Week 3: Bengals @ Steelers

HoosierCat

11 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

When you depend on 3 cast-off talents as starting interior lineman, you get cast-off results I guess, an injured Qb, and a RB averaging 3.4 ypc (or whatever it currently is).  

It's like a broken record: Owner that doesn't want to pay for interior lineman because he doesn't value them, but almost every other team finds a way to.

On pace to give-up 85 sacks this year. Do they really think Burrow is going to thrive and survive under those conditions for a 2nd year in a row?

What we're seeing is almost no different than last year so far, even with some improved OT play (Williams wasn't very good yesterday though, but he isn't the problem yet).

If Burrow is getting hit 9, 10 times a game again next week, and sacked 4-5 times, then they are going to have real problems this season.  I don't know how they fix that, they don't have the talent, and didn't bother to find any.

gimme

a

lineman

I'd like to see a bit more before I crown the D. I know they're getting a lot of praise for Sunday's effort and it's well-deserved, but there was a definite difference between this D vs. Dalton and the D vs. Fields.

Andy was chewing them up. The first drive went 75 yards in five minutes and ended with a TD. The second drive started at the Bears' 7, and a little over five minutes later Dalton had marched them across midfield to the 37, where he got hurt. After that, with Fields at QB, the Bears offense was almost completely inert, able to generate only a FG the rest of the way and that only because Burrow gave them the ball deep in Bengals territory.

So yeah, one cheer for shutting down a rookie QB for two and a half quarters -- and I mean that seriously; it's not easy to stop anyone, as the long list of noobs and journeymen who've made the Bengals D look like saps over the years attests. But those first two drives are a whole different story.

21 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

I'd like to see a bit more before I crown the D. I know they're getting a lot of praise for Sunday's effort and it's well-deserved, but there was a definite difference between this D vs. Dalton and the D vs. Fields.

Andy was chewing them up. The first drive went 75 yards in five minutes and ended with a TD. The second drive started at the Bears' 7, and a little over five minutes later Dalton had marched them across midfield to the 37, where he got hurt. After that, with Fields at QB, the Bears offense was almost completely inert, able to generate only a FG the rest of the way and that only because Burrow gave them the ball deep in Bengals territory.

So yeah, one cheer for shutting down a rookie QB for two and a half quarters -- and I mean that seriously; it's not easy to stop anyone, as the long list of noobs and journeymen who've made the Bengals D look like saps over the years attests. But those first two drives are a whole different story.

Ok but they also shut down the Vikings which is a much harder task.   I bet Dalvin Cook doesn't have another 61 yard 3.1/ carry day the rest of the season (barring injury)...and that was 5 qtrs.

4 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Ok but they also shut down the Vikings which is a much harder task.   I bet Dalvin Cook doesn't have another 61 yard 3.1/ carry day the rest of the season (barring injury)...and that was 5 qtrs.

Yup, good job there, especially after the way they got run over last season. I’m just not sold right now that they quite as good as their post week 2 ranking suggests. Definitely improved vs last year tho.

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

IMO, Andy was gifted a BS PI call that first drive.    Overall the truth with this defense will be the division games and how they perform.

They have shut down two top RBs.    My biggest worry is 3rd down but you also have a ton of new starters so hopefully they get off the field at higher rate.

KC is about unstoppable so I don't know,  I'm sure yards/points will drop their ranking. 

The litmus test for me is Lamar Jackson they haven't come close to stopping him since he was named starter.    Just a nightmare draft taking Price over him.  Thanks Marv

It's always been that way with Ben.  Him or the organization trying to paint his as this tough as nails guy who plays regardless of the situation and pain.
I personally think he's a bitch with all the whining and that 99% of the time there's nothing wrong with him.

"There goes Big Ben rambling for a 78 yard touchdown scramble after shitting out his liver the night before".

Who cares?