Official Joe Burrow Thread

cincyhokie

Joe Burrow May not have the strongest arm in this draft class should not be confused with Joe Burrow doesn’t have a NFL arm.

The pass interference play before half disputes that.  Stepped up and drilled that downfield so fast Clemson player freaked out and tackled the guy too early. 

So many media/ ESPN telling Burrow to pull an Eli and not play for the Bengals, demand a trade.

Man nobody want anything good to happen to the bengals lol. Man when Peyton Manning went to the Colts they were a terrible team. Yea the owner sucks the franchise is terrible I get all that, but maybe getting a good QB, hopefully the new coaches can turn it around. 

Hopefully he or his agent don’t listen to the media bullshit that goes on lol.

I think the perception from ESPN and the rest of the talking heads is incorrect.      Palmer and Dalton are the most recent QB the team invested with major picks.

Both made playoff multiple times.  Both had their best teams derailed by injury of a "bad luck" type against the Steelers.

Palmer's legit gripes are probably being saddled with Bratkowski over Marvin and his wishes.   Also 2004/2005 draft classes experienced a high number of games lost due to injury and off the field suspensions.   The Bengals never reacted swiftly to back fill the talent loss.    Both 2006 and 2007 they finished just out of the playoff race. 2008 the wheels came off but the rebuild already begun with Zimmer and then a series of quality vet acquisitions.  They then rebounded in 2009 to win the division and sunk again in 2010.   (Why to this day is Palmer absolved of his horrible 2010 season?; he got a ton of upgrades to a division winning team). 

Then the infamous end of 2010 meeting and retention of Marvin occurred.   Drafting improved.  Player personnel moves improved.  Tobin became more visible etc.

Dalton benefitted greatly from what Palmer didn't want.    Dalton's most recent losing seasons are the product of bad drafting and not filling the talent loss with free agency AND trying to hold on to 2015 which actually benefitted Dalton because they passed on generational QB talent in order to try to keep the window open.

(Why is Dalton absolved of his horrible 2013 playoff game?; given an extension; and then absolved of his 2014?)

I've said many times that draft classes aren't created equal.   The media and fans get it wrong by treating it as such.   The question the remains was their excellent drafting a product of loaded draft classes?  Can it be repeated?   Then the string of quality vet pick ups were tied in with Zimmer.   Can that be repeated? 

The people projecting Burrow's doom with the Bengals never get into the details of situation.    At some point players have to look in the mirror and realize they just weren't good enough.  

I'll be interested to see how fast Joe Burrow times in the 40.      There was one play on scramble with Simmons in pursuit.   It appeared Simmons would hunt him down before the first down marker,  but Burrow was able to get the first down and jump out of bounds prior to Simmons arriving.  

Simmons is supposedly pretty damn fast. 

1 hour ago, volcom69 said:

So many media/ ESPN telling Burrow to pull an Eli and not play for the Bengals, demand a trade.

Man nobody want anything good to happen to the bengals lol. Man when Peyton Manning went to the Colts they were a terrible team. Yea the owner sucks the franchise is terrible I get all that, but maybe getting a good QB, hopefully the new coaches can turn it around. 

Hopefully he or his agent don’t listen to the media bullshit that goes on lol.

While a holdout would not totally surprise me, I really don’t expect it. The problem for Burrow in this scenario is twofold: one, he’s up against the stubbornest owner in the NFL and I have no doubt Mike would hold his rights all the way up to the 2021 draft. Two, at the moment, there’s no guarantee of football beyond 2020 as the CBA goes bye-bye this year. So who knows when he’d play or how much he’d get. Based on Kyler Murray’s deal, he’d be turning down $35 million+ fully guaranteed. I just don’t see it.

2 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

I agree it’s just talking heads, but it seams as though all the talking heads just want to see the bengals fail. I’m guessing it’s because they are a low market team, and they want to see Burrow on some bigger market franchise! 

Small market team with a small disgruntled fan base and very little sports media that is also disgruntled.    There is no reason for them to develop and accurate view because well who cares? 

Really if you are a  national guy like Stephen A, are you really going to go against the perception and against the grain and make a point in favor of Mike Brown?  Hell no.  What for?     Easier and faster to just go with the group think.  

Marvin Lewis, Palmer, Dalton and AJ Green lack of legacy success in this league falls on their shoulders.   They had teams and simply didn't get it done.   The league is full of these type of teams.   Late 70 Houston Oilers,  Late 80/90 Houston Oilers.   Buddy Ryan Eagles.  Jim Mora Saints.  Dan Marino post 1984.  Kosar Browns.   Tomlinson/Brees/Rivers Chargers.  

Just the way the league is. 

4 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

While a holdout would not totally surprise me, I really don’t expect it. The problem for Burrow in this scenario is twofold: one, he’s up against the stubbornest owner in the NFL and I have no doubt Mike would hold his rights all the way up to the 2021 draft. Two, at the moment, there’s no guarantee of football beyond 2020 as the CBA goes bye-bye this year. So who knows when he’d play or how much he’d get. Based on Kyler Murray’s deal, he’d be turning down $35 million+ fully guaranteed. I just don’t see it.

I wouldn't expect it but I guess anything is possible.   However,  I think the talking heads in their lazy hot takes haven't over turned a key part that Burrow and Taylor already have a relationship via Nebraska.   

Bengals fans are starting to key on this link which was first uncovered by Chick Ludwig.   Supposedly Zac and Burrow's dad have been talking before the season ended.  That was uncovered by interviewing a former Bengal/Cornhusker on the day that Sam passed.

If it does happen; it's not the end of the world either.   The Bengals acquired a number of starters on their last Conference Championship team because Ricky Hunley refused to sign with them and they had to trade him.

33 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

I wouldn't expect it but I guess anything is possible.   However,  I think the talking heads in their lazy hot takes haven't over turned a key part that Burrow and Taylor already have a relationship via Nebraska.   

Bengals fans are starting to key on this link which was first uncovered by Chick Ludwig.   Supposedly Zac and Burrow's dad have been talking before the season ended.  That was uncovered by interviewing a former Bengal/Cornhusker on the day that Sam passed.

If it does happen; it's not the end of the world either.   The Bengals acquired a number of starters on their last Conference Championship team because Ricky Hunley refused to sign with them and they had to trade him.

Yeah, the back channel between Taylor and the Burrow clan is another reason I don’t expect any problems. If anything I’d expect talks to go more smoothly than usual.

I don’t think it’s that the talking heads are lazy, far from it. It’s that the 24/7 Content Monster demands to be fed continuously, and once you’ve burned through actual news there’s nothing to do but fill in the gap between that and the next actual news with speculation and bullshit. Throw in a media full of former NFL players who all have experience with Cincy’s poor management or have heard about it from their peers...and here we are. 

I'm really looking forward to FA. That'll give us an idea of their plan. Aside from drafting Burrow, which is a lock at this point. 

What are they going to do prior to the draft, and in the draft, to get our new QB what he needs?

All these other BS speculation and click bait articles are nonsense. Now get off my lawn!

10 hours ago, Stripes said:

Glad to hear it Jim. But how slow are you driving if it takes 3.5 hours? I live here too man, you can definitely shave off 60 minutes.

He probably threw in a little tailgate time.     Way back in the day Chris Perry's Dad used to stop by our tailgate for a couple beers and brats. 

4 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

He probably threw in a little tailgate time.     Way back in the day Chris Perry's Dad used to stop by our tailgate for a couple beers and brats. 

TJ absolutely loved Chris Perry’s game, probably wishes he could have hobnobbed with his dad, too..