2nd Round Pick: Drew Sample, TE, Washington

ArmyBengal

Boy does it. Every explanation for why they made that selection has been blown up too. They don't run two TE sets, they haven't used him for his supposed blocking abilities in 11 personnel, and he barely sees the field. Just...awful. Add in that he was taken 1-3 rounds too high and it was a spectacularly awful pick at this point. I assumed when they made it the new staff had a specific plan for him, but...guess not.

• Like 1

Knee jerk reaction.    Shitty run blocking from the line disrupts this whole offense.

They run the ball 29% of the time so far.  

373 plays and logged 108 carries.  

He’s played about 24% of the snaps which is close to the % of the time they run it.

I don’t really see an issue other than the run blocking is crap. 

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

There’s precious little you can judge about any player on this team right now because it’s just so bad. Even players we know have talent, like Mixon, look terrible. I have no idea whether Sample is any good or not.

Yea I was thinking this from the second game on, most of this team has been the same as last year, and somehow they look worse? I have no clue!

Even the talented players on this team are trash!

There was concern with this line when we thought they had

Williams, Glenn, Boling, and Price.

3 of those haven’t played and Price has struggled earning a starting gig. 

They couldn’t run block in the preseason.  Their suck has sabotaged any way to judge anything offensive. 

• Like 1

No one had a 2nd round grade on Sample, and so far he's proving why.  His lack of impact of any kind, regardless of how bad the o-line is, says they should've picked any # of other position players who could've added quality depth or challenged for a starting spot.  

"Maybe" that changes at some point, but so far, he and Pratt both look like throw-away's.  You gotta get more out of your top 3 picks, more often, they don't.  I'm done waiting around and making excuses for the Bengals, they don't deserve it.

Drew Sample isn’t playing more snaps because they aren’t running the ball because the push from the line is so poor.   The o-line has been overmatched the entire season except for an opening drive against Arizona. 

The TE group as a whole is losing snaps to Gio, Tate, and Erickson because they stand a better chance beating those match ups vs running the ball into the backs of linemen. 

The tackle taken after Sample has been grading out at the same level as Hart so there’s no miss there. 

There is no magic bullet.  The line sucked two years in a row and every upgrade has failed or yet to materialize.  

The guy plays a level of snaps consistent with the frequency of the number running plays called.  

We see a lot of 3 WR sets to get a defender out of the box.   2 TE sets with them in line just adds defenders to the box and they can’t win blocking 6 and 7 man fronts.

It doesn’t appear he’s failed to compete for a job.  

• Like 1