Offensive Line Draft Talk Thread

membengal

and the thing is, for all those who want to solve the OL problem in FA, thats fine as a short term thing.

I do want to see that too....tho gimme Scherff instead of Thuney like all the online sources predict unless Scherff is like 4+M more per year than Thuney

....however...

New Guy will (hopefully) be here long term, like 10 years or more. 

That means you need quality draft selections now on the OLine IN ADDITION TO those premium players you get in FA

and thats also why I am OK with taking Sewell at 5 (if we somehow cant or more likely wont trade down) even if we cover OL in FA

Even if we pick up two expensive, high quality OLs in FA, I want We need 2 more OLs drafted, one OT and one OG, and those 2 should come no later than round 4.

I'd like to see a developmental OC taken in round 5 or 6 in addition to those 2 because Hopkins isn't going to last forever.  If we get a player like Creed Humphrey in round 4, we can avoid that tho, though as he serves both as a OG and an OC

Hobson always makes me so fucking mad when I read his moronic drivel

I actively avoid his stuff, or tune the radio elsewhere if he is a guest

I read this one because I thought a question from Mem had been replied to.....big mistake on my part, I am still fuming from having read that. 

If I was Burrow and read his "ignore the offense, spend on defense" blather, I'd have hobbled into SoaGs office and yelled "WHAT THE FUCKING HELL!!!!!" as loud as I possibly could.  So loud SoaG'd fall off his Runabout Scamp IV ($1,433 on sale at Sams Club now)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, COB said:

Hobson better not be a stalking horse for the front office and a strategy that involves a 3rd round o-lineman and a later pick or two.  We need quality starters on the o-line, if the Brown family can’t deliver, sell the team to someone who can.

he claimed they had no money to spend last off-season and then they spent $126 million, so hopefully this just him being an asshole. 

• Like 2

Chase does look amazing, but only if we get a quality starter at tackle in FA.  If that doesn’t happen, I’m all in on Sewell.  Joe has Boyd, Higgins, and whatever reclamation project Tobin pulls off the scrap heap and brings in here.  Not shabby at all, especially if he’s got time to go through a few progressions.

• Like 1

another thing I worry about with Chase (or any of the top 3 WRs) is

1] if he sucks, we've set our franchise back another year or 2

2] if he's great, he takes catches away from Higgins and Boyd, and although everyone is supposed to be a highly paid professional, WRs who dont get the ball thrown to them often enough tend to become......disgruntled.  Disgruntled players destroy chemistry and leave.  I dont want this happening with the Boyd or Higgins

2 thousand yard receivers on a team?  it happens

3 thousand yard receivers on a team?  a rarity in the extreme

so to me taking a WR is a little bit of a rock and a hard place proposition......I cant be sure all three will be happy while losing 15-25 catches and 300ish yards a year to the other two WRs

6 hours ago, TJJackson said:

another thing I worry about with Chase (or any of the top 3 WRs) is

1] if he sucks, we've set our franchise back another year or 2

2] if he's great, he takes catches away from Higgins and Boyd, and although everyone is supposed to be a highly paid professional, WRs who dont get the ball thrown to them often enough tend to become......disgruntled.  Disgruntled players destroy chemistry and leave.  I dont want this happening with the Boyd or Higgins

2 thousand yard receivers on a team?  it happens

3 thousand yard receivers on a team?  a rarity in the extreme

so to me taking a WR is a little bit of a rock and a hard place proposition......I cant be sure all three will be happy while losing 15-25 catches and 300ish yards a year to the other two WRs

No. 1 applies to any pick. Including Sewell

No. 2  If you have a “great” WR it draws coverage.   Then you can plug and play at the other spots like they did the entire Chad and AJ years. 

I personally think it’s FA OL, Pitts at 5, defense at 37. 

He does NOT take catches away from others. AJ Green had 100 targets last year and Higgins and Boyd each were on 1000 yard pace. Chase doesn't affect that all. He can take those targets or some portion of them and there are no ripples to the others. 

9 minutes ago, membengal said:

He does NOT take catches away from others. AJ Green had 100 targets last year and Higgins and Boyd each were on 1000 yard pace. Chase doesn't affect that all. He can take those targets or some portion of them and there are no ripples to the others. 

Keep in mind with a horrible 3rd down defense that robbed the offense of a few more snaps. 

If Chase is there at 5 its an easy pick, IMO.   However I don't think he'll be there without a run on QBs.

It's still Sewell for me at #5 or bust.  This guy doesn't really make any insightful points below, but I agree regardless.  IF you get the chance to draft a generational talent - you do it and cross your fingers.  You gotta couple of WR's already who can play, find another somewhere else for now and keep upgrading the talent on the 0-line if you're serious about long term winning and not watching Burrow get smashed every year.