Offensive Line

AMPHAR

It appears the same the previous couple TCs.  Line dominated by D-line.

Preseason OL looks decent because team’s play soft coverage which is a strength of Dalton’s getting ball out quick. 

Regular season comes and offense plays well against team’s that play soft coverages and really struggled against teams that press forcing delayed throws.

Going to have to scheme their way out of it and the good news is they have RBs that can create on their own. 

Bad news is durability and with Marvin and Co. they constantly got away from running the past couple years. 

Mixon’s rookie year for some reason they had to give Hill some carries.

Going to have to stick with running game and hopefully that can open things up for them.   O-line isn’t going to be able to protect constantly for deeper drops. 

More than expected drives will be wasted due to tackles for loss on RBs or holding. 

• 2 weeks later...

Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota were considered "can't miss picks" as was RG3.  As good as Fromme, Herbet, and Tagovailoa look there are no guarantees that any of them are better than Dalton.  Last I checked the combined playoff win percentage from Winston, Mariota, Griffin, and Watson are the same as Dalton's, whereas 2nd Rounder Brees, 3rd Rounder Wilson, 4th Rounder Prescott, and 6th Rounder Brady are the class of this generation....It is a myth that you must spend a high first round pick to draft a great QB.  Dalton has proven he can win a lot of games in this league with a competent OLine...I would go to war with Trent Williams, Jordan, Hopkins/Price, Hopkins/Price, and Glenn as my starting 5 and the team might shock a lot of people.

Oh...and it might show the fanbase that you give a damn about winning....

• Like 2

My question would be how much football is he ready to play?  Disgruntled can go away and sometimes it stays.    Are you going to have to throw him a new contract to get his best?  Is his best still possible?

Cordy Glenn once upon a time was mentioned with Whitworth.   Cordy Glenn hasn’t resolved line issues. 

Trent Williams.  You could be giving up draft value just to have a team unload a contract on you. 

As far as draft picks and future QBs.  It is fact our 4th rounder looks better than some first rounders.  But I think this was a down QB class at the top of the draft. 

Legit franchise QBs are looming in next’s years class.  

Williams would boost both OLT and RT positions.  Glenn is a more natural RT so sliding him over would be a perfect fit.

As for Williams being fit to play this is a barely 30 year old who has graded out as a top tackle in the league 4 years in a row.

Dalton, while he has won some games and I honestly like and root hard for, has serious limitations that any fan that has watched for more than a season should be well aware of.
I was very happy they decided to stick with him this year, along with the decision to take the best O-lineman available in the first.  I don't think that decision equated to a long term commitment to Dalton.

I simply figure that eventually Taylor is going to want his own QB that he was responsible for drafting and as much as I've liked what we've seen from Finley, it's still early to tell if that equates against #1's.
Again, if they feel they are going to win with Dalton, then sure send the pick to Washington and continue building the line.  If Taylor is waiting to see what QB is available, they hold the pick.

I've made it known that I would have no problem with bringing Williams in from Washington, but agree with some of the concerns mentioned by AMPHAR.
Enough to say no to a potential deal ??  No, but they are worth considering.  I would be more excited about THIS season if they could get Williams here.

I'd give up a 2 to Washington for Williams if an only if they coudl also sign him to a fairly friendly (incentive laden) contract/extension that would keep him here for the next 5 years

unless all those conditions are met, I'd rather take our lumps again this year, especially with Jonah returning next year

All Hail the return of Westerman!

Anyhoo if your sitting around thinking this team is going to suck or be mediocre and out of the playoffs. 

To be honest Trent Williams isn’t changing that.   He might make enough of an impact to drop this team to drafting in the low teens vs top 10 range. 

With the class of QBs coming, the prospect of the Bengals being a 6 win team, and the fact mediocre vet QBs will cost you 20-30 mil in cap room.

I’m holding on to the 1st round pick. 

Because if the season goes south like most posters on here express after every holding call in the preseason.   There are many options:

1. Bench Dalton.  See what you have in Finley and simultaneously suck for a chance at QB lotto.  Hopefully upgrade the position while cheaper the next 5 seasons. 

2. If Finley looks good.  Use higher pick for help.

Either way you making a change at QB and avoiding 20-30 mil cap room suckage with the next Dalton deal.  Which he will get.