Jump to content

Counting down until Home Opener

September 11, 2022 vs Pittsburgh Steelers

Game Dey!!!

Coaching changes on staff


membengal
 Share

Recommended Posts

TJ had the si.com piece stuck over on the general board for some reason, but it is now progessed to early word that Turner is one of three already told they will be out after the season. Thank god. Also Nick Eason and another defensive assistant. 

More changes likely too.

Cincinnati Bengals Moving on From Multiple Coaches After Sunday's Season Finale - Sports Illustrated Cincinnati Bengals News, Analysis and More

also, this is INTERESTING (this looks like Katie and Troy for sure - more evidence the old man has stepped back...):

Quote

The front office told Taylor that he needed to make changes to his staff or they would revisit the conversation at a higher level, according to sources.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, the scuttlebutt is that Tobin was Zac’s biggest booster during the coaching search, so he’s basically telling Zac that ownership — Troy, Katie, Mike, whoever — wants changes. That’s a good thing whatever the details.

Sending Turner packing is welcome. Now, they need a good replacement.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will tell you this - "make changes or else" is NOT the usual message from Mike B - nor is that kind of conversation had before the end of the season. More evidence that Katie and Troy have the controls with old man much diminished.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ALSO, dehner on his mid-week pod was adamant that Bobby Hart was gone this off-season - which made sense only if he had also heard that Turner was gone - but he additionally was adamant that the Bengals were planning on spending heavy in FA on offensive line... which would mean last season's spending spree was not a one-off if goes down like that and with Turner gone, more likely that is to happen.

I am thrilled. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, membengal said:

TJ had the si.com piece stuck over on the general board for some reason, but it is now progessed to early word that Turner is one of three already told they will be out after the season. Thank god. Also Nick Eason and another defensive assistant. 

More changes likely too.

Cincinnati Bengals Moving on From Multiple Coaches After Sunday's Season Finale - Sports Illustrated Cincinnati Bengals News, Analysis and More

also, this is INTERESTING (this looks like Katie and Troy for sure - more evidence the old man has stepped back...):

 

I want proof, not speculation! (that it's purely a Troy/.Katie move) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mike B would never ever move on this before the end of season Monday meeting. He also wouldn’t give ultimatums when season is still going on.

he also wasn’t a FA spending guy. Ever. None of this points to him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

MB wants punishment handed-down for the Burrow injury..  Don't think he's not still running the show, he's like the Emperor in Star Wars.  Same thing.   Operating in the shadows, orchestratiing doom and gloom.  

“Now witness the power of this fully fueled and operational 1984 Lumina!”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

w o o t

now if only they had the balls and good judgement to rid themselves of Zacky as well

but this is an improvement, and I'll take it as a replacement for the usual inertia

I suspect the side story from Dehner about spending big on OL in FA isnt a continuation of last year's process, but rather, insistence from someone they do actually listen to - perhaps the New Guy himself - that New Guy be protected MUCH better ongoing.  New Guy himself is too professional to make threats of leaving/retiring/whatever, but I'd bet the 72 cents I have jingling in my pocket that there are others in his camp, like his agent, who are somewhat less so disposed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TJJackson said:

...but I'd bet the 72 cents I have jingling in my pocket..,

Don’t bet it.  We need that 72 cents.  Not for a free agency signing.  We need that 72 cents for the Rookie Pool, followed by the Rookie Pool’s deranged cousin, Injury Settlement.  No one expects... INJURY SETTLEMENT!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Injury pad going to be mad...

Hopefully the replacement for Turner is Callahan.

IF that happens it will get you a seat at the table with 2 big OL free agents in Trent Williams and Brandon Schreff. 
 

MB isn’t the primary roster guy and hasn’t been for a while.  I’m sure he has some sort of say and sign off.  
 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, COB said:

Don’t bet it.  We need that 72 cents.  Not for a free agency signing.  We need that 72 cents for the Rookie Pool, followed by the Rookie Pool’s deranged cousin, Injury Settlement.  No one expects... INJURY SETTLEMENT!

I will wire the funds in immediately.....glad to be of help :-)

It does bother me that the two defensive coaches clearly were and are scapegoats to save the job of others.  Eason was working with mostly street FAS all year long, with every good player he had out injured for at least part of the year. 

What puzzles and confuzzles me is the timing of this change.  They still need to finish out the season and those three individuals likely have gameday roles that others have to now fulfill

I don't know of any good/sensible reason to have made this change or announced word of it prior to the clock expiring at St Pauls Cathedral today

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh good lord TJ, you will complain about anything. Most franchises announce parting ways with coaches ahead of end of year. We never did. Until now. And you then complain about that. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Possibly interesting note on Bicknell: glancing at his wiki page, I see he’s had 18 jobs since 1993. Of those, 15 have lasted just one or two years. The other three were all three years. So he never stays anyplace long. Just unlucky? Born a ramblin’ man? Quickly becomes irritating? I dunno. But this is pretty par for the course for him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Possibly interesting note on Bicknell: glancing at his wiki page, I see he’s had 18 jobs since 1993. Of those, 15 have lasted just one or two years. The other three were all three years. So he never stays anyplace long. Just unlucky? Born a ramblin’ man? Quickly becomes irritating? I dunno. But this is pretty par for the course for him.

That’s surprising.  I’d love to hear the story behind this dude’s transient nature.  He keeps getting hired, so I assume he’s not some purveyor of toxicity, like a guy who poisons your culture.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...