The Knee

HoosierCat

On 11/27/2020 at 1:20 PM, UK Bengal said:

He'll be fine, just time.  It's certainly good that it's "just" the 2 tears, and not a destroyed knee joint like Palmer had.  The possible upside is, that the Bengals' put more of a premium on upgrading the o-line than they otherwise would've, if he finished the season.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2020 at 7:57 PM, AMPHAR said:

They can fire the entire coaching staff and I would would be fine with it. 

But this staff faced a deeper rebuild than Marvin/Palmer and Marvin/Dalton eras.

It's definitely a deeper/tougher rebuild than Marvin had, and is why I didn't think Taylor was a good fit here

37 minutes ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

The possible upside is, that the Bengals' put more of a premium on upgrading the o-line than they otherwise would've, if he finished the season.

that'd be nice, but I have little hope of the FO doing the right thing.......my expectation is they'll take another f'in wide receiver. 

they love the shiny new toys, not the grimy lunchpail guys that I love

The need OL and speed at WR.   

They aren’t going far until both are fixed. 

Very hard to run an offense week in and week out for 16 games absolutely needing your QB to throw in 2.5 seconds and needing 10/12 play drives. 

The last two games Burrow started it was 6/7 in coverage jammed in 20 yard space.

1 hour ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

It's definitely a deeper/tougher rebuild than Marvin had, and is why I didn't think Taylor was a good fit here

Probably especially when you saddle the new coaching with all the old coaching staff’s players.   Then stand pat the first year. 

Marvin inherited an underachieving roster with a couple pro bowlers or soon to be pro bowlers.

Then in 2003 and 2004 they signed a bunch of former 1st/2nd round draft picks from other teams.

The front office simply has not done a good job for the new staff when compared to Marvin’s first 2 years. 

• Like 1

On 12/3/2020 at 11:17 PM, AMPHAR said:

Probably especially when you saddle the new coaching with all the old coaching staff’s players.   Then stand pat the first year. 

Marvin inherited an underachieving roster with a couple pro bowlers or soon to be pro bowlers.

Then in 2003 and 2004 they signed a bunch of former 1st/2nd round draft picks from other teams.

The front office simply has not done a good job for the new staff when compared to Marvin’s first 2 years. 

Marvin acted as a de facto GM, made demands, used his success as leverage, his league connections with assistants as well.  He was an established coordinator in the league with a highly successful track record with Baltimore's defense.  He fully understood the caliber of players he needed to have a shot at winning consistently, and worked around the Browns whenever he could (i.e. Thurman, O'Neal, Nelson).  I don't see that in Taylor, who doesn't seem to be demanding much, sitting by while they re-sign Hart, Shawn Williams and Preston Brown, and put a rookie LT in front of their rookie franchise QB.   Then they paid Mixon, which will prove to be another mistake.  The HC has to be responsible for major personnel moves as well.

I don't think Taylor was the right person at the right time.  Maybe he works as an OC, but as a HC here, no way.  It's not going to work out most likely, we're just playing out the string like we did with Shula.

Any new coaching staff will have to have a front office that can fix the lack of talent this team has.

Marvin Lewis didn't win when the cabinets were going bare.   Zac isn't winning.  

Marvin came in at a time the Brown family was admitting they needed to change.  They further changed after 2010.   This front office is stuck in that mode trying to recreate that run of offseason success.   

Does anybody see ALL PRO AJ Green out there?  Is it scheme or is it age?    That's 18 mil in cap room which is 2 good O-line starters.   This coaching staff is paying the price for the front office having faith in their draft process.

4 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Any new coaching staff will have to have a front office that can fix the lack of talent this team has.

Marvin Lewis didn't win when the cabinets were going bare.   Zac isn't winning.  

Marvin came in at a time the Brown family was admitting they needed to change.  They further changed after 2010.   This front office is stuck in that mode trying to recreate that run of offseason success.   

Does anybody see ALL PRO AJ Green out there?  Is it scheme or is it age?    That's 18 mil in cap room which is 2 good O-line starters.   This coaching staff is paying the price for the front office having faith in their draft process.

Either way I have watched guys who used to be good, or guys that I used to really like suck under Taylor coaching. Atkins, Dunlap, Green, I watched Andy Dalton have his worst career under Taylor. I don’t know whether it’s age or just tired of losing, but these guys under Taylor are gross and unwatchable. In my opinion he ruined anything good this team had

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, TJJackson said:

His legs look like a kid's.....I would have figured there'd be a lot more muscle on an athlete of his caliber........

but yeah, great great news :-)

You want him THICCC like Philip Rivers? C'mon now.