Geno Atkins 4-Year Extension! And now Dunlap Too !!

membengal

Adam SchefterVerified account @AdamSchefter
FollowingFollowing @AdamSchefter
More

Geno Atkins: 4-year extension for $65.3M, $25.5M in first year, per source. More than 50% contract($37.5M) paid in first 2 years. $16.3M yearly average is highest yearly average signed by a 30+ year old non-QB in NFL history.

33 minutes ago, Stripes said:

I know it’s ultimately a meaningless discussion, but I’d be curious to know where y’all would rank Geno all-time among Bengals defensive players.

#1 and that will be borne out when he becomes the Bengals second player to become  a first ballot hall of famer.

25 minutes ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

The best part of this is that it makes Dalton a very tough guy to extend after next season, despite the fact both contracts are front-loaded, that's a ton of cap space eaten-up by 2 players.

Get ready for the Matt Barkley era!

I think it makes him easier to extend.  Dalton or Green.  

2 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

I think it makes him easier to extend.  Dalton or Green.  

Correct. They can do both when the time comes. Shula sometimes has to really reach to be a dick. 

12 minutes ago, slf said:

#1 and that will be borne out when he becomes the Bengals second person to become  a first ballot hall of famer.

He’s definitely good enough for that, and in a bigger market I’d agree.  Maybe I’m jaded, but I can already smell the snubs coming.

6 hours ago, Stripes said:

I know it’s ultimately a meaningless discussion, but I’d be curious to know where y’all would rank Geno all-time among Bengals defensive players.

I haven’t seen enough of the guys in the 70s Parrish, Bacon, Riley, but in the 80s and 90s I have Geno beating out guys like Krumrie, Hundley, Fulcher, J. Smith, Spikes...

I guess Geno is my number 1.  He completely takes over games.

Two great players and two pretty great guys, too.  Just talented people.  Remember when Dunlap came out of Florida with a reputation for being lazy?  He fixed that, dude’s always in shape and is a great teammate.  I’ve actually forgiven him for chasing Troy Smith all over the place and eventually beating us in that national championship game.

Where does Geno rank as an All-Time Bengals defensive player ??  Sorry, but he's #1.
That's not just love for my favorite player, that's a fact.  The guy is already discussed as one of the best DT's of all-time. 
I think there's an article about him on Cincinnati.com yesterday that dives into it further.

Twice named an All-Pro, 6 pro bowls, led all DT's in sacks in 5 of his 8 years in the league.
Others with numbers like those are already in the Hall of Fame.

GENO = ANIMAL !!!

• Like 1

• ArmyBengal changed the title to Geno Atikins 4-Year Extension! And now Dunlap Too !!

I'd call him #1 too, with the same caveat Gap stated:  I haven't seen enough footage of the big '70s names to draw a fair comparison.  I've never even been sure Riley was as great as his interception numbers make him look (sometimes average corners get a lot of picks because QBs love throwing in their direction -- see DeAngelo Hall or Deltha O'Neal).  He might have been, but I wouldn't know.

Warren Sapp and John Randle are guys that come to mind when I think DT/pass rush.

Sapp- 96.5 career sacks.

Randle - 137.5 career sacks

Geno stands at 61.

He’s going to have to push 100 sacks maybe more if the Bengals don’t start making noise in the playoffs.  

If not, he’s in danger of getting snubbed. 

• ArmyBengal changed the title to Geno Atkins 4-Year Extension! And now Dunlap Too !!

I think the article also made mention of one of the Hall contentions being:
"Many good players from great teams, but not many great players from good team"
Maybe that philosophy changes, maybe not in regards to championships.
If not, the Bengals better figure this shit out.

Had the Bengals won Super Bowl XVI, Kenny Anderson is already in the Hall.
It's a shame.

Cincinnati is a small market.  Not a lot of sports media.  Small fan base.  Gets more disrespect from National or other market media vs. respect.

Bengal players have to leave no doubt when it comes to media voting awards.

IF they ever return to a Super Bowl or win one maybe that changes.