Bengals related Seasonal Affective Disorder

Wraith

So after that complete debacle of a game last Sunday I have found myself in a funk all week.  I haven't found it in myself to do or say anything Bengals related.  The previous week I could not get enough....

Anyone else feel this way or am I a complete doofus?  I admit to feeling rather stupid that my emotional health is tied to something as insignificant as a football team.

• Like 1

I was extremely pumped up before the Jets game and the loss stuck with me for a couple of days.
Not because I have poor mental health (I do), but because I was just disappointed in the team and they blew an opportunity.

I moved on after those couple days, but have yet to get as much into the game this week.  No worries however.
I'm sure as I watch the game tonight, I will get back into football for the coming weekend.

Thursday night football, Friday is high school playoffs, Saturday is watching my Buckeyes, and then the Bengals Sunday.
I'll be ready to go and looking forward to seeing how the team responds to that stupid loss.

LET'S GO BENGALS !!!

I’m mostly over it, but we’re still kind of stuck in some measure of funk until they can play another game.

If they can beat Cleveland and get to 6-3 at 3-0 in the division, I won’t care much about the Jets game anymore. The true damage done by that mess remains unknown.

Other team gets paid too.   Its hard to win 3 in a row in general in the NFL and especially 3 in a row on the road.   Loss didn't really bother me other than failure to knock off a good achievement of bucking NFL trends.

Competition for playoff spots in the division and AFC will have these set backs too. 

I try not to get too high when they do good so I won't get too low when, inevitably, they faceplant.

I must say I have been enjoying the ongoing OBJ follies in Cleveland.

Also, I just want to get this straight: Aaron Rodgers declined to get vaccinated, instead claiming he had been "immunized" after following a homeopathic routine (which means he drank water, basically). This was not accepted by either the NFL or player's association as equal to being vaccinated. Yet he flouted all protocols until finally testing positive this week and getting knocked out of the game Sunday. The Packers knew he was lying. The NFLPA knew he was lying. The NFL knew he was lying. And yet nothing as done for half the season. Do I have this right?

I guess when you are one of the league's golden boys everyone covers for your dumb ass.

1 minute ago, HoosierCat said:

I try not to get too high when they do good so I won't get too low when, inevitably, they faceplant.

Also, I just want to get this straight: Aaron Rodgers declined to get vaccinated, instead claiming he had been "immunized" after following a homeopathic routine (which means he drank water, basically). This was not accepted by either the NFL or player's association as equal to being vaccinated. Yet he flouted all protocols until finally testing positive this week and getting knocked out of the game Sunday. The Packers knew he was lying. The NFLPA knew he was lying. The NFL knew he was lying. And yet nothing as done for half the season. Do I have this right?

I guess when you are one of the league's golden boys everyone covers for your dumb ass.

Pretty much correct....the whole thing combined with the crybaby routine at the start of the season has crafted an image for me of an insanely entitled crybaby who gets by on his prodigious talent but is basically a terrible human being.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Rodgers is an arrogant, condescending butthead, even more so than Brady, but, reluctantly, giving credit where credit is due, at least Brady can back it up with 7 rings!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gregcook68 said:

Look at it this way.

This franchise lost 3 games by 9 points.

Even as shaky as the defense game plan was last week against the Jets, in those 3 losses, without some bonehead penalties, erratic wind, and some very shady penalty calls, they could easily be 8-0!

It really comes down to three plays.

Vs. Chi... Burrow's pick 6

Vs. GB... Doink.

Vs. NYJ... Not getting pts 1st and goal from the 1

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

It really comes down to three plays.

Vs. Chi... Burrow's pick 6

Vs. GB... Doink.

Vs. NYJ... Not getting pts 1st and goal from the 1

Many scenarios in these games could be alluded to, but one thing I do agree with was the point Simmons made about Evan's two missed kicks with GB.

He said he was concerned with the wind BEFORE the game, and even though he wished Evan had NOT missed, after the game he wasn't concerned at all about a rookie missing 2 kicks, when a 15 year veteran misses 4 on the other team in the same game.

26 minutes ago, gregcook68 said:

Many scenarios in these games could be alluded to, but one thing I do agree with was the point Simmons made about Evan's two missed kicks with GB.

He said he was concerned with the wind BEFORE the game, and even though he wished Evan had NOT missed, after the game he wasn't concerned at all about a rookie missing 2 kicks, when a 15 year veteran misses 4 on the other team in the same game.

I agree not concerned about McPherson in the slightest.  That said, if either kick were 6 inches (left or right respectively) that game would be in the win column.  My point in mentioning this is to demonstrate how close we have been in all three losses

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

I agree not concerned about McPherson in the slightest.  That said, if either kick were 6 inches (left or right respectively) that game would be in the win column.  My point in mentioning this is to demonstrate how close we have been in all three losses

EXACTLY!  These last 9 games will prove the pudding good or bad.

Pretty cool piece from Ben Baby yesterday, not sure I saw it posted:

https://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/33472/he-gives-us-everything-that-we-need-meet-the-cincinnati-bengals-one-man-analytics-department

We've heard a few times about the Bengals' analytics guru that has some role to play in Taylor's decision making, e.g., when to go for it on 4th down. I had no idea of any of the specifics though, or even the guy's name. He was hired younger than Burrow. I like to get that fresh, young take on things when so many people have decades-old notions of "conventional wisdom" that are often complete bullshit. I have no idea if he is doing the job well, but I like that the FO brought him in when Zac suggested at least one person was needed in the role.

• Like 1

This has been me for years now, after 2015/2016 playoff debacle I found myself so upset I just didn’t care anymore, I tried every year, but they kept doing dumb things and finding ways to lose. 

I got some hope when Taylor was hired they reeled me back in, only to watch the same boring team I watched the years before. Back to not caring what happened. 

Then Burrow happened well I was right back in, more so then ever! Was all excited until he got hurt, and watching the o-line just being so bad. Well I was back in my funk, the defense sucked, all the players I loved watching years before all wanted out, and my hate for Taylor as head coach was so real.

So on to this year my hopes coming in were not real high, but really enjoyed Chase being the draft pick. On to the games my hopes kept rising, Chicago game sucked, but figured it was guys just getting there football legs back in it. Man the Ravens game threw me through the roof I was so excited, wow Zac turning this around showing me something I have not seen in years. Lou showing me how awesome this defense can be!!! Then the Jets game happened. I have never seen a team so unprepared and so not ready for a football game. A guy named Mike White breaking all sorts of records not even throwing it over 5 yards a pass, what the hell am I watching. I’m back to not knowing who this football team is again, not knowing if Zac is the right guy, does Lou have this defense ready. Will see moving forward here, I’m just hoping these are the right guys, just for once though I want to believe, have my hopes set high, because I know how good this team is. I want them to go into the games they should win and just take care of business. I don’t need them talking all week about how they arrived, just go out and play football and win. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Wraith said:

So after that complete debacle of a game last Sunday I have found myself in a funk all week.  I haven't found it in myself to do or say anything Bengals related.  The previous week I could not get enough....

Anyone else feel this way or am I a complete doofus?  I admit to feeling rather stupid that my emotional health is tied to something as insignificant as a football team.

This is me.  I usually rewatch the game on Wednesday night.  Not only did I not do that, I didn’t watch any highlight shows, didn’t read about it, avoided sports media in general.  I just can’t handle it.  

I have to admit that I did not see having playoff aspirations for this season, but that has changed and since it did, my attitude changed with it.
So when the team loses a game that it should win, it cuts deep.  Can't call yourself a playoff contender while losing to a rookie QB putting up 500 yards.

Yes, it's true the team is a field goal away in each of it's three losses from being 8-0 right now.
But since my attitude has now shifted to "we have a shot at the playoffs", those close losses won't mean anything if they don't make it.

NO MORALE VICTORIES ALLOWED

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I have to admit that I did not see having playoff aspirations for this season, but that has changed and since it did, my attitude changed with it.
So when the team loses a game that it should win, it cuts deep.  Can't call yourself a playoff contender while losing to a rookie QB putting up 500 yards.

Yes, it's true the team is a field goal away in each of it's three losses from being 8-0 right now.
But since my attitude has now shifted to "we have a shot at the playoffs", those close losses won't mean anything if they don't make it.

NO MORALE VICTORIES ALLOWED

MAKING the playoffs and playoff WINS are a step forward, and better, but until a Lombardi resides at PBS, it's not good enough.

I really want them to win a playoff game, but it they "make it" this year, that would be surprising to most everyone.

The thing is, while I always thought the Dalton era teams were good enough to win a playoff game, I never had much faith he would lead them to a Super Bowl.

I do NOT feel that way with Burrow leading this team.  This is going to sound bold, but I really expect to see it sooner rather than later.
I will take the playoffs this year, maybe win one, maybe not, and then more from them from that point forward.

5 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I really want them to win a playoff game, but it they "make it" this year, that would be surprising to most everyone.

The thing is, while I always thought the Dalton era teams were good enough to win a playoff game, I never had much faith he would lead them to a Super Bowl.

I do NOT feel that way with Burrow leading this team.  This is going to sound bold, but I really expect to see it sooner rather than later.
I will take the playoffs this year, maybe win one, maybe not, and then more from them from that point forward.

I agree Burrow is something very special. I thought the same thing with Palmer, and in 2005 I thought that was the year. The defense was not great, but good enough, but man was the offense on fire, with a great o-line to go with it. Palmer gets hurt, and that’s it, next offseason the o-line goes to shit, and they never again build around him and he never gets that chance!

I just don’t want that to be Burrow, he is so special, they have great talent around him, but yet there o-line is still terrible, and still no run game! The defense seems better, but after last week I’m not sure what they have anymore. What about these coaches are they good enough to get it done, are they the right guys. 

I think starting this week against a Browns team that is trying prove they don’t need OBJ to win games, that Mayfield is the QB for them will tell us a lot.