2021 Off-season OTA/Mini-Camp Stuff

membengal

14 hours ago, Dimster28 said:

that is GREAT news

Seems to happen when you target guys who are committed to the game and genuinely want to be great, you can usually see this in how they take care of their bodies and the things they say (for fans).  Burrow, Chase, Higgins, Sample and Boyd are great examples of this, as are Hubbard, Bates, and a few others.  

No Marvin clowns, no f'ing Pac Man idiots, Thurmans' or Burficts here.  We can still question Taylor's track record and his ability to succeed in the NFL as a HC, but I won't criticize him for the type of player he's been bringing in in here.  You aren't going to lose a playoff game because of boneheads doing stupid things, and that's a good thing.

Great write up from Paul Dehner Jr. on Michael Jordan.  It is locked behind the pay wall but the jest of it is the guilt Jordan felt about getting beat by Johnathan Allen to cause Joe's injury and the work he has put in to make it right.  the best part is this bit.

“First thing I did was I apologized to Joe,” Jordan said. “I told him he was not going to hear any more words from me. Just actions. I can tell him I’m going to do better. He doesn’t want to hear that. He wants to see it. I’ll prove what I’m saying and my convictions this upcoming season. Not a whole lot of talking; I’m just going to show it.”

When the text from Jordan dinged Burrow’s phone in the days after the quarterback’s ACL surgery, it went between two players who have known each other since Jordan arrived at Ohio State in 2016. Burrow was a class ahead of Jordan and one of the players he knew best when Burrow arrived in Cincinnati as the No. 1 pick in 2020.

“He really just said thank you, I appreciate it,” Jordan said of Burrow’s reply. “He told me he loved me, and I told him I loved him too. There’s always love between me and Joe Burrow. He’s a great guy — hell of a guy. I just really don’t have anything else to say to him; I just want to show him. That’s all I want to do.”

It is a really good if you have a subscription to the Athletic (and I really encourage that), very much worth reading.

https://theathletic.com/2642752/2021/06/10/i-took-it-really-personal-bengals-guard-michael-jordan-motivated-to-move-past-his-darkest-moment/?source=dailyemail&redirected=1

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wraith said:

Jordan said of Burrow’s reply. “He told me he loved me, and I told him I loved him too. There’s always love between me and Joe Burrow. He’s a great guy — hell of a guy. I just really don’t have anything else to say to him; I just want to show him. That’s all I want to do.”

Joe better not drop the soap!

Top Ten Thursday Sayings

“Nothing screws up your Friday like realizing its Thursday.” — Unknown
“Good morning, Happy Thursday, be someone’s sunshine today.” — Unknown
“Thursday come, and the week’s gone.” — George Herbert
“It’s Thursday. I’m breathing. I’m alive. I’m blessed. God is good.” — Unknown
“Happy Thursday! Pay day is almost here, I can almost taste it.” — Unknown
“In case you have not made any plans for the weekend yet, it is Thursday. Start planning!” — Unknown
“I always give 100% at work: 13% Monday, 22% Tuesday, 26% Wednesday, 35% Thursday, 4% Friday.” — Unknown
“It’s Thursday, think positive and positive things will start happening.” — Unknown
“If I love you Wednesday, What is that to you? I do not love you Thursday – so much is true.” — Edna St. Vincent Millay
“One small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day. Happy Thursday!” — Unknown

On 6/12/2021 at 6:32 PM, TJJackson said:

Lets hope they link up a lot more over the course of the season :-)  

Still very, very VERY worried about the OL providing sufficient protection

again......even considering the rookie wearing 1........for me, the key draftee for 2021 is Carman at ORG

They got the guy they targeted at the right position, they have so much more information at their disposal then we do I just hope that they get this right.  Our recent track record at the position isn't great. Ogbuehi, Fisher, Price etc.

The thing that makes me more confident about this pick is that they had a ton of information on him, HS Coaches locally, Tee Higgins a recent team mate, training with a former Bengals great and a former Bengals Oline coach.  They clearly were all in on this kid, in particular otherwise, they would have taken Jenkins when he dropped, let's just hope the analysis works.

Mandatory mini-camp this week. Altho, since the voluntary OTAs have been pretty much 100 % attendance the last three weeks, it will look much the same.

main difference is the reporters will be able to watch all three days of practices this week - so several days of obs.

starts tomorrow.

Other things that are making me feel at least a little OK about line:

1. An actual off-season of in-person work and teaching (that was a massive blow last year, for certain, to the Bengals and their o-line cohesiveness)

2. A line coach who isn't incompetent

3. Much better depth, leading to legit competition in practice 

4. Reiff appears to be a legit leader - something this line has needed since Whit left. Big improvement.