Week 10: Bengals @ Bye

HoosierCat

So, after the bye it's Raiders, Steelers, Chargers, Niners.

I note this because these will be games 42 through 45 coached by Zac.

In 45 total games as a head coach in Cincinnati, Dick LeBeau won 12. So far, Zac has won 11.

Do we think Zac can win two of the next four to beat LeBeau? Or even one to tie?

Right now I dunno man. Just don't know.

38 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Right now I dunno man. Just don't know.

I was about to say that I don't know who this team is.  I thought after the Baltimore game, we had finally figured that out.
Then the Jets and Browns happened.  Now I don't think this team is who I thought they were and that's not good.

I guess you could say this wasn't a playoff team at the beginning of the season, so maybe they are who we thought?

I fucking hate how confusing these guys are, but maybe none of us should find this surprising...

• Like 1

I hate to say this, but you gotta wonder if Burrow is being Bengalized,  12 hits yesterday, 5 more sacks...if he makes it through the year in one piece I will be surprised.  Glad he's got an extra week to rest. Everyone knew they didn't do enough to improve the 0-line, and well whattya know.  Taylor's over-confidence in below-average lineman is an odd thing.

15 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I was about to say that I don't know who this team is.  I thought after the Baltimore game, we had finally figured that out.
Then the Jets and Browns happened.  Now I don't think this team is who I thought they were and that's not good.

I guess you could say this wasn't a playoff team at the beginning of the season, so maybe they are who we thought?

I fucking hate how confusing these guys are, but maybe none of us should find this surprising...

Well, as the cliche goes, you are what your record says you are. And the record says the Bengals are a .500-ish team with — as they are coming off a second straight loss — the arrow pointing down.

The offense makes too many mistakes and is too predictable. The defense has forgotten how to tackle and is getting out-schemed. Players, coaches, they’re all garbage right now. Now they have two weeks to fix it. We’ll see if they have it in them.

This team blew out Baltimore in Baltimore just as it shit its pants at home against Cleveland. It blew out Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh just as it choked in New York.

It’s very easy to say the real Bengals are the ones we saw most recently. Usually though, it’s neither as good nor as bad as it looks.

I have no idea what awaits out of the bye, and I won’t try to guess. This season could go in absolutely any direction — all the way from losing out to winning out — and I wouldn’t be that surprised.

It’s like after the Baltimore game they got so cocky, they figured nothing could stop them. After that game, they are not making the plays they should to win games, they can’t even do the simple things anymore. Burrow throwing into double coverage, guys not catching the ball, Boyd is on vacation somewhere, the o-line is a complete joke!! 

Defense is the worst though a top 10 defense that just fell apart, but why???? Is Lou game plan that bad, have they even blitzed much in the last two weeks? In Baltimore I remember him blitzing, guys getting off the ball and pushing, where the hell did the pressure go? 

Im more worried that this coaching staff is not good enough for Burrow, I really do think there is talent around him, but they forgot to build a o-line to protect him. I keep wondering are they wasting his best years here? Did they give him enough to win, and win in the playoffs. I like the skill guys, but where is the o-line, I think they have been looking for it since 2005. 

Somebody needs to step up in this org. and figure out what is best for Joe to succeed, and do it quickly. 

1 hour ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Taylor's over-confidence in below-average lineman is an odd thing.

It’s odd yes, but it is also a Bengals thing.  Alexander was absolutely enthralled with guys who could not play.  He saw something in them, and could never unsee it.  

I’m pretty happy with the o-line’s play considering the talent there.  If they can keep the o-line coach and bring in a couple more FA this off-season, they’ll be above average next year.  And above average will be good enough with the skill players we have.

• Like 1

It's not like we have the football market cornered in needing o-line help.
I look at it as a supply and demand concern.  There are 160 starting o-line spots across the league and not 160 good linemen.
On top of that you have injuries as well.  If there were 160 good o-linemen, Bobby Hart and Cedric Ogbuehi wouldn't still be playing.
I'm happy with what we have to this point and am sure the team will continue to add when it can. Yeah Frank Pollack !!

Not like they are going to find a quality starting o-lineman on the street at this point.

• Like 1

Hobs on the site today:

There's also concern that second-year linebacker Akeem Davis-Gaither, another top teams player and a guy that had been getting the most defensive snaps of his career, is going to be out for the year with a foot injury. Taylor says he'll know more later and they're hoping it's not as severe as feared. Markus Bailey, another backer from that 2020 draft class, would be the next man up.

Gaither's loss will hurt a bit.  Not much else behind him, maybe Bailey can do something.  And WTF happened to Hodge? They can't find a way to use him with this defense? Time to do something different at least.

Is there no one better than Eli Apple on the outside as well? I know Philips has been disappointing this year, but is he any worse? 

Looks like Carman got demoted for Adenji.  That or it's an injury thing. 

On 11/8/2021 at 12:21 PM, HoosierCat said:

Well, as the cliche goes, you are what your record says you are. And the record says the Bengals are a .500-ish team with — as they are coming off a second straight loss — the arrow pointing down.

The offense makes too many mistakes and is too predictable. The defense has forgotten how to tackle and is getting out-schemed. Players, coaches, they’re all garbage right now. Now they have two weeks to fix it. We’ll see if they have it in them.

The record also says that they are a contender for a AFC playoff spot.   7-10 seeds all have same record.   Seeds 3-6 are 1 loss better.

The differences in bye weeks AND half baked tie breakers is the only thing separating 8 teams for 5 spots.

The top 2 seeds are  up 2 in the loss column.  Bengals have beaten one and have a home game against them.

There are 11 teams for 7 spots right now in the AFC.  This is the way the league is designed to work.   Parity.

5 AFC teams are probably done already. 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 12:15 PM, ShulaSteakhouse said:

I hate to say this, but you gotta wonder if Burrow is being Bengalized,  12 hits yesterday, 5 more sacks...if he makes it through the year in one piece I will be surprised.  Glad he's got an extra week to rest. Everyone knew they didn't do enough to improve the 0-line, and well whattya know.  Taylor's over-confidence in below-average lineman is an odd thing.

Baker has the best O-line in division with the Best O-line coach.  Great running game.

QB still going to have to have shoulder surgery from being hit. Already missed a start.

Do you really think Burrow is that weak minded?   He has the probably the 2nd best O-line situation in the AFC North and probably top half in the AFC. 

Burrow is the exact opposite of what you suggest.  He holds the ball looking for big plays.  It also seems like he relishes when teams blitz him.

12 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Looks like Carman got demoted for Adenji.  That or it's an injury thing. 

Zac E. Coyote, super-genius, yesterday:

Taylor isn't ruling out Jackson Carman, the second-round rookie who started five games before they moved in Adeniji. "We've got confidence in Jackson," Taylor said. It's just right now we're going to take a peek at Hakeem and see if he can build off this performance.

So yeah, basically it’s just preseason in November. Gonna take a little peek, see what we got…

Burrow has been sacked 25 times and a buttload of pressures to go along with that.
They need to be trying to get the most out of their players and I have no issue with them looking at Adeniji.
Carmen is an OT that has been getting reps at OG.  Growing pains should be expected with the rookie.
God knows he's not beating out Williams or Reiff, so this is where we are.

When Burrow isn't in the top 5 of taking the most sacks in the league, they can stop "taking peeks".