Bengals @ Texans Game Thread

HoosierCat

Tough spot.   I don't think Zac deserves anymore defense than what his record suggest, but I do attribute some of that record to lack of talent and I believe talent along that line is horrific enough to derail every plan you want to do.

Eventually you have to start winning.   It'd be nice to knock the "never won on the road" thing off the list before next season.

8 hours ago, TJJackson said:

This is a must-lose game

win another and we fall to picking 6th.

thankfully, even considering tonights game, I am sure Finley is up for another L

Fuck that. They need to win because winning is the point. No pick at 3 is worth losing on purpose for. Win this one, beat Baltimore. Show the progress that ZT keeps talking about.

1 hour ago, COB said:

Have to fall in the please lose category.  That 3rd pick could set us up for 12 years of great pass protection for our amazing qb.  These tackles aren’t easy to get.  One game at the end of a lost year is a very small price to pay.  

Matt Miller gave them Rashwan Slater, the T from Northwestern at 3rd with Sewell 2nd in his latest mock. Said some scouts have Slater ahead of Sewell. They can win and still find  a REALLY good T. They don't need to be 3rd. If not Slater, then the Texas OT (Corsi), There's 3 or 4 worthy of top 10-15 considedration. 

• Like 3

That’s reassuring.  I kept hearing Fields at 2, but I can’t figure that out.  I’ve seen every game he’s played and he looks mid first round at best.  If he falls like I think he should, then Sewell will go 2 and we’ll have to do what we can.  Hopefully Slater is that good.

I just want a can’t miss tackle.  Because as we showed with Ougbuehi and Fischer, we can definitely miss on a good prospect.  Need new OL coach too.  Good luck to Turner wherever he lands.

5 hours ago, TJJackson said:

while I couldnt care less about the game itself, I am royally pissed that Jessie Bates wasnt named to the Pro Bowl

yet another reason for me to disregard this game altogether, if the NFL cant even identify its deserving players

Keeps his eventual price tag down a bit, and a chip on his shoulder.  I'm ok with it.   But yeah he got the snub from the league, for whatever reason (likely playing on one of the worst 4 teams and a bad defense having something to do with it). 

I am not sure I know which story to believe - that Anarumo is beloved by his players or is disrespected by his players. 

I've heard both.....certainly Dunlap was in the latter camp but I dont know if he was alone in this or not

what I do know:

• I am not an Anarumo fan, but.....the defense has been solidly good the last several games....including the Dallas game, where the offense in essence gave up 17 of the 30 points
  • Turner got Burrow killed

so between those two, I'd go with Turner as more likely gone

Defense has been horrible throughout the year.  But he’s also caught in a scheme change. 

o-line is the worse and the promising player in Jordan struggled badly.  

I don’t there is abundance of talent on either unit but I’m going offensive line IF there just one change. 

I hope they steal Bill Callahan from the Browns to replace. 

CINCINNATI (Jan 15, 2021) — After finishing the 2021 season with a 4-11-1 record, the Cincinnati Bengals today fired second assistant equipment quality coach Hugh Jass.

”Jass was a nice guy but his insistence on heavily starching all the jock straps was a major impediment to victory,” said head coach Zac Taylor. “Next season everyone will have comfortable junk, and I think that’s the change that will get us to the playoffs.”

• Haha 2

I do think Turner should be the first to go, but his relationship with Taylor has always seemed strong beyond just familiarity -- they tend to be in lockstep in evaluating the offensive line, even when everyone else holds the opposite views. Anarumo might not enjoy the same support.

As Hoosier's irony suggests though: it might not be any of the three. Hell, it might not be anyone.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TJJackson said:

question: as far as I know Pumpkin produced no heirs.  did any of the other brown family members produce heirs?  

I almost don’t have the heart to answer this.  Hopefully you’re sitting down, or possibly you’re immortal and can rest easy knowing you will absolutely outlive Mike’s dismal legacy.  Katie Blackburn has two daughters.  One of them, Elizabeth, is Director of Strategy and Engagement in the Business Development department for the Bengals.   I don’t know about the other one.