Offensive Line Draft Talk Thread

membengal

Boy, you know things are slow when you make posts to stir conversation and you get jokes about water heaters being better than Bobby Hart (which I happen to agree with)...

"What do you think about the defense?"-  I'm good
"What about protecting Burrow?"-  He's good
"What about upgrading the roster?"- Yawn
"Wonder if the season will go off?"- Maybe

It's kind of funny and sad at the same time.  
Stupid COVID !!

It’s the dead part of the offseason anyhow. I miss the old, pre-rookie-cap days when we could look forward to annual contract fights and holdouts to fill the gap, but that’s progress, I guess.

Has anyone seen whether they’re opening facilities this week?

ETA apparently they are opening tomorrow.

IMHO, this offensive line is too dependant on young guys.  

Jonah Williams, 0 career starts

Hakeem Adeneji, 0 career starts

Michael Jordan, 9 career starts

Billy Price, 18 career starts

Fred Johnson, 1 career starts

Or vets that have never had success.

Bobby Hart

Xavier Sua-Filo

We need a Jason Peters or Larry Warford to provide an established veteren leader voice to provide stability.

I keep wondering about Warford as well, as he remains unsigned.

I had heard that he had a knee injury at the end of last year and maybe teams are being cautious since they can't get their doctors to look at him yet.
I also am curious the impact of signing him would have on trying to sign both AJ and Mixon to extensions ??

That being said, I still think Warford would bring a presence to the o-line that currently does not exist there.
A pro-bowl level o-lineman, coming from a winning organization, having protected one of the best QB's in the league.
I just think he would help both the line, as well as additional mentor-ship for Burrow from a line perspective.
Who could do that from a veteran perspective from the line now ??  Hart ??  BWAAAAAHAAAAHAAAA !!!

If this line gets Burrow killed, i'm going to be pissed.

We’ll see.  Hopkins is a breath of fresh air, not just because he’s a guy who showed up and far outplayed his expectations/reputation, but because he was allowed to do so, he was encouraged to do so.

Alexander built ridiculously close relationships with his guys, to the detriment of competition and achievement.  In my opinion, Billy Price would be starting at center for 4 years if Alexander were still here.  And we’d be reading Alexander’s impassioned defenses of Price’s play, which would describe how our own eyes were deceiving us, etc.

I’m excited about the future not only because of the players but because of the meritocracy Turner is building in that OL room.  I admit he’s a weird guy, not really admirable in some ways.  Playing NFL football is a weird job, not really admirable in some ways.

4 hours ago, COB said:

We’ll see.  Hopkins is a breath of fresh air, not just because he’s a guy who showed up and far outplayed his expectations/reputation, but because he was allowed to do so, he was encouraged to do so.

Alexander built ridiculously close relationships with his guys, to the detriment of competition and achievement.  In my opinion, Billy Price would be starting at center for 4 years if Alexander were still here.  And we’d be reading Alexander’s impassioned defenses of Price’s play, which would describe how our own eyes were deceiving us, etc.

I’m excited about the future not only because of the players but because of the meritocracy Turner is building in that OL room.  I admit he’s a weird guy, not really admirable in some ways.  Playing NFL football is a weird job, not really admirable in some ways.

Under Alexander Hopkins was inserted as a starter at RG over Andre Smith back 2017.   
He wasn’t buried behind vets under Alexander.   He could handle a Ketchup bottle if you know what I mean. 

Hopkins is just alright if he was surrounded by high performing tackles like Bodine his play would receive more critical analysis from fans.    Still a better player than Price and Bodine.   I would say he isn’t as good as Kyle Cook, yet. 

The overall goal would be to have Hopkins as your worse lineman instead of having players with that distinction lining up at tackle. 

Hopefully Jordan and Williams answer the praise and become budding all-pros.  Find a decent answer to RT. 

I doubt we ever see the Bengals getting to the divisional round with the level of play at RT and LT with Hart etc. 

I’m in favor of signing Warford.   They are dangerously thin and largely unproven. 

Micheal Jordan may become an All Pro this year but he was horrible last year.  

Warford gives you upgrade at a starter position then bumps everyone down improving depth. 

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Grabbed off another board,  D-Lap has indicated the Bengals are considering Warford.

As they should be.  Outside of asking price and his injury status, he easily presents as a substantial upgrade to the o-line.
One might argue his addition is worth whatever impact there may be for other player extensions.

How good of a season do they want Burrow to have ??  Protect the investment.

I don't consider Warford a "Long Term" solution but they are so razor thin up front on paper.     I understand they think Jordan is a rising star along with Williams.   Fine.

But if either of them go down again or struggle.   Then it puts Burrow in a tough spot to have success like Mixon has seen his first years in the league.

The better they can get Joe Mixon going it makes life on Joe Burrow easier in his rookie season.    Mixon has a high degree of talent but we've seen the line derail him for a period of games along with durability. 

• Like 1

Warford was hurt last year, but still played at a pro bowl level, as he has for the last three years.
If he's 100% healthy, I could see a 3-4 year deal.  He just turned 28, so age isn't working against him.
It was reported he was looking at about 7 million per season, but I wonder why that is ??
All but 1 of the top 15 Guards in the game make at least 10 million per season.

If they can make sure he's healthy and can get a still young pro bowl guard at less than 10 million per season, that's a HUGE win.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Follow this link and then hit the insta video embedded - Jonah Williams looks physically amazing now - he's clearly been using the time since his injury to get stacked, looks way different body type than when he was drafted, frankly:

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2020/06/24/bengals-jonah-williams-tee-higgins-workout-video-training-camp/

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing Mem and I agree with you.

I recall thinking that Williams looked a little soft when he was drafted and not as muscular as he now appears.
It may be a lot to put all on his plate, but I hope his addition to the o-line really brings that unit along.

God knows Burrow is hoping for the same.