:  If the Bengals, Titans, Chiefs and Patriots all win and the Bills lose, Cincinnati lands the No. 4 seed. If the Bengals lose, they can be no higher than No. 3 and either a Bills win or a Patriots win and a Bills loss would drop the Bengals to No. 4.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/lists/bengals-afc-playoffs-clinching-seeds-scenarios-week-18/