Second Round Pre-Pick Thread

Wraith

These are the guys I would love to get at #33.  With the depth of this group some of these guys (who all carry first round grades) will drop to #33.  Sorted by Position Group.

This is my wishlist for the top of Rd. 2.

OT:

Josh Jones, OT, Houston.  Seeing Ezra Cleveland mocked here but he is too raw IMHO to go this high.   If the draft unfolds badly for us we could drop back collect extra picks and take him mid to late 2nd round.  There are better players that will almost certainly be available for #33.  For the record, I don't see Jones making it past the Vikings at #25.

IOL:

Cesar Ruiz, IOL, Michigan.  From a physical standpoint Netane Muti from Fresno would also be a candidate here but he has had major injuries the last three years, too great an injury risk to take at #33.

LB:

Patrick Queen, LB, LSU.  Likely not available but would sprint to the podium (virtually) if he is.

Kenneth Murray, LB, Oklahoma.  ditto Queen

Edge: 

Zach Baun, OLB/Edge, Wisconsin

Safety:

Grant Delpit, S, LSU

WR:

Laviska Shenault, WR, Colorado

Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor

Justin Jefferson, WR, LSU

Tee Higgins, WR, Clemson.  One of these WRs will drop to us....would be happy with any of them. Shenault is my favorite, Mims and Jefferson tied for second.

CB:

Kristian Fulton, CB, LSU.  Seriously doubt he will drop this far, but seeing him fall on several draft boards.

• Like 1

Dude the lack of quality players at the LB spots is severe. I like they made this signing they did, but if that comprises their whole plan (don’t think so) they are in trouble. These guys have sucked for years and it’s a spot that has been neglected by the organization.

Im hoping that changes at #33 this draft.
Agree that I dont want to reach if some players are gone.

12 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Dude the lack of quality players at the LB spots is severe. I like they made this signing they did, but if that comprises their whole plan (don’t think so) they are in trouble. These guys have sucked for years and it’s a spot that has been neglected by the organization.

Im hoping that changes at #33 this draft.
Agree that I dont want to reach if some players are gone.

They should NOT reach for a LB at 33. There is legit help there are top of round three and four. If queen is off board , I am content to wait.

Agree Mem, NO reaching.

Simmons will obviously be gone by #33, but I think guys like Queen and Murray will be as well.
In that instance, reaching for a guy like Harrison at the top of the 2nd would be a mistake, although I like him a lot.
That scenario should result in grabbing the BPA.  That may be an OT, a safety, or even a WR regardless of how people feel about it.

Maybe Josh Bynes is a really good signing, but I can't say as I know a damn thing about him.
Even with him on the roster, the lack of talent is alarming AT BEST through the linebacking corps.
Who do we have on the roster at this point ??  Germaine Pratt ??  We needed at least two LB's before Vigil left.

Bottomline is that this team has ignored the LB's for far too long towards the top of the draft.
On a side, outside of Bates, I think our safeties suck balls.

Reaching is always bad....I agree there are enough great players in this draft that if you stick to your board and pick the BPA (within reason) you will end with a heck of a draft. 

Simmons is a no doubter top ten.  I believe you need to be in the 25-28 range to ensure you get a shot at Queen or Murray....I believe it is highly likely that both will be gone by 33.

That being said there is always Delpit, Baun, Ruiz or one of the great WRs going to be sitting there.

At least 3QBs (likely 4) will go Rd. 1 let's say 4. All five of the OTs will likely be gone by the Vikes pick at 25 that's nine selections off the board).  At least two CBs will go and one satety. At a minimum 5 WRs will be off the board by 33. Simmons and Brown makes it 19 picks accounted for and 3 Edge will make it 22.....that means out of the ten remaining selections one of those 11 guys listed above will drop to us at #33 (not including Jones)....these guys would all be first rounders in almost any draft. The draft always lands a curve ball or three during the first round so it is highly likely that the Bengals have their pick of several amazingly talented players at the top of rd.2.  If we reach on a Harrison or Davis-Gaither at #33 we make our team worse.

I like Bynes, but the fact that he is signed for 1 year only means the extreme need at linebacker are still very much present

That said, with the need to protect the investment in the New Guy, I still want an OT (or a OG at worst) at 33. 

They should be looking at close to average quality LBs right now in FA and additional LBs (with coverage skills) in the draft rounds 4 and below

At the top of my wish list is a candidate/prospect for Offensive Tackle.   It's a deep class and I hope 1 falls.   

I'm thinking blocking for Joe Mixon at #33.   Blocking for one Joe benefits another Joe. 

1. Tackle.  Josh Jones would be a nice acquisition.  If remember correctly his performance at the Senior Bowl was great and thus he's been projected in the first round since then.

2. Mauler at RG.    There are plenty of candidates for this.  Plus I wouldn't be against drafting a Center and moving that player or Hopkins.

At the end of the day.   There is 0 proven talent on the line at all.    Hopkins a bright surprise in a pool of crap is just a mid pack Center.  

I would love these two position at 33 and 65.

3a In line traditional TE.  I would love to have the ND TE.  He fits exactly what they need.  Supposedly they want to play 2 TEs a lot so it doesn't over write last year's pick of Sample.    I think those are critical edge blocking needs that are often overlooked in the struggles of the run game and pass protection. 

3b.  WR -  They simply don't have speed when Green and Ross are of the field.  Those two have been off the field A LOT.   If there is some deep speed candidates falling to 33 they have to be considered.

LB - Because of FA - I'm putting off until 3rd round unless something unthinkable slides.   But it's a critical need BUT you also have Pratt and the number of snaps these guys play amount to a situational player.    Although same can be said for In-line TE but I think the need for protecting Burrow trumps that.

We can sit and discuss this until we are blue in the face, but there are questions I wish I knew the answer to in order to truly make a better guess.

I agree and think they need to focus on another OT and OG.  I'm actually hoping for one each, or instead of an OG, a versatile OC.
However, the coaches aren't putting anything out there that would suggest they are displeased with the roster in it's current state.
Is that a load of shit, posturing before the draft or a fairly solid thought process ??  The answer will determine their direction with #33 being in play.

Next, what is the schematic thought for the defense.  They aren't the traditional 4-3 defense and their alignments would seem to explain some of their FA decisions.
There were times last year where they were in a 4-3-4, a 4-2-5 and even a 5-2-4.  The need for CB's seems the priority along with LB's who can cover better.
The "2" in those schemes may better indicate why they aren't focusing so much on adding a LB early on, but the results from last year would suggest upgrades are certainly needed.

The way I see it is that they could either add o-line or LB talent at #33 and i'm going to be happy.
I agree in that I won't be upset with a speed WR either and expect one at some point within the first 4 rounds.
I think as well that TE will be in the mix, but not so sure it will or should be early on.  I don't think there's much difference in talent throughout the class.

The more mocks I look at the more appealing a trade down becomes. I don’t think it will happen because someone almost always falls unexpectedly, but if things go more or less as seems to be expected, I’m just not that awed with the choices at 33. In that case I hope they can drop down and pick up an extra 4th.

Odd, I went back to look at last years draft day trades specific to the 2nd round.

Obviously we traded down last year and picked Drew "Simple", TE.
They traded down ten spots from #42 to #52 and picked up a 4th and 5th in the trade.

Last year, the Panthers also traded down ten spots from #37 to #47 and picked up a 3rd in trade.

• 3 weeks later...

I moved this to the Bengals forum if anyone was wondering.  It seemed specific enough for me.

That being said and since I am really intrigued with who might be there at #33, I wanted to get back into this conversation.

Here's who I like and hope are there:
Patrick Queen- He's my number 1 want at #33, but have string doubts he will be there.  I simply think he makes the most impact early on at a position of great need.
Isaiah Wilson- He's my close number 2 and think he would push for starting time at RT, but is still thought to be developmental and not sure they would give him the nod over Hart although I would love it.

After that, I can't say that i'm really thrilled about any one played as specific as the two named above.  Not to say there aren't other good players there, but they are simply less intriguing than the first two I mentioned.
They also stick with my original thought of either getting a LB or OT at that spot.  I won't be mad if they were to go either way, as I believe there are other prospects to be had throughout the draft at those positions.

I read a letter Mike Brown wrote in response to a letter he’d received.  Probably a season ticket holder complaining, I don’t know.  Anyway Mike said the draft would be used to shore up the defense.  I’d expect LB at 33.  The days of BPA are long past us.

I really don't expect a linebacker to be there at #33 and Patrick Queen is the only one I would want at that spot.

Kenneth Murray, while a really good LB, isn't thought to be a good coverage LB and that is something we need.
Jordyn Brooks ??  Nope
Zach Baun ??  I don't want to spend the #33 pick on a guy that's never played LB

Anything else after that can be found at the top of the 3rd.  DON'T REACH when you don't have to.

It doesn’t seem likely that an OT or LB worth the pick will be there.

I’m fine with Baun but yeah, he be a bit of a project. 

WR? Probably will be value there but seems like that will be tru at the top of the third too.

DL or secondary could also be value at 33 but they spent a lot on that in FA.

You know what we don’t talk about a lot? RB. There should definitely be value there, Mixon is making holdout noises, second contracts for RBs are iffy. It’s not a crazy idea to draft Mixon’s replacement at 33.

RB would definitely be a value pick at the top of the 2nd and it should be a welcomed addition if that were the case.
Mixon coming up on rookie deal, Gio not getting younger and then what ??  Maybe a couple options, but certainly question marks.

There could possibly not be a single RB taken in the first round and we could be looking at 3 first round RB's:
Swift, Dobbins, and Taylor

Of those 3, call me a homer, but I would go with Dobbins.  I just love his toughness.
Who knew a RB would be a less sexy pick than an O-lineman for the Bengals ??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

RB would definitely be a value pick at the top of the 2nd and it should be a welcomed addition if that were the case.
Mixon coming up on rookie deal, Gio not getting younger and then what ??  Maybe a couple options, but certainly question marks.

There could possibly not be a single RB taken in the first round and we could be looking at 3 first round RB's:
Swift, Dobbins, and Taylor

Of those 3, call me a homer, but I would go with Dobbins.  I just love his toughness.
Who knew a RB would be a less sexy pick than an O-lineman for the Bengals ??

No.  No high draft selection on a RB, maybe if someone like Zach Moss drops to us at the beginning of the 6th maybe.  Statistically RB has the worst return out of a high draft pick than any position.  PFF has been on that train for a while now.

There is simply not that great a difference between a guy like Barkley taken in the top ten versus a guy like Hunt taken at pick #86 and there are no Saquan Barkley's in this draft.  For modern the modern NFL team a guy like Laviska Shenault offers much more value than a guy like Jonathan Taylor.

• Like 1

Denzel Mims has gotten a lot of pub in the last month.   Now the Bengals have his former college position coach on staff.    I'm adding him to my wish list.

Then Wilson the OT GA.   Once was a time he was hopeful at 65.   That seems far fetched now as he could sneak in round 1 but it seems he's gonna be gone top 40 for sure.

Adding both of these to my wish list.