Offensive Line Draft Talk Thread

membengal

1st -Taylor didn’t resign Hart.  
2nd - Hart is proving that was the correct move. That was pure Tobin. 

Don’t get me wrong Hart is bottom tier but there wasn’t a sure fire RT available AND it would have left them only dis gruntled Glenn going into the draft. 

Then they drafted Williams and failed in an attempt to trade up and draft Cody Ford.  Drafted Micheal Jordan later.  

3rd - Fans were adamant about staying put for Burrow.  Then are you giving up Tee Higgins for Ezra Cleveland or Josh Jones, two guys that don’t play much this year? 

There simply wasn’t a 1 offseason fix when the decided to dump cap dollars into the defense. 

Taylor may be a bad coach, but he really doesn’t have crap to work with along the o-line and that fate was sealed long before he was a HC.  

16 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

3rd - Fans were adamant about staying put for Burrow.  Then are you giving up Tee Higgins for Ezra Cleveland or Josh Jones, two guys that don’t play much this year? 

There simply wasn’t a 1 offseason fix when the decided to dump cap dollars into the defense. 

Taylor may be a bad coach, but he really doesn’t have crap to work with along the o-line and that fate was sealed long before he was a HC.  

I'm not letting Taylor off the hook for offensive personnel decisions - if he let Turner authorize that with Tobin, then it's still on Taylor...sign of a coach that can't judge talent or put together a good staff.  It was a bad signing at the time and everyone knew it. You acquire more draft picks to replace him, you make a trade, you make an effort, you don't just sit on your hands and take the easy way out of everything. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, membengal said:

I don't hear a lot of bitching from new players. This is holdovers bitching. I am not a ZT backer, clearly, but I am also not gonna render my garments over aging vets who are being phased out being a sign of a full scale revolt. The bigger fault is they didn't jettison them before this. Course, with Covid off-season, that was probably harder. Should have dealt them last trade deadline, of course, but there you are. 

Dunlap has been atrocious this year. Atkins has not registered any stats at all in 37 snaps so far. Ross is...well, if you are gonna cry about Ross at this point, have at it. 

I don’t think a “revolt” is really the concern, though. It’s more of a question of confidence. If coaches don’t think that guys like Dunlap and Atkins are performing, then they are totally justified with making changes. But like Perotta said, you have to get results when you do that. Otherwise you end up with another benching Dalton for Finley situation that leaves the staff with egg on its face and the players wondering if they have a clue.

3 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

I'm not letting Taylor off the hook for offensive personnel decisions - if he let Turner authorize that with Tobin, then it's still on Taylor...sign of a coach that can't judge talent or put together a good staff.  It was a bad signing at the time and everyone knew it. You acquire more draft picks to replace him, you make a trade, you make an effort, you don't just sit on your hands and take the easy way out of everything. 

Eh, that's too simplistic.    Were you willing to give up Joe Burrow?  Tee Higgins?   For who, exactly?

Makes no sense really.    Here Zach we can sign Hart.   If we don't we have 1 tackle on the roster entering the draft.   If we do,  we plan on adding Williams with our No. 1 pick and we like Cody Hart and plan to trade up.

That didn't happen so they drafted Michael Jordan, signed Andre Smith and  Fred Johnson.    At some point Tobin's scouting has to be called out over the Head Coach.

Reality is this was never a quick fix UNLESS you were willing to give up the chance to draft Joe Burrow.     

Still Taylor can’t even win more then 2 games in his career, come on! There is enough talent on this team to win more games, to at least show the fans some kind of hope. Duke Tobin for sure needs to be held accountable for this crap, but Taylor has proven to be a joke of a coach so far.  Is it because he is a bad coach or is it because some of the talent here does not want to be here and are not giving 100 percent to win. 

Who knows anymore what’s going on in this locker room, but things need to change, and Zac needs to figure something out quick or he will lose the team and the fans. I’m still not liking this hire and feel like it’s time to move on but who knows.

Speaking of O-line I really wish they would give that young guy from Kentucky a try either at guard or RT, would like to see if he is anything. Micheal Jordan really has not been that bad I’ve heard his name called for some good things this  season. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2020 at 3:51 PM, membengal said:

Joe Burrow was pressured on 29% of his dropbacks last year. Andy Dalton was pressured on 29% of his dropbacks last year.  Burrow also did a ton to avoid hits and sacks. Oh, and he had a passer rating while doing so that would make Dalton blush. Burrow is better than Dalton. From day 1. He's used to dealing with pressure. So, I am gonna skip the wailing and gnashing of teeth on that front. 

I still think line is shitty, BUT what you were saying here is playing out in front of our eyes. 

Kudos on presenting a key stat. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Right now there top 4 tackles (typically they keep 4 with 3 being active)

1. Jonah Williams - I think is the clear No. 1 tackle on the team and has played well enough to go into next TC as starter.

2. Bobby Hart - A controversial player.  He's a whipping boy.  He's a low tier starting level tackle.  He struggles with pass protection and the better aspect of his game is run blocking.    He's the perfect "jumbo" TE IF Zach likes that formation at all.   I don't recall a whole lot of usage.   He's not a great swing tackle candidate because of his struggles pass blocking.   The offseason needs to focus on making him tackle No. 3 at best entering TC.

3. Adeniji -  rookie.  They insiders say the like him and has potential.   2 tough starts and hasn't flopped.  This issue here is he is suited for LT according to the insiders.   So????? Can you take a 2nd year player/low round pick and install him at LT over No. 1 draft pick then move that No. 1 to RT?  

4.  Fred Johnson - bad starts at RG took some shine off him.   Good start against Tenn.  I think he's a good candidate for "swing" tackle back up.

I  don't believe anyone is an Unrestricted FA.   So any significant draft pick would have to replace 1 of the above. 

Gimme Spain as starter at ORT right now.  Moving him there also helps ameliorate the logjam we now have on the interior OL

Send Hart packing.  He has improved, yes, but he's too damn expensive for what we get from him.

Adeniji and the Big Johnson {sometimes known as Fred) as swing tackles.  I love them both dearly, great depth. 

Adeniji as a 6th rounder providing great depth and starting to make me think this last draft was one of the best ones in recent Bengals history

Penei Sewell Oregon Jr OL 1 6-6 330    
10 Wyatt Davis Ohio St. Jr OL 2 6-4 315    
23 Trey Smith Tennessee Sr OL 3 6-6 330    
25 Rashawn Slater Northwestern Sr OL 4 6-4 315    
2 6 Samuel Cosmi Texas Jr OL 5 6-7

Early look at the leaders in the club house of top offensive line talent.   Of course a lot can change because Becton at 1 point was seen as a 2nd rounder and lifted to the top 10.

Slater is a beast.

Putting my money on Sewell though.....I seriously doubt we are going to win any of the up coming games with Ryan Finley as our starting QB especially with no Joe Mixon.

Start Sewell at LT, move Williams to RT,  with Spain at RG and you have something special brewing.

Notable name missing from above is Leatherwood.   Some rankings have him as the 2nd best tackle.

Trey Smith would be an excellent draft pick in the 2nd round if you can get past his blood clot issue.   But there are  scout reports that had him as the nation's 2nd best guard in 2017 as a freshman.    Who was the best that year?  Quentin Nelson.

Trey Smith probably works his way up to the first round, is my guess.

As always a team needing offensive line hopes the draft grades out deep.   Too early to tell.    However, the bad news from recent draft there are very few impact offensive lineman.    A lot of the dudes we discuss as hopeful 2nd round adds barely play or play at a level comparable to Hart their first couple years.

With that thought,  IF Sewell makes the grade after all the combines etc,   then he's got to be the pick.

My hesitation would be.... Prior to the Burrow injury and having to go on the road and listen via  radio; Jonah Williams was impressive vs. Chase Young one v one pass rush.   I didn't see how well he did when Finley came in.

Sewell sat out and you input him at LT????  Are lack of reps an issue?  The Bengals can't really suffer through a long rookie learning period at LT next year with a QB that's going to be trying to gain back confidence on a repaired knee.

3 minutes ago, cincy9275 said:

That's c

Because he had real coaching at bama. Then explain why all the other linemen are pure shit? Give me a break. Turner is a fucking joke..  You know damn well he is. Stop the nonsense. 

So the point isn't moot then is it?   Just give the NFL coaching staff highly drafted players?

I don't know if Turner is a joke or not and the non sense is believing you can just change a coaching staff and give them guys like Hart and everything will be fine.

Thus bringing us back up to the current portion of discussing who they should draft, duh!