Offensive Line Draft Talk Thread

membengal

8 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Yeah, I hadn’t really thought about it, but it is kind of unique to this franchise. I mean, over the years as I’ve moved around I’ve casually followed the Jets, Giants and Bears just because they’re what the local news covers. And I can’t recall situations outside of QB (in that case usually a high draft pick) when there is a multi-year starter who is clearly a liability, but doesn’t get replaced, sometimes gets rewarded with more money, and is defended to the proverbial death by coaches. And then when he finally leaves, is basically never heard of again despite having dozens of starts under his belt.

Eh,  it was the price of standing pat for Burrow and dumping money into defense. 

2 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Shortly later in that thread Paul throws the front office under the bus.

I never understand why Bengal fans lay the blame of ALL offensive line transactions at the feet of the o-line coach. 

They are now starting to do the same with Turner and Hart.   Turner has to work with the crap Tobin handed him.

Well, in that case I’d say people pinning all the blame on Turner are forgetting that Troy Blackburn came out and said it was impossible to find anyone better.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/3/29/18285522/troy-blackburn-bobby-hart-is-not-a-great-sign-for-the-bengals

So yeah as far as my finger is concerned it’s pointed straight at the front office.

• Like 1

The state of the offensive line is completely a front office issue.     But really there's only so much you can do in 1 offseason and still keep the No. 1 overall pick.      They couldn't fix all roster issues that this team had in 1 offseason. 

I have no idea IF Turner is a good line coach or not.   I just know it's hard to protect a QB when the edges collapse so fast and really pressure coming from all points of the pocket.

But the Chargers were supposed to have an "elite" D-line and overall very good defense.   So we'll see, I guess. 

I think the key to fixing the offensive line is hoping all the defensive free agents they brought in have a high degree of success so they can spend multiple high picks on the line this coming draft.

I agree you can’t fix everything in one offseason, but there were a number of options in FA (and we talked about several of them here). So here we are headed into game 2, Hart is still terrible and the team is sitting on nearly $12 million in unused cap space. So yeah, lookin’ at you, Troy.

Agree re the draft. OL, OL and OL lead the list of needs.

“I was kinda expecting a lot of chips, back chips and some max protections, but I had to take advantage of my opportunities with the 1-on-1s,” Bosa said. “I think I did a good job, but yeah, they kinda left (Hart) on an island over there, but I’m not going to complain about that.”

This an OC and HC problem.

I questioned this during the game.  Bobby Hart is not good.  Will never be good.  It’s likely his replacement isn’t on the roster and the guys behind him aren’t good either. 

Why do we have schemes on opening day leaving a struggling back up at best on an Island with Bosa with a rookie making his first start?

Zach might be in over his head. 

• Like 1

Bobby Hart - 66.6 (60.1 pass, 75.0 run)
Fred Johnson - 54.2 (45.0 pass, 57.4 run)
Trey Hopkins - 61.8 (71.8 pass, 55.4 run)
Michael Jordan - 55.7 (46.2 pass, 59.2 run)
Jonah Williams - 68.3 (65.1 pass, 66.5 run)

Billy Price (28 snaps) - 51.7 (47.9 pass, 52.7 run)

I stole this off another board. Through 2 games.  PFF grades. 

Pressure comes from everywhere. 

• Like 1

I've been through enough crappy Bengals seasons to know when the losses start everyone jumps into "Fix it" or "Blame" mode.

Usually the solution the fans come up with are simple and usually fall on one player's shoulders.   I think PFF numbers are good in a general direction and what those show through 2 games is NO ONE  that on that line is pass protecting worth a damn except the Center which in most cases like 90%+ of the time the center is helping and rarely locked one on one.

So yeah Hart sucks and I can't imagine anymore of him starting but damn there's break downs galore.   That's the problem the coaching staff faces.    IMO, that's a front office failure at this point of the season.

They need to start some where and for the most part. Hart is the major issue. Just taking him off the line would be an improvement. Yes the front office is to blame yet so is Zac. Why in the world would you keep starting Hart? Is Zac trying to get Joe hurt? I think Zac is in over his head. He needs to step down.